E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

05 Wagon Automatic cargo cover broken...Again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Wagon Automatic cargo cover broken...Again.

I was just wondering if anyone else with a wagon and the power cargo cover has had it stop working? The dealer replaced the motor once but now it has stopped working again. Maybe its a fuse. I couldn't figure out where the fuse for this is it isn't listed as being in either fuse panel.

I guess I will get it fixed again when I am due for an oil change.

Just to be clear, I am talking about the interior cargo cover and not the power liftgate.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
We've had problems with an intermittent cover ever since getting our car. It's been in the shop at least five times for repair, without success. Last time I picked up the car from service and it didn't work the first time I tried it...

Drives the wife-unit bonkers.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:53 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
I'm the second owner of my car, and my cover works fine, although I rarely use it. It just seemed to be doing a lot of work, *slowly*, that I just unhooked it and let it wind back into the seat top. I know it's not much help.

Anyway, good luck!!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by murman
wife-unit
Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 AM

2004 E500 4Matic Wagon
Fix for mine has worked for a long time

When I bought mine it was CPO, and the interior cargo cover was not working. So much for careful certification.

I took the car in for this and some other items, and they replaced the rear body control module, or something like that. It apparently was not the motor itself, but the control unit. They had to disassemble quite a bit of the rear compartment to get to the thing. The cover has worked perfectly ever since then.

On mine the power tailgate doesn't work every now and then when opening, but I've never been able to have it fail while in for service. When it does fail, trying it again usually gets it moving, so not a big deal.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 AM

Broken yet again...

I will now be on my THIRD time of the rear cargo cover not working. I think I should just give up trying to have it fixed. It works a couple weeks and then it goes out.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Sorry about that mate. When life throws these problems at me, I choose the path of least restistence - leave the cover open?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
anybody have a line on where i could pick up one of these great, "reliable" covers...mine was missing when i bought the car. Need it in stone...
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM

2004 E500 Wagon (w211)
Did you ever find out which fuse is applicable to the cover motor? I've got a duff cover that just stopped working the other day in rather extreme cold weather! Hasn't worked since!
Old 12-20-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 E320 Wagon
Same problem here

Our car is currently in for the cover repair (2md time) and the rear hatch latch that keeps opening slightly while driving and triggering and rear cover to open (3rd time).

Drives my "wife-unit" bonkers as well.

Great car overall except these nagging issues.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:18 PM

E350
I just had the same problem the (automatic) cargo cover is stone dead (E-350 wagon, 2006). Has anyone good ideals, I do appreciate.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
I can send a copy of DTB P-B-68.50/27d FEB07 for warranty coverage or DIY inspection to see if motor is being energized drive mechanism may be stuck. For vehicles up to VIN B014421 or X21300, guide rails may need replacement. If vehicle is equipped with rear SAM (signal acquisition module) part # 2115452101 or 2115452201, SAM may need replacement.

FYI EPC (MB electronic parts catalog) shows current motor drive part # for load compartment cover is 2118205442. Note original part was replaced 3 times.

PM email address.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:05 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC WAGON
cargo cover makes loud grinding noise when it closes.

i have a 2007 e350 4matic wagon. when the automatic cargo cover closes, well, when it reaches the end, it just grinds away as if trying to move it more. this lasts for about 5-7 seconds, then stops. it works perfectly when opening. just does the grind at the end of the "close cycle".

any ideas??

thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM

C320 CDI Estate, E500 4M Wagon
You'll have to get new rails, and probably new gears if you have had it happen a few times already. Not difficult to replace, probably $200 worth of parts.

Smash
Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 AM

Does anyone know how the sensors work for the luggage cover, the ones that let the motor know that the cover is engaged? Also, I'd love to see if there's a fuse somewhere that's blown, but nothing is listed on the fuse card that seems related.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by osunick
Does anyone know how the sensors work for the luggage cover, the ones that let the motor know that the cover is engaged? Also, I'd love to see if there's a fuse somewhere that's blown, but nothing is listed on the fuse card that seems related.
What's your issue? There are no sensors, I don't think. Just replaced my rails/gears - the tension on the motor when the mech is full up/down is what stops the system - assuming your motor is GTG, replace the rails and the gears and you should be in business.

HTH,

Smash
Old 12-03-2011, 05:29 PM

1995 e320 wagon
My 2006 cover works great but seems to make a lot of noise. Yesterday, one of the black plastic piece that protrudes out of the cover and engages the rail broke off. Any ideaa how to get the metal tube out of the cover? The handlw seems to hold it in the cover so it won't slide out. Does the plastic handle separate? I tried to pry it open but am afraid it will break.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by SmashF15C
What's your issue? There are no sensors, I don't think. Just replaced my rails/gears - the tension on the motor when the mech is full up/down is what stops the system - assuming your motor is GTG, replace the rails and the gears and you should be in business.

