E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-24-2015, 01:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

2003 E320 Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Update - Last night I went ahead and started to see what I might be able to do to resolve the issue. Sorry no pics but seeing as this is an area that typically has fuel spillage, I didn't feel like subjecting my camera or camera phone to any solvents.

Anyway, I basically went in, flipped up the seats and opened up the left port covering the fuel filter assembly. it's held in place with about 8 bolts. the assembly itself has a one fuel tube coming out of it and 2 plugs. These come off and you're left with filter held in place by a large lid type cover that must be unscrewed. Thankfully, I was able to loosen the lid cover by hand.

when I looked at the fuel level area I could see a long bent wire that led to a black thick density styrofoam float. I then turned on the car to ACC so I could get a fuel reading. When I pulled the filter assembly out of it's housing lo and behold the fuel guage reading would drop.

My assumption at this point is that the wire coming from the fuel level sensor to the float must have been bent when the assembly was installed.

My question is which way to bend it so that the float will provide an accurate read for the fuel guage.

My solution (unless other advice provided) will be to 1 - bend the wire down. This would cause the float to move further down and hopefully give the sensor a more accurate read. Reinstall everything and drive around to see if it's fixed. Or 2 - bend the wire up, if I get an even worse reading from performing solution 1.

Another diagnosing thing I may try is to physically move the wire up and down to get a better read on the guage. The issue here is I can't pull the fuel filter assembly out far enough to move the wire because the fuel tubing above it is too short. If I remove the fuel tube and then turn on the ACC, the fuel pump will fire up causing fuel to spill everywhere. So, I may try to unplug one of the two wired plugs going to the filter that powers the fuel pump before I remove the fuel tube. The thinking here is I'll know with 100% certainty which way to bend the wire if I can move the float up and down and see what the fuel guage reading is doing. If when I move the float up, I see the fuel guage move up, I'll know I need to bend the wire up. Few other combinations here, but I think you guys see where I'm going, right?

Last edited by aa240sx; 06-08-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Good imput.

Nice to know at least some companies listen to their customers.

Unfortunately too many of them blame the customer for the problem so after a while your efforts feel wasted trying to give them information that will improve their business.

Dr Deming would say, "How do they know?" They have to have data and data comes from listening to the customers. Tom Peters would say, "listen to the customer nievely" basically as a child would to understand what the customer is trying to tell you. It is the supplier's job to translate the customer words however simple they may be into engineering terms for translation to manufacturing for product improvement.

Thank you for the MB information.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E 500 and 2006 ML 500
What are the symptoms of a dirty fuel filter?
My '03 E 500 is slightly over 52k miles and it started stalling while driving at over 2000 rpm, to me it seems like it is a fuel feed problem. Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Hez

2005 E320 CDI
symptoms of a dirty fuel filter.....

Firedragon1964
I changed my fuel filter based on mileage (recommended 20k miles interval). When I saw the breakdown in cost per item listed including the fuel filter, I got interested from a $$$$ point of view.
I found a posting (complete with photos) that showed how to change the fuel filter and gave it a try. All was successful.
I never experienced any problems. In fact, the car was running fine.
On a more general note, as the fuel filter becomes more and more dirty, the flow rate thru it will be limited at high flow rates. So, rolling around town at low to medium speeds may not produce any signs. But, on the expressways, you'll sense something. I would expect the mileage to be down also.
Good luck on your end.
Hopefully, other "posters" will contribute and you'll be well on the path to healing in no time.

Hez
Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 PM

'04 E320, '11 328i, '08 G37
Originally Posted by Hez
Firedragon1964
I changed my fuel filter based on mileage (recommended 20k miles interval). When I saw the breakdown in cost per item listed including the fuel filter, I got interested from a $$$$ point of view.
I found a posting (complete with photos) that showed how to change the fuel filter and gave it a try. All was successful.
On a more general note, as the fuel filter becomes more and more dirty, the flow rate thru it will be limited at high flow rates. So, rolling around town at low to medium speeds may not produce any signs. But, on the expressways, you'll sense something. I would expect the mileage to be down also.
Good luck on your end.
Hopefully, other "posters" will contribute and you'll be well on the path to healing in no time.

Hez
Hez, which posting are you referring to? could you provide a link

Thanks
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hez
Firedragon1964
Good luck on your end.

Hez
Hez, Do you have any links to the DIY fuel filter replacement.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I took my E500 2003 to the dealer for service at 80,000 asked to have the fuel filter changed, they said not to change until 125,000 miles so I didn't change it, At 125000 I sold the car.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 PM

Fuel Pump Receiver W211

I purchased the part from the stealership and now attempting to install the new pump/filter, hwoever one of the plugs which has three pins like the original does not fit the connection to the new part. Any ideas if perhaps I need to buy a neww connector to retrofit the part. I also noticed that the the 2 fuel hoses in the new unit seem to be a bit bigger than the original ones and it is tricky to fit them back on the receiver on the right hand side.
Please, let me know if any of you can help, otherwise I am basically suck. thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ml#post3624222