E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Tpms 2008 E320 Not showing tire pressures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320;2004 CLK 500; I took European Delivery of a 2008 E320 and waiting for it to get here.
Tpms 2008 E320 Not showing tire pressures

I have a new E320 and have been unable to see tire pressure. I get the message that the TPMS is active and can reset it. How do I see the tire pressures?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

By the way, I did went to Stuttgart to take delivery and the process was smooth as it could be. It took six weeks to make it back here to Texas to my dealer.

dnhill
Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by dnhill
I have a new E320 and have been unable to see tire pressure. I get the message that the TPMS is active and can reset it. How do I see the tire pressures?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

By the way, I did went to Stuttgart to take delivery and the process was smooth as it could be. It took six weeks to make it back here to Texas to my dealer.

dnhill
In the owner's manual, it states that in the U.S., no numeric tire pressure reading is provided. In Canadian market cars, the numeric pressure reading is provided.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by rkao
In the owner's manual, it states that in the U.S., no numeric tire pressure reading is provided. In Canadian market cars, the numeric pressure reading is provided.
That must be another change in the late model cars. On the 2005, it does show the pressure for each tire. I wonder if this can be enabled with SDS?

I assume it only gives you the flat tire amber light on the clock if it detects a difference in pressure, or a red MFD warning.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
The new tire pressure monitor is a simpler design, it will only tell you if the tire looses pressure, slow leak yellow message, fast leak is red. The normal message is what you see.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Gullwing
The new tire pressure monitor is a simpler design, it will only tell you if the tire looses pressure, slow leak yellow message, fast leak is red. The normal message is what you see.
One should read the car data card to be sure what is installed. I assume you are referring to the tyre pressure warning option (RDW) versus tyre pressure monitor (RDK or TPMS). The first one works without sensors in the wheels.

I learned some time ago that US cars actually have an option for the "real" TPMS with tyre sensors but still without the pressure display in the instrument cluster. I actually understood this is the case for all US W211 cars.

If this isn't SCN coded (the instrument cluster unfortunately mostly is), one could most likely activate the Euro/Canadian display mode with SDS.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by rkao
That's because MB knows that we in the US aren't intelligent enough to understand psi (or turn down mirror, tunnel mode, etc)
Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by wmhjr
That's because MB knows that we in the US aren't intelligent enough to understand psi (or turn down mirror, tunnel mode, etc)
Its more like we in the US are smart enough to know when these items arent working properly, all the time. Don't forget, MB has been coming off a well deserved last place quality rating on pre 07 211's. They HAD to eliminate, turn off or hide certain features that would otherwise mar total owner satisfaction while they re-polished their quality reputation. Should the car have these features? Sure, but take if from me they were very frustrating in my 2004 211.

Whatever features are installed my 2007, work ALL THE TIME. It was the fastest way fo MB to zoom back to the top. Fix what you can, hide the others temporarilly, while you work on their new & better designs to be reintroduced later.

The "Had it all" reference in my signature doesn't only apply to the options I ordered in my 2004 car! Oh I'm so clever.

I can tell you my '04 and my '07 don't appear to be the same car from the same factory. Oh what a difference. Do I miss the Mirror Tip Down and the TPMS, and the DIC Oil Level Check and the drive dynamic active seats, and the parking sensors? Yeah... but they all gave me problems routinely. That shouldnt happen on what was a $69,000 E Class.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Its more like we in the US are smart enough to know when these items arent working properly, all the time. Don't forget, MB has been coming off a well deserved last place quality rating on pre 07 211's. They HAD to eliminate, turn off or hide certain features that would otherwise mar total owner satisfaction while they re-polished their quality reputation. Should the car have these features? Sure, but take if from me they were very frustrating in my 2004 211.

Whatever features are installed my 2007, work ALL THE TIME. It was the fastest way fo MB to zoom back to the top. Fix what you can, hide the others temporarilly, while you work on their new & better designs to be reintroduced later.

The "Had it all" reference in my signature doesn't only apply to the options I ordered in my 2004 car! Oh I'm so clever.

I can tell you my '04 and my '07 don't appear to be the same car from the same factory. Oh what a difference. Do I miss the Mirror Tip Down and the TPMS, and the DIC Oil Level Check and the drive dynamic active seats, and the parking sensors? Yeah... but they all gave me problems routinely. That shouldnt happen on what was a $69,000 E Class.
Do you expect this stuff to be added back on the W212?

Is there a fit and finish difference between the two?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Do you expect this stuff to be added back on the W212?
Barry is 100% right the more options the greater operator error causes come backs and that counts in the reliability ratings.

It is a cycle, routine, Models run 7 years at MB. First year few options second year a few more, third a few more options and color and trim options, fourth year all the stops come out this is as good as it gets cause year five is a face lift year and the options disappear again, sixth year add a few back seventh year again as good as it will get cause the complete body change is underway.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't want to state my opinion on the smart car owners at this or the other side of the pond, except that so far I've seen more Smarts here and in Canada, just some starting to appear at the US

But I agree on the likely reason for switching TPMS reading off, there were quite a few issues with first TPMS units on W211 cars. The problems should have gone with the new Siemens system, aren't W221 cars showing the tyre pressure also in the US? Looks like MB switched them off when the system became stable.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I don't want to state my opinion on the smart car owners at this or the other side of the pond, except that so far I've seen more Smarts here and in Canada, just some starting to appear at the US

But I agree on the likely reason for switching TPMS reading off, there were quite a few issues with first TPMS units on W211 cars. The problems should have gone with the new Siemens system, aren't W221 cars showing the tyre pressure also in the US? Looks like MB switched them off when the system became stable.
I think this was discussed in another thread, but I wonder if this particular issue has something to do with the litigious environment here in the U.S. for tort cases. And hence why cars in the Canadian market gives pressure readings - assuming MB would not build cars for North America with different technology, I can only guess MB USA chose to 'turn off' this feature.

