E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Best Way To Sell My E550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Best Way To Sell My E550?

My wife is resigning her job to join me in retirement, so we are beginning to downsize our lifestyle. I need to find a home for the E550. What are the pluses and minuses of using AutoTrader versus eBay? Any others I should consider? What do you think I should ask for it? KBB and Edmonds are $6000 apart on private party value, so I don't really have a good idea where to start. The car has 7,000 miles and is in perfect condition.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I don't have an opinion of one over the other. A car like that will attract a lot of interest. Please allow me to caution you about the kind of people you don't want to attract. I had a guy call me about a car that was in Auto Trader. He came and parked a Land Rover at the corner of my lot. We got into the Impala I was selling, him driving, and drove around the neighborhood. His scam worked like this. He said he was afraid to drive any further as the car had been stored and had no current tag. As I got out of the car to assume the driver's seat, he simply drove away. No drama, no squealing tires, just calmly drove off. I was left totally in shock. I called my wife and the police in that order. The vehicle he left behind was driven away obviously by someone concealed. I am one in a miilion as he parked the car in a new housing development and planned to retrieve it later. A nosy neighbor got concerned enough to call the cops THREE times before they came to investigate. I got out for a towing fee as the cops (rightfully so) refused to let me drive it home. This young guy was very smooth. I am sure that this is an old scam but it worked beautifully on me and I consider myself to be fairly intelligent. Just remember that when you expose your possesions to 1/2 of the world population, you can expect some really clever crooks. A nice low mileage E will attract some bad elements.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Harley-Davidson
That is one I had never heard of.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
The best(?) easiest way it to take it to Carmax. They will give you a fair price very close to KBB with no haggle etc. The whole thing is over in about an hour. Granted you will not be able to get more that what they offer. It is take it, or leave it which is the way they do business.

On the other hand, do you want to spend time listing it on Autotrader or eBay and hope that you will get more than KBB. I for one can tell you that it will have to be a VERY special car for me to pay more than KBB for a used one.

When I got my E and had to sell my Linc Navi the MB dealer didn't want to pay enough and I took it to Carmax. Done!

But again, if you are retireing you might have enough time on your hands.... ?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
He said he was afraid to drive any further as the car had been stored and had no current tag. As I got out of the car to assume the driver's seat, he simply drove away.
I'm puzzled. If your car had a current license plate, I wonder how was he going to get you out of the car after driving the car around the neighborhood. Did he know you had no license plate before he came to look at the car?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
Originally Posted by sgaar
The best(?) easiest way it to take it to Carmax.
i've sold cars to carmax twice with good results
Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
I'm puzzled. If your car had a current license plate, I wonder how was he going to get you out of the car after driving the car around the neighborhood. Did he know you had no license plate before he came to look at the car?
I really don't know. He had obviously done this before. He was a minority in a whitebread area. He claimed that he was afraid of being harassed by the police. The whole thing was very smooth. Leaving the LR at my house was designed to lower my guard. After all, he was leaving collateral. He knew the car was not currently registered. It was a 96 Impala SS that I had in my garage for 5 years and had NO insurance. It was a bonehead play from the start but you live and learn. What I thought was going to be a 2 mile test drive almost ended in a huge loss for me. The cop said the only reason they stashed the car was because they were afraid of being stopped for the tag. They probably would have come back after dark with a roll back or a stolen tag. I do not know the ways of car thieves but they are certainly creative and while I still recommend private sales, there is a risk that one MUST recognize.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 E350
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
I really don't know. He had obviously done this before. He was a minority in a whitebread area. He claimed that he was afraid of being harassed by the police. The whole thing was very smooth. Leaving the LR at my house was designed to lower my guard. After all, he was leaving collateral. He knew the car was not currently registered. It was a 96 Impala SS that I had in my garage for 5 years and had NO insurance. It was a bonehead play from the start but you live and learn. What I thought was going to be a 2 mile test drive almost ended in a huge loss for me. The cop said the only reason they stashed the car was because they were afraid of being stopped for the tag. They probably would have come back after dark with a roll back or a stolen tag. I do not know the ways of car thieves but they are certainly creative and while I still recommend private sales, there is a risk that one MUST recognize.
As a sidenote... Wow!!! A 96 Impala! That is an interesting car. With the gearshift on the floor rather than the column... Glad you didn't lose it to some punks.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:26 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: E550 Sale

I can't speak for Oregon values, but in the Southeast I would expect between $45- $47 K on a trade/wholesale transaction, about $50K private sale, and around $52 - $54K dealer sale, with an MB CPO a little higher.

If you go to an MB dealer or CarMax vs. selling it privately, the difference (loss) to you will probably be about $5K. Whether that $5K is worth the effort of retailing, advertizing, test drives, etc. is a personal decision.

From personal experience, I agree that selling a clean, low mileage car to CarMax is painless, aside from leaving a few quid on the table. Your MB dealer may also have interest given the mileage and newness of your car.

Recognizing that new cars are not particularly good investments, the E550 is a pretty amazing all round car and year 1 depreciation is always the biggest hit. For what you will get for it now you won't be able to buy anything as good back for the money....you might want to consider keeping it if you can.

Best of luck.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (silver/black)
Do you belong to the Mercedes benz Club of America?

If so, I'd advertise there. There aren't a lot of E550's around and somebody who reads that magazine might be looking. It could be worth buy a one-year membership just to advertise the car.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by Davel
i've sold cars to carmax twice with good results
CarMax doesn't operate in Oregon, so that won't work for me.
Originally Posted by NCE500
Best of luck.
Thanks. Nice post.
Originally Posted by ock329
Do you belong to the Mercedes benz Club of America? If so, I'd advertise there. There aren't a lot of E550's around and somebody who reads that magazine might be looking. It could be worth buy a one-year membership just to advertise the car.
Interesting idea.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Sure wish I was in the market for an E550. Good luck man, we'll miss you around here.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Sure wish I was in the market for an E550. Good luck man, we'll miss you around here.
Thanks. You know, I never thought about leaving the forum. Maybe I'll lurk anonymously in the future.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

E 550 for sale

If you want to get an idea what your car is going for, check the LuxuryMotors.com web site. They quote the price of various 07 E 550's with different mileages. Luxury Motors is located in Chicago, their prices seem reasonable. Good luck with you sale.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:42 PM

i just hate how our cars lose such value so dam quickly
Old 02-22-2008, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Yup... One thing's for sure. A car is NOT an investment.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 AM

2005 MB E500
Especially Mercedes...
Old 02-24-2008, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All the more reason to buy a diesel...lowest depreciation is just one of the perks.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
Originally Posted by cyclerider
My wife is resigning her job to join me in retirement, so we are beginning to downsize our lifestyle. I need to find a home for the E550. What are the pluses and minuses of using AutoTrader versus eBay? Any others I should consider? What do you think I should ask for it? KBB and Edmonds are $6000 apart on private party value, so I don't really have a good idea where to start. The car has 7,000 miles and is in perfect condition.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Possibly interested. pm sent
Old 03-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by Dragoncoach
Possibly interested. pm sent
pm received. reply sent.