E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is the cupholder worth the money??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a J spec 07 E350 Aventguard S for my wife here in Japan and the car does not have front cupholders, just a storage box. I hear everyone gripe about the cupholders but is it worth buying one? I saw one on ebay for $110 !!! and another on ebay.de for 10,5 Euros (unfortunately, I don't even know if they will ship to me). Are there other options?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec

I have never used the cup holder in the 5 weeks I have owned the car; I am thinking of puting it away somewhere safe, to give me more storage space. I think I will only need it when my wife travels with me because she loves her tall cup of tea, other than that I would never use it.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The USA spec butterfly top console cupholder was a pop up device that looked great but.....

The drivers cup holder will hold a 12 oz soda can rather well, (nothing wider) and it's deep to greatly reduce the chance of a spill. The passenger cupholder is a raised platform with an inch and a half deep "holder" that will surround the bottom inch and a half of a cup. I would only use that cup holder while parked as a place to rest the drink while buckling the seat belt or looking at a map... and NEVER while in motion, and never without holding the drink while it is in there if you are in motion. There are expensive electronics beneath the console that do not mix well with liquids.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
It is a neat device and impresses people because it is completely spring powered. I have seen them for less on e-bay. It looks fragile and would not
appear to take much abuse. I would agree that the capacity is rather limited
Perhaps other cultures do not require 44 ounce cups to satisfy their thirst.
I would pay $50 for a replacement if (when)this one breaks
Old 08-07-2007, 03:44 PM

2004 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The USA spec butterfly top console cupholder was a pop up device that looked great but.....

The drivers cup holder will hold a 12 oz soda can rather well, (nothing wider) and it's deep to greatly reduce the chance of a spill. The passenger cupholder is a raised platform with an inch and a half deep "holder" that will surround the bottom inch and a half of a cup. I would only use that cup holder while parked as a place to rest the drink while buckling the seat belt or looking at a map... and NEVER while in motion, and never without holding the drink while it is in there if you are in motion. There are expensive electronics beneath the console that do not mix well with liquids.

I almost crashed my car bc of the cup hold. I have one of these 32oz cup with the small bottom. It fits in the passenger side perfectly. As it was resting the cup holder I was make a right hand turn on to street I live on, and from the corner of my eye I saw the cup starting to fall over. My reflexes cause me to grab the cup but in the process I let loose the steering wheel and i was head for the park cars. but thank god these car are very nimble and I was able to catch the soda and avoild the park cars. so ever since that day I dont us the cup holds
Old 08-07-2007, 04:27 PM

W164 ML350, S211 E500 4MATIC T, Specialized FSR
In germany you can purchase the cup holder at a MB dealer for approx 30 - 38 Euros. So $110 is way to much + shipping to Japan = $20. ebay germany may be a good solution for you, however cup holdres are not as popular in germany as in the US so availability may be limited on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Original-Cupholde...QQcmdZViewItem

This one only ships in germany and it says that it gets stuck when you open it and you need to manualy assist.

Also do you have the roll-up storage compartment or the two way fold out version? For the roll-out storage compartment there is a different cup holder package available that sits inside the compartment.

Can you not order one from MB Japan?

Last edited by gonsorellie; 08-07-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: URL did not show correctly
Old 08-07-2007, 04:57 PM

W164 ML350, S211 E500 4MATIC T, Specialized FSR
Cup holder for W211 [fold out version]

MB Germany. 39€
Order Nr. B66920118
Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 PM

E500
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM

I agree that the spring loaded cup holder at first is like a magic trick to those who are easily amused (thats me). I only use it in a pinch due to electronics and a light interior. So is the cup holder worth the money? I guess that depends on whats going in the cup.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:23 AM

2004 E500 4matic
Originally Posted by lasvegas99
I agree that the spring loaded cup holder at first is like a magic trick to those who are easily amused (thats me). I only use it in a pinch due to electronics and a light interior. So is the cup holder worth the money? I guess that depends on whats going in the cup.
I had my cup holder replace under warranty. However the cup holder at my dealer was 104, and my dealer is very very expensive. So 110 is a rip off..
Old 08-08-2007, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
So, the general consensus, is lukewarm. Its OK for the driver to put a 12 oz. soda can, or a thin coffee container in there, but not safe as a cupholder for the passenger's beverage. I wouldn't spend a hundred bucks on one that was missing unless I had to replace it on a lease return.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Wait until you have a panic stop and spill the drink in the cup holder...

The Liquid WILL leak into the shifter

The car will be towed to the dealer and the tab to replace the electronic shifter
will be North of $1,000.00

This is why I upgraded to the EURO clam shell console for the W211