E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E320 Bluetec advice needed please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'74 AMC Gremlin
Red face 2008 E320 Bluetec advice needed please

I am considering buying a 2008 E320 Bluetec under the EDP program and could use some input.

1. EDP.
Is the price fixed or negotiable?
Can the exchange rate affect my final price given there are several months between when I put my hold payment down and I pay in full?
Is the Rally package worth it or would we be better off planning our own Rally tour?
How troublesome is parking on the tour?
How is Deutschland's May weather?

2. Options.

Which options are must haves?
Must haves for us are heated seats and whatever is required for our iPhone to work most fully with the auto. We'd also like to be able to start the car from the house so it can warm up, but I'm not clear if that is possible with 'keyless go'.

Are the chrome options primarily for looks or do they really protect against fine scratches. I haven't seen them in person and the pictures I've found on the web aren't very good quality. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to opt for some of these. I do not want to end up with a tacky 'pimped' auto that says 'hey look at me I'm driving a benz'.

3. Why should we buy a E320 Bluetec instead of a Cadillac CTS?

I know this is a lot of questions. Tackle any you feel like. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I am ordering a E320 Bluetec with the following:

Premium 2 Package
iPod
Panoramic Roof
Parktronic
Electronic Trunk Closer
Voice Control
Bluetooth
18" E350 Sport Package Rims - those stock 16" wheels just don't cut it IMO.

You should buy the E320 Bluetec instead of the Cadillac since its more fuel efficient, its got boat loads more torque, and it looks more classy.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic

Premium 2 Package
iPod
Panoramic Roof
Parktronic
Electronic Trunk Closer
Voice Control
Bluetooth

You should buy the E320 Bluetec instead of the Cadillac since its more fuel efficient, its got boat loads more torque, and it looks more classy.
As a Bluetec owner with all the above options (less rims), plus more, I second that. The only other car I would select, is not available in the US, an S-Class v8 Bluetec diesel; not the hybrid version that was unveiled at a recent auto show. I installed the new KD-Box for the Bluetec to give it even more HP and Torque (installed after doing 10,000 miles on the car). I have had the car six months and done over 17,000 miles and enjoyed every moment of it.

Remote start is not available/possible for these MBs. I intentionally did not opt for any additional chrome; looks classy as it is.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 E320 Bluetec advice needed please-p1030893_1.jpg   2008 E320 Bluetec advice needed please-p1030894_1.jpg  

Last edited by pinebaron; 01-21-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:29 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec, Iridium Silver w/Ash, P2, iPod, Bluetooth & Voice control
I really enjoy the premium 2 package with the high intensity lights and washers. Very helpful in bad weather. iPod and bluetooth kit is ideal with an iphone.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 PM

'74 AMC Gremlin

Electronic Trunk Closer
I don't think I fully understand the benefit of this. Why get it?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 PM

'74 AMC Gremlin
Originally Posted by pinebaron
I installed the new KD-Box for the Bluetec to give it even more HP and Torque (installed after doing 10,000 miles on the car). I have had the car six months and done over 17,000 miles and enjoyed every moment of it.
I looked up the KD-box. I'd be afraid something would get damaged by adding it. No ill effects so far?

17k in six month. That's a lot of driving.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by steakneggs
I looked up the KD-box. I'd be afraid something would get damaged by adding it. No ill effects so far?

The KD Box is quite relaible and has no ill effects on the car.

The reason for the electronic trunk closer is sheer convenience. I can close the trunk from the inside of the car, or simply push a button on the trunk itself and it closes on its own. Relatively inexpensive option for the convenience.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec

No ill effects at all, only sheer exhilaration; it also increased my mpg a little. I try not to get carried away with the additional torque and power.

I did the 153 mile round trip to the office every day for a little over a year. I Initially did it in my beloved Ford Expedition; it was annoying since I had to fill up every other day. It was not the cost of gas that bothered me, I write it off, but going to the pump every other day. With the Bluetec I reduced it to every four days. It also made the drive to the office very interesting; I did not mind the 3 1/2 hr daily commute.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Premium 2 Package
iPod
Panoramic Roof
Parktronic
Electronic Trunk Closer
Voice Control
Bluetooth

One more very important option: FULL leather, not the inserts with tex, it ruins the car.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Remote start is not available/possible for these MBs. I intentionally did not opt for any additional chrome; looks classy as it is.
at the moment the Bluetech engine is not available in the IK, but what is 'Remote Start' please?

Regards
John
Sunny Torquay
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by glojo
at the moment the Bluetech engine is not available in the IK, but what is 'Remote Start' please?

