E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Musty A/C odor question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I guess it depends on the dealer. I haven't had any issues with my dealer so far.
Did you purchase your vehicle from them new or used? I purchased my vehicle (used) from a MB pre-owned dealership. The MB service department has treated me like their redheaded stepchild (no offense to anyone with red hair and/or who is a stepchild). It makes me wonder if they (the MB service departments) give preferential treatment to new car buyers.

BTW...I have prepared a "request for reimbursement" letter (with supporting documentation) that I will be sending to MBUSA in tomorrow's mail. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by jkv11503
Did you purchase your vehicle from them new or used? I purchased my vehicle (used) from a MB pre-owned dealership. The MB service department has treated me like their redheaded stepchild (no offense to anyone with red hair and/or who is a stepchild). It makes me wonder if they (the MB service departments) give preferential treatment to new car buyers.

BTW...I have prepared a "request for reimbursement" letter (with supporting documentation) that I will be sending to MBUSA in tomorrow's mail. I'll keep you guys posted.
Actually I purchased my car from a non-Mercedes dealer out of state, but the local Mercedes dealer has been great so far and has provided me with a loaner 2008 ML350 during all service and repairs.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E Class
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Current: DTB P-B-83.30/74f MAR07 Air conditioning musty/moldy odor complaints. The Wynn’s cleaning system is no longer used, replaced with MB Contra Sept. ALL filters will be replaced, evaporator cleaned, and evaporator control settings updated under warranty.

To reduce the possibility of this condition to reoccur, operate the blower at higher speed especially during humid conditions. For vehicles with a REST function, it also helps to use this feature during humid conditions when parking the car.

Note: If the odor returns within three months of having the evaporator cleaned a new slanted heater box bottom (part # A211 830 22 03) which allows the condensation to drain better and a coated evaporator (part # A211 830 07 58 - both parts entered production VIN A675828 & X171590) will be installed.
Can you send me a copy of DTB S-B-83.00/115 & S-B-83.30/74p. Thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
My wife was complaining about the musty odor in our E500. It now has 101,500 miles on it and a long trail of parts replaced.

I gave it my best shot to kill the odor.

1) I did not confirm metal/chemical corrosion issues
2) I don't have the MSDS sheets
3) What I did worked.

My plan:

1) Remove both under hood and dash filters
2) Close up under dash leave open under hood
3) AC to max but not recycle
4) start engine w/ ac on
5) Sprayed continuous lysol into the fan inlet until I began
to get a mist from the dash vents.
6) Shut it all down and put cover on under hood filter (no filter)
7) close all dash vents and shut car
8) Let it sit overnight
9) Install ALL new filters

Results:

No more odor wife happy and car never left my shop.

I know there are those who will say this doesn't follow MB procedure.
My view. No warranty after 100K miles it's my car and this is what I did and how it worked for me.

Your results may vary and as I have no way of knowing how your vehicle is built can't be responsible for each variation in how it may work in your car.

But it did work in mine. Maybe I am just dumb lucky.

I wish ya'll the best on odor removal.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
vettdvr:

I'm happy I'm not alone. Once the car has proven reliable (90 days), I kept it away from dealers. I'll keep doing so until I bash my head on granite. So far, excellent.
The dealer mentioned that my warranty wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on if I did not service the car at a dealership. My answer: I'll take my chances, just watch.
To me there are so many rogue or unqualified technicians at dealerships that they, unwillingly or otherwise, become the origins of many of the sins that afflict cars, specially under warranty or from gullible customers.

Cheers, JV