HTH,

Smash
The cover either works perfectly or not at all. One thing I've noticed is that I can usually make it work again by folding and then resecuring the rear seat. Could this really have any effect or am I just imagining things?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Sorry so long in reply. Yes, the car knows when the seat is up & secured. If the car thinks it is not, then cover will not work. There is a sensor or two located at the catch mechanism for the rear seat. Experiment a few times with lowering/raising the rear seat (driver's side). Leave the key in, on position 1. If you hear a 'beep' every time the seat is raised & secured, then the sensor is working. If not, then it's faulty. The front seats are also limited in rearward movement when the back seat is lowered - another clue if your sensor is working or not.

HTH,

Smash
Old 08-10-2013, 08:27 PM

w211
211 wagon liftgate locks rear seats

This is a Thread resurrection

Does anyone know if the rear hatch mechanism secures the rear seats from folding down?
I cannot fold my seats down since I disengaged the cover mechanism

Please Help!!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by MarrakeshRed
This is a Thread resurrection

Does anyone know if the rear hatch mechanism secures the rear seats from folding down?
I cannot fold my seats down since I disengaged the cover mechanism

Please Help!!
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that when you disengage the cargo cover, the rear (middle) seats won't fold down? That's not how it's supposed to work. What happens when you fold the seat bottoms forward and then release the latch for the reat seats? Do they not release and fold forward?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM

w211
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that when you disengage the cargo cover, the rear (middle) seats won't fold down? That's not how it's supposed to work. What happens when you fold the seat bottoms forward and then release the latch for the rear seats? Do they not release and fold forward?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They do not release and fold forward.

The cargo cover motors are disengaged.
The rear hatch is powered and works well.
The rear(middle) seats won't fold down passenger seats will not fold down regardless of the position of the rear seat cushions or the front seat location.
The dash beeps when the rear seat fold down lever is pulled but they are locked in place to the B-Pillar in the upright position. The clamp is engaged but the lever does not release the camp.
I first thought that this was a cable that became disconnected. (And I have not ruled that out) but it just seems too coincidental that this happened after the disengaging the shade motors. I thought that there must be a connection with the worm gear and motor for the rear shade cover…sorry for the long winded response.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
"They do not release and fold forward.

The cargo cover motors are disengaged.
The rear hatch is powered and works well.
The rear(middle) seats won't fold down passenger seats will not fold down regardless of the position of the rear seat cushions or the front seat location.
The dash beeps when the rear seat fold down lever is pulled but they are locked in place to the B-Pillar in the upright position. The clamp is engaged but the lever does not release the camp.
I first thought that this was a cable that became disconnected. (And I have not ruled that out) but it just seems too coincidental that this happened after the disengaging the shade motors. I thought that there must be a connection with the worm gear and motor for the rear shade cover…sorry for the long winded response."

Did you try to fold down the passenger side first? The cargo cover is attached to the driver side, so when you try to fold that down, both sides fold down, and it takes a bit of force to do that. The cargo cover should have nothing to do with folding down the seats. In fact, you can remove the cargo cover entirely -- but you have to at least partially fold down the seats to slide the cargo cover to the left with the left door open to remove it. Also, slip the cargo cover off the tracks and let it retract entirely before you try to fold down the passenger side.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 PM

w211
Hi Long Islander.
Thank you for your interest in Helping.
Yes. I tried that.
Is there a cable that attaches to the fold down lever or perhaps it's a fuse? (hummm) why didn't that occur to me before...
the rear seats just wont unlatch from the B-pillar
the head rest go down when I engage the lever but that's it!

Last edited by MarrakeshRed; 08-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM

w211
W211 wagon rear seat fold down mech.

Well, I found out that my W211 Wagon's rear (middle) seats have a cable connection to the fold down levers.
The mechanism needs to be replace inside the seat. ~435.00 from the service center plus ~ 2 hours labor to install it.
so...about 600.00 to fix the seats to fold down.

any body got a better idea?

Edit...after speaking with the dealers parts department directly and not getting a second hand quote from the service department of the repair shop (not the dealers repair shop) I have found out that the part is actually only ~100 dollars.
I will post the p/n later and the estimated cost for the dealer to install or ...

Last edited by MarrakeshRed; 08-20-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: update

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 Wagon Automatic cargo cover broken...Again.