Regards
John
Sunny Torquay
That was in response to a question in STEAKNEGGS initiating post where he asked if he could remotely start the vehicle parked outside, from inside the house to pre-warm it on cold days. On most vehicles this install is usually an aftermarket remote start kit, available from several retail outlets. The Mercedes electronics/controls, especially the Keyless Go versions, have no (known) provision or facility to intercept its wiring, software etc. to facilitate installing a remote start unit. I park mine in the garage
Old 01-24-2008, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
That was in response to a question in STEAKNEGGS initiating post where he asked if he could remotely start the vehicle parked outside, from inside the house to pre-warm it on cold days. On most vehicles this install is usually an aftermarket remote start kit, available from several retail outlets. The Mercedes electronics/controls, especially the Keyless Go versions, have no (known) provision or facility to intercept its wiring, software etc. to facilitate installing a remote start unit. I park mine in the garage
Thanks very much for that

Regrds
John
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
One more very important option: FULL leather, not the inserts with tex, it ruins the car.
Of course. All my cars to date have had full leather. While MB Tex is a pretty durable material, it doesn't feel like leather at the end of the day.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 PM

'07 E 320 Bluetec
Steakneggs,
I special ordered a '07 Bluetec, (I could not find one w/ all the options I wanted in the US). I ordered PP2, Pano roof, rear window shades, wood-leather wheel and bought the bluetooth adapter after delievery. I could not be happier. PP2 is great w/ the keyless go. I took delievery in mid-May. I have 23,000 miles right now.
My advise...If you plan on keeping this car for a long time, order exactly what you want since MBUSA has limited "on hand" stock with good options.
I also purchased some "take off" E63 wheels which really enhance the looks, sorry but the stock 16ings just don't do it.
As far as the EDP goes, I was going to take this option but a work conflict changed my plans. I would do it, I don't think the black forest option is really that good, you have more flexibility with the basic package.
Best of luck
Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Bluetec Driver, you are as bad as me in doing high mileage. I have 17,500 miles since new and I took delivery on 7/29. I have been off a month and not putting on more miles for the moment.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
can u get a CDI w/ AMG bumpers & 18inch 5spoke AMG rims?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by ProV1
can u get a CDI w/ AMG bumpers & 18inch 5spoke AMG rims?
Nope, well at least not here in the good ole US of A. You can blame MBUSA for their sheer stupidity, lack of intelligence. They still don't understand what their customers want. I say they need to fire people from the top over at MBUSA.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 AM

'74 AMC Gremlin
Originally Posted by Bluetec Driver
Steakneggs,
I special ordered a '07 Bluetec, (I could not find one w/ all the options I wanted in the US).
I have 23,000 miles right now.
My advise...If you plan on keeping this car for a long time, order exactly what you want since MBUSA has limited "on hand" stock with good options.
Have you tracked your mpg and has it been consistent over the 23k?

We are getting the car for my wife and it will be a significant expenditure for us so I want to make sure we make good choices on the options. I think it is going to work out for us and we'll be able to combine a nice vacation (actually postponed honeymoon) with the EDP trip. I have a better idea of what to get because of what I've read here. Now if she could just pick a color. I wonder which are the most common.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
What specs are you ordering with? Welcome to the MB family. You won't go back to any other car.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Have you tracked your mpg and has it been consistent over the 23k?

We are getting the car for my wife and it will be a significant expenditure for us so I want to make sure we make good choices on the options. I think it is going to work out for us and we'll be able to combine a nice vacation (actually postponed honeymoon) with the EDP trip. I have a better idea of what to get because of what I've read here. Now if she could just pick a color. I wonder which are the most common.
I realize you addressed your question to Steakneggs but my mileage has been consistent over 17,500 miles except for a slight improvement following the KD-BOX install. It was 33-34 till the fall now it is 32-33 in the winter.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:14 PM

2007 E320 Bluetec
2007 Bluetec purchased late in 2007

has PP1, wood steering wheel, blinds, bluetooth, white on cashmere. I was looking for the PP2 but couldnt find any late in 2007. The bluetooth works flawlessly with the iPhone (just give the car & phone time to sync the phone book) (if i recall there is a unique pairing code entered the first time you sync with the phone), the ipod adaptor in glove box works well enough. After 8,000 car is performing well.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:35 PM

