E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Navigation Service Update DVD??

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry-
By the way, after a trial of the new DVD version I can no longer use my previous DVD. The NAV system asks me to insert the correct DVD and does not like the original DVD.

Does anyone know how I can revert back to a previous software/Map version?

Current: V10; Previous: V4.1
I have the latest in and I can put in v8, v9, v10 and they all work.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320
I just found this thread and last post was on 2011 but hoping to find some answer.
I have original NAV map on 2004 E320, never updated it. found a 2016 dvd on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253238125314?ul_noapp=true

but description says I need service update disc also? I can't find on ebay, maybe it's too old. is there anyone with that disc on here?
Old 09-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Banned

The information is correct. The 2004 map DVD’s firmware had a bug which was fixed by the special tools update CD.

It is also not possible to jump from 2004 to the latest and last map DVD which is the 2016 one. You have to use multiple DVDs in between. On the 2006 map DVD was the last firmware update. The same firmware was put on all DVDs following up and including the last and latest which is the 2016 one.

Unfortunately MBUSA decided to not release more map DVDs for all cars that use the COMAND NTG1 with the navigation system in the trunk.

Last edited by Mackhack; 09-01-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320
Originally Posted by Mackhack
The information is correct. The 2004 map DVD’s firmware had a bug which was fixed by the special tools update CD.

It is also not possible to jump from 2004 to the latest and last map DVD which is the 2016 one. You have to use multiple dvds in between. On the 2006 map DVD was the last firmware update. The same firmware was put on all DVDs following up and including the last and latest which is the 2016 one.

Unfortunately MBUSA decides to not release more map DVDs for all cars that use the COMAND NTG1 with the navigation system in the trunk.

Is it possible to get some help from here. Looks like the torrent link is all broken.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
It's been well covered in the older threads. Or go over to benzworld.org and search the forums over there, they talk about the same thing. I think there was a more recent message in either this forum or the other forum where they mention a link to the most recent firmware update.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:11 AM
Banned

I have every single map DVD and the update CD for the nav as well as all official and unofficial COMAND update, too. Due to the long holiday weekend not near anything though.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E320
Hey, saw this pop up, I've been working on the same thing here.

I've linked a few things that are still live.....

BR AMDV
Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM

2008 SLK 350 EDITION 10
Talking 12-18 month exp. date

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I thought I would not need to add a smiley to my previous message, was not supposed to be a completely serious comment.

But MB actually has bulletins warning about copy discs, not because of the lower reflectivity that may not be sufficient for the (possibly intentionally) crappy DVD drive in the navi processor but because of the thickness differences and sometimes bad labels on the DVDs. This could be a mechanical issue from the copy DVD. Of course more likely that the navi processor DVD drive just started misbehaving.

This sounds about right and explains a bit from my experience. I have an 08' SLK 350, and more out of necessity (my original OEM disc was being stored and unfortunately was stolen) and my unwillingness to spend the msrp of a new oem disc, I have been using a dvd copy I made from a downloaded disc image. It was always strange to me when after about 12-18 months the disc would suddenly start having errors, which seemed to get progressively worse over time. The one thing I cant exactly make sense of it, it usually occurred most when I was navigating outside my typical home area (ie: 25-30+ miles away from where I live and where I normally use the navigation quite frequently). I would expect the regions I use often to "wear" quicker when they are being used frequently and have a hot laser pointed at them, but this wasn't the case from my experience.

After becoming frustrated with these errors after a few trips to a location outside the home area, I figured I have nothing to lose from burning a new disc and seeing if that resolves the issue. Much to my surprise, it totally resolved the issue and my nav was functioning just fine. I've had this happen to me twice... which leads me to believe that standard consumer discs, when subjected to the elements of being inside a car trunk 24/7 (and in the northeast -- subjected to extreme heat and cold!) just do not hold up as well. That's the only explanation I could come up with... so for now, I keep a spare DVD in a more climate controlled place in the home, ready to swap out when the current one fails 🤣🤣🤣
Old 11-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Banned

Over time the laser ages and the power will get increased by the controller to be able to read the disc. Burned DVD are not even near the quality of pressed discs and that only helps in making the laser lense less effective. If the disc is burned at full speed the quality is even less compared to slowly burned.

I just took my DVD out for the first time since I put it in in 2016 (last and final US map) and the disc is pretty scratched. That also makes it harder for the laser to read it and because it keeps trying to read it, power increase happens, the lens get fuller and eventually it will stop all together. Time for a new disc.

I hope that explains it.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Probably more like dust getting on the lense and on disc. I've popped my disc out, cleaned it and put it back in to get it working again. Dust on the laser would be harder to clean though, compressed air probably, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM

2008 SLK 350 EDITION 10
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Probably more like dust getting on the lense and on disc. I've popped my disc out, cleaned it and put it back in to get it working again. Dust on the laser would be harder to clean though, compressed air probably, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
I certainly tried that, and did eject the disc, in hopes that might "Reset" the system and also to clear of the disc, and i used a cleaner to gently wipe the disc. however, burning a new disc, i was back in business.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:26 PM

2008 SLK 350 EDITION 10
Over time the laser ages and the power will get increased by the controller to be able to read the disc. Burned DVD are not even near the quality of pressed discs and that only helps in making the laser lense less effective. If the disc is burned at full speed the quality is even less compared to slowly burned.

I just took my DVD out for the first time since I put it in in 2016 (last and final US map) and the disc is pretty scratched. That also makes it harder for the laser to read it and because it keeps trying to read it, power increase happens, the lens get fuller and eventually it will stop all together. Time for a new disc.

I hope that explains it.
Whenever I burn any optical media, personally I always do it as slowly as my machine allows, and I do not run any other applications nor use the machine while it in the process in an effort to minimize any chance of quality degradation.

What you suggest, makes sense, However, the part that confuses me is the way that if you apply that thinking -- the laser is going to emit higher power, and thus degrade the disc over time, then why do I only have a problem with the system not being able to read the disc when I am outside my home base? I would expect the system to display issues first when around home, because thats where the disc is being utilized most frequently. I don't quite understand why those maps around my home would work fine, but strangely, over 25-30 miles from my home and the disc could not be read, and those particular places I might use the maps maybe 2-4 times a month.. so we're talking maybe 15-20% of how frequently I would the maps when I am within 25-30 miles of my home. Does that make sense?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:47 PM
Banned

Not the disc degrades, the lense. Higher output means higher temperatures of the laser light. Same with your lenses in your headlights. They get dull over the years. Most people restore the cover and think that’s all it needs to have brighter lights again. Ok, that was OT.

Do you know where the home address data are being stored on your disc? I don’t know. Do you know what tracks hold the data that are fine? We examined a disc under a microscope once about 10 years ago and the further outside you go the worst the groves are and therefore it’s harder for the laser to read again (fault tolerance). Compared with a pressed disc there are no such flaws.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:20 PM

2004 mercedes s500 4matic
One only needs the special tools CD if you skip too many map updates done via the actual map DVD. The map DVDs have navigation processor firmware updates on them. If the gap is too big lets say from a 2005/2006 map DVD to a 2009/2010 map DVD then your firmware within the navigation processor cannot be updated the regular way and you need to use that CD to fill this gap. What the CD exactly does, I don't know but it works. I used the CD a few times in peoples cars after I installed a navigation system. It just works.
do you have a part number for the special tools cd
Old 10-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
82.85_524c.pdf (71.2 KB, 68 views)