E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

disable the beaping sound that goes on when u drive without a seat belt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
The post seems to have gone, but last week there was mention of this being related to driving business colleagues or clients. IMHO I would not hesitate to ask such to put on a seatbelt, if for no other reason than to stop the beeping so that the conversation can continue. If friends or relatives, even easier: Put on the seatbelt, or the bus stop is right over there...

If it's my kids: Put on the seatbelt or I *will* take you to the orphanage
(only kidding :o)
Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Almost a Member!

You guys are annoying thread hijackers... The topic of this thread is how to disable the beeping sound, not "Should people wear their seatbelts?" or "Should MB have a beeping sound?"...

Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Baloney. Talking about seat belt use when someone wants not to wear one is fair game, and forum members looking out for each other's safety is fne with me.

How about a thread on not stopping at stop signs? Or red lights? Do you think its hijacking for someone to say, "that's not a good idea". Same goes here.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
When cars will have feature of automatic stopping at stop signs or red lights, then we will discuss how to disable it. I doubt that people really concerned about other members safety. I didn't wear seat belt few times, and nobody pointed me about that in real life. So virtual concern about somebody safety isn't more than thread hijacking.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:41 PM

2005 E500 Pewter/Ash
AMEN!! My whole point was how to disable it because it thinks anything over 2 pounds is a passenger - now THAT'S ANNOYING!

If someone wants to start a thread about "Why I Don't Wear Seatbelts" - then go right ahead, and good luck.

Meanwhile - I'll go on looking for a solution that's a little less ghetto than combing the junkyard for an extra buckle.

Originally Posted by Technique
You guys are annoying thread hijackers... The topic of this thread is how to disable the beeping sound, not "Should people wear their seatbelts?" or "Should MB have a beeping sound?"...

Old 10-10-2007, 03:46 PM

08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
Seat Belts

Spend a day in the emergency room and see the needless injuries from unrestrained drivers and the only way you'll want to disable the beeping sound is by buckling up.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by KennyDFW
AMEN!! My whole point was how to disable it because it thinks anything over 2 pounds is a passenger - now THAT'S ANNOYING!

If someone wants to start a thread about "Why I Don't Wear Seatbelts" - then go right ahead, and good luck.

Meanwhile - I'll go on looking for a solution that's a little less ghetto than combing the junkyard for an extra buckle.

the proper way to disable the seatbelt chime is to isolate the seatbelt buckle harness (2 wires) and splice in a resistor that is equivalent to the one integrated in the buckle assembly. the best way to do this is to source a matching 2 pin connector and solder the resistor to it. then you simply unplug the buckle harness and plug in the connector with the resistor attached.

and yes... it is *impossible* to have a seatbelt chime discussion without it turning into a safety lecture from mom and dad.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by rob13572468

and yes... it is *impossible* to have a seatbelt chime discussion without it turning into a safety lecture from mom and dad.
I'm a dad.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Almost a Member!

'08 E350 Sport, '03 Lexus GX470
My mother's 211 had a similar issue (among many others) where the seatbelt warning would chime even when the driver's seatbelt was connected and there was no one in the passenger seat.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 PM

13 E350 , 12 BMW 328i
the dealer should be able to disable it. mines is disabled , and just show a picture of a seat with the seat belt in the intrumental guage.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:29 AM

E200 K
I can't see why having the seatbelt on is so disturbing for some people. When you wear trousers don't you put on a belt to keep them on your waist?

You put clothes everyday don't you? Isn't clothing annoying? Some type of clothing sometimes restricts movement but still people put them on.

I am using seat belts for almost all my life. I have been using seat belts since i was 6, years before it became mandatory by law in my country.

Like belts on trousers, the seat belt in your car keeps you in your seat, preventing injury. Law or no law making its use mandatory, makes no difference. The seat belts should be used by everyone in a car.

People who transport items in trucks why do they tie them down with ropes?

It is the same principle. A moving mass always wants to keep moving and when a car suddenly stops your body will definitely keep moving towards the windshield unless your seat belt is able to stop that motion.

Long story short, the smart thing is to make use of the seat belts. Not the other way around.

And speaking of the seat belt warning signal my opinion is that it has a nice "tune" to it as it beeps for a while then changes the beep and volume and after a while it changes again.

Last edited by paulk84; 10-13-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by paulk84
....And speaking of the seat belt warning signal my opinion is that it has a nice "tune" to it as it beeps for a while then changes the beep and volume and after a while it changes again.
AHA!!!! Clearly, you *have* driven without your seatbelt, or you would not know this!!! J'accuse : Officer, do your duty
(BTW just kidding along...)
Old 10-13-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
What is your country? For example there are no seat belts in India. It is useless feature because cars do not move over 25MPH. I can tell that I'm riding my bike at this speed quite frequently and do not have a belt either. Many people have commute in very crowded areas, so average speed is around 3-5MPH, so why do you need seat belt on in this case?
Finally you car can fall in the water from a bridge and you can struggling to get seat belt off and finally die.