'07 E 320 Bluetec
I drive 90 miles each day: 80 miles on highway and 10 on residential streets.
*Disclaimer-I am a leadfoot!
On the hilly 73 tollroad in Orange county I average 28.8 miles each way, going 80-90+ mph. If I take the slower more congested 405, I average 32+
When it's all said and done I average 28.6 miles per tank. "If" my wife was allowed to drive it, I'm sure she would get 33+mpg.
As far as color goes, I would stay away from the cashmere interior...it would be a nightmare to keep clean.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Bluetec Driver
I drive 90 miles each day: 80 miles on highway and 10 on residential streets.
*Disclaimer-I am a leadfoot!
On the hilly 73 tollroad in Orange county I average 28.8 miles each way, going 80-90+ mph. If I take the slower more congested 405, I average 32+
When it's all said and done I average 28.6 miles per tank. "If" my wife was allowed to drive it, I'm sure she would get 33+mpg.
As far as color goes, I would stay away from the cashmere interior...it would be a nightmare to keep clean.

Good luck
I have the same disclaimer and have been doing 153 miles a day (130 highway) on stock tires and rims and have never averaged less than 32 on the tank.

Last edited by pinebaron; 01-26-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM

'06 E320 CDI, NAV/HK Sound/Xenons/KeylessGo, '05 997 Carrera cabrio, '08 R320 CDI.
Thumbs up Alternative to Bluetec

I am considering buying a 2008 E320 Bluetec under the EDP program and could use some input.

1. EDP.
Is the price fixed or negotiable?
Can the exchange rate affect my final price given there are several months between when I put my hold payment down and I pay in full?
Is the Rally package worth it or would we be better off planning our own Rally tour?
How troublesome is parking on the tour?
How is Deutschland's May weather?

2. Options.

Which options are must haves?
Must haves for us are heated seats and whatever is required for our iPhone to work most fully with the auto. We'd also like to be able to start the car from the house so it can warm up, but I'm not clear if that is possible with 'keyless go'.

Are the chrome options primarily for looks or do they really protect against fine scratches. I haven't seen them in person and the pictures I've found on the web aren't very good quality. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to opt for some of these. I do not want to end up with a tacky 'pimped' auto that says 'hey look at me I'm driving a benz'.

3. Why should we buy a E320 Bluetec instead of a Cadillac CTS?

I know this is a lot of questions. Tackle any you feel like. Thank you.

In response to steakneggs original thread, I too was in the market for a new diesel e320 (bluetec) a few weeks ago but chose a 2006 e320 CDI instead - no adblue refills needed, smooth and reliable cast iron in line 6, proven 5 speed tranny. I bought with all the goodies - Heated seats/HK sound/nav/phone/keylessgo/power shades/wood steering/30K miles still warrantied - all except active seats and pano roof, for 39.5K. Paid ~20K less than new!

1) Sorry, I have little info on the EDP.
2) Essential options are really a personal choice, but for a luxury vehicle heated seats, HiFi sound, power shades/rear door shades, navigation, bluetooth phone system/wood steering all add to the perception and experience of "luxury" and adds to resale value. Also, any add ons or retrofits post purchase that one might wish for can be prohibitively expensive, so get all the goodies you might wish for up front!
3) Sorry, but the Caddy's just not in the same league - safety, luxury, power/performance, fuel efficiency, great resale value all in one package as in no other with this diesel benz.

Last edited by dieselophile; 01-26-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by dieselophile
In response to steakneggs original thread, I too was in the market for a new diesel e320 (bluetec) a few weeks ago but chose a 2006 e320 CDI instead - no adblue refills needed, smooth and reliable cast iron in line 6, proven 5 speed tranny. I bought with all the goodies - Heated seats/HK sound/nav/phone/keylessgo/power shades/wood steering/30K miles still warrantied - all except active seats and pano roof, for 39.5K. Paid ~20K less than new!

1) Sorry, I have little info on the EDP.
2) Essential options are really a personal choice, but for a luxury vehicle heated seats, HiFi sound, power shades/rear door shades, navigation, bluetooth phone system/wood steering all add to the perception and experience of "luxury" and adds to resale value. Also, any add ons or retrofits post purchase that one might wish for can be prohibitively expensive, so get all the goodies you might wish for up front!
3) Sorry, but the Caddy's just not in the same league - safety, luxury, power/performance, fuel efficiency, great resale value all in one package as in no other with this diesel benz.
I agree with your assessment with one exception - if the Cadillac is the latest CTS-V with the 550 bhp Blue Devil supercharged 7 liter engine. With a little bit of tuning I am sure it can produce the 600 + horses like the ZR-1 Corvette.

The mileage for this soon to be available engine option is likely to be one third that of the Bluetec but what the hell, horsepower under the right foot is worth it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 E320 Bluetec advice needed please