Another fact, I do not wear any belts, rings, or piercing. I feel very uncomfortable if something presses agents my body.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E550
Originally Posted by Dema
Another fact, I do not wear any belts, rings, or piercing. I feel very uncomfortable if something presses agents my body.
Thank you for sharing. Hey, aren't you the guy who was busting on someone for thread hijacking?
Old 10-13-2007, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Yes, I'm. I hate when people hijacking threads and teach others without properly obtained teaching license.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
I'm sorry to say this and being blunt, but are you some kind of idiot that don't wear belts when driving. WOuld you rather get thrown out of the car and get killed if you were to get in an accident or get a ticket? Geez, people in this world.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 AM

05 E320 CDI, 03 HD F250, 04 B/B SEEG, 98 ANN RK
Hi all, new here with a lot of questions, long time member here http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php and this question is one of them!

I jump in my car to go to work, throw my beret (Army) an apple and a bottle of watter on the passenger seat and 1/2 mile down the road I have to bob & swerve as I try to buckle up no one. My wife's Nissan knows that a water does not equal a person, why can't my E320? I thought I bought a smarter car than that, didn't want to hill billy it up right away with a piece off of another belt!

To show my newbie status, can someone break down the W211 acronym for me? Thanks and I look forward to reading lots more! Jamey
Old 10-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
The dealer can adjust the weight sensitivity of the passenger seat.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 AM

2008 e550
i want to explain something to all of the people that by buckling the seat belt behind your back or getting a buckle from the junkyard is a very bad idea. not only is it very ghetto. i belive it is dangerous.

i am also very interested in disabling the "noise" that comes with not wearing the seatbelt. i recently went to the dealer and they recomedned the same ghetto solutions as some of the members on this forum.

i argued with the dealer and asked him for the paper/law that states that they cannot disable the noise associated with not wearing the seatbelt. he denyed me such evidence and simply said there is none. so i then asked him why he would jepordize my safety by encouraging me to trick the car into thinking i am wearing my seatbelt when i am not.

when one fails to wear there seat belt in a car that is technologicaly advanced as our new mercedes vehicles, and the car is involved in an accident, the airbag still deploys, but it dosen't deploy the same as it would when one is wearing their seatbelt. i think that the airbags can do more harm when the car thinks that the occupants are wearing their seatbelts.

why cant they just disable the stupid noise and keep the little light that is in the instrument cluster.

just my 2cents
Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 AM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
I would encourage everybody to wear their seatbelts. Even if you're moving at 3-5 mph that doesn't mean you shouldn't be buckled in because somebody might t-bone you at 30 mph with devastating results. However, when I had the TL I'd use a regular house key to stick it in the recieving end and disable the beeping noise by tricking the car. Then I decided it wasn't worth it so now I buckle up all the time. But the key method was very easy to do, there was no mods to the buckle and no foreign objects sticking out. Once I'd stick the key in and find the catch and "click" the key in I'd remove the key from the buckle alltogether. Anyways, be safe out there and only use the method for a non-human weight.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I don't think anyone addresses this forum with a question in hopes of getting a lecture. You migh point out the obvious (wearing your seatbelt is a good idea). Pretty sure the writer already knew that prior to the question. It is so refreshing to visit other parts of the civilized world where one is held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof). In defense of the dealer, how could disabling a seat belt chime be a safe bet for him in our lawsuit happy culture? Only bad things for him could come from that. I like the version where you are advised of a danger (unless it is patently obvious ), you determine the risk, versus the reward and you (not some attorney) live with the consequences. I know all about people becoming vegetables because they did not wear a seatbelt, motorcycle helmet, lose weight, stop smoking, running at night with dark clothes, skydiving, etc. It all depends on whose ox is getting gored.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 PM

2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
my 04 E500 only beeps on the first 5sec when you first started the car. I ask the dealer and told me "it is supposed to be like that" - a typical dealer response.

I tried testing it, travelling 80mph, unbuckle my seatbelt, nothing happens. not even the seatbelt light.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Roehl
my 04 E500 only beeps on the first 5sec when you first started the car. I ask the dealer and told me "it is supposed to be like that" - a typical dealer response.

I tried testing it, travelling 80mph, unbuckle my seatbelt, nothing happens. not even the seatbelt light.
Thats IS the way its supposed to be except that if you unbuckle when you say you did the light and beeper should start.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM

2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
Originally Posted by sosh
Thats IS the way its supposed to be except that if you unbuckle when you say you did the light and beeper should start.
I would try other MB service center to have it checked.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
What really upsets me is that MB has two ways it works the seatbelt routine.

On some versions of cars - certainly in the US, the airbags have alternate settings for whether or not you are wearing a seatbelt. So if you're not, then the bags deploy more aggressively.

Where they think they can get away with it, Europe for example, they put in cheaper airbags that only work if the belt is fastened.

On my CLS for example, if I choose to drive without a belt I actually get less protection from the car than I would from almost any other car I could buy!!!

Research clearly shows there is a benefit from airbags alone - so why does MB save a few dollars and put its customers at additional risk. I am not sure if I would have actually bought the car if I had realised this.