The Firestone/Bridgestone debacle would have certainly sent a chill down the backs of legal departments in auto manufacturers should the sensor provide false readings.

I really liked having the readings available in my previous '04 Audi A8L - it allowed me to anticipate potential problems, as it did when I found a slow leak in one of my tires; and it provided a reading in the trunk mounted full size spare too...pretty cool. With the current system on the W211, the warning could come when it's too late to save a tire.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Barry is 100% right the more options the greater operator error causes come backs and that counts in the reliability ratings.

It is a cycle, routine, Models run 7 years at MB. First year few options second year a few more, third a few more options and color and trim options, fourth year all the stops come out this is as good as it gets cause year five is a face lift year and the options disappear again, sixth year add a few back seventh year again as good as it will get cause the complete body change is underway.
This is in another thread. However I find it quite amusing that the reliability issues must only occur in the US, as the options are available everywhere else - including just a few miles north of us

Not buying it. And my turn down mirrors have always worked perfectly in my W208. I'll never know in my W211. Maybe if I drive to Niagara Falls they'll magically start enabling themselves....

BTW, exactly what options were added back to the '08 W211 that were not in the facelifted '07? I don't remember there being any.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 PM

2000 ML320;2004 CLK 500; I took European Delivery of a 2008 E320 and waiting for it to get here.
Thanks for the responses

I appreciate the feedback. I looked in the manual and saw the tire pressures and did not read closely enough to see the Canada only wording. Thanks again.

dnhill
Old 03-10-2008, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wmhjr
This is in another thread. However I find it quite amusing that the reliability issues must only occur in the US, as the options are available everywhere else - including just a few miles north of us
Of course the issues are not only on US cars. The point is pretty simple, the warranty period is much shorter everywhere else (mostly) and elsewhere owners pay them self for "minor issues" when the warranty expires. Obviously the ideal consumer protection isn't always for good (I believe it mostly is in the US).
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
I cannot explain why you don't have a visual display for tyre pressure monitoring, I find it a reassuring option and like it.

I love these types of threads and quite clearly Barry has his opinion and I have mine. In Europe the SBC system was loved, we had a more complex system compared to the US market with both SBC Stop and SBC Hold. There was very, very rarely any complaints, the loudest criticism coming from non owners or of course across the 'pond'. This system has now been replaced and hopefully it's replacement is better, but it is DEFINITELY cheaper to produce. If it were a flawed system then there is no way it would be used on the premier flagship vehicles still being produced by Mercedes-Benz.

Another strange idiosyncrasy is the centre console. I find the US version horrible and strange how it is only fitted to vehicles for that one country.

Can you now buy the 320CDI estate?

John
form a very windy Torquay
Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
The US Center Console is all about the Cup Holders. Apparently the original cup holders were rejected by Americans as being too mechanical & not enough "cup holder". I wish there was a way to have the original console, but with real cup holders, but apparently there wasn't, so we got this one.

The real TPMS I had in my '04 was a welcome feature, but often times would fail and just display ---- instead of tire pressure, and would require a service visit & part replacement.... at least 3 times in 3 years. Not a good reccomendation of a Luxury car. Maybe Americans are less patient or less forgiving of flaws, or maybe we simply have more choices of Luxury Cars, but theres no denying the 211 had horrible quality ratings, and almost cost MB too much in Reputation.

We know they are capable of better than what MB delivered in the 03>06 211's here, but short term, whatever couldn't be made 100% dependable within their "Fix this car" time frame was turned off for dependability reasons. They'll all be back on the next model E Class... only they'll work.

As for SBC, Its a great concept, and when its working properly, its great. But when it fails, (and records indicate that they fail more often than desireable) there are virtually no brakes in the car... not a good thing. The hill holding feature is a non issue here. All the 211 transmissions are automatics here, and the cars simply don't roll back in the time between lifting your foot from the brake pedal and stepping on the gas.

Again, having owned both a 2004 and a 2007, the 2 cars are not even remotely the same as far as quality, and the visits to the shop on the 07 are non existant except for routine maintenance.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-10-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Of course the issues are not only on US cars. The point is pretty simple, the warranty period is much shorter everywhere else (mostly) and elsewhere owners pay them self for "minor issues" when the warranty expires. Obviously the ideal consumer protection isn't always for good (I believe it mostly is in the US).
Where do people come up with this? You do realize that this is completely incorrect, right? The warranty in Canada (where these features exist) is essentially EXACTLY the same as in the US. I say "essentially" because it's 80k km rather than 50k miles - so it's a whopping 400 miles less.

Next?

PS: I'm still waiting to hear exactly what features were added back into the '08 that were in the '07. Since I'm picking up my '08 on Friday I can have fun trying to find them.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As for SBC, Its a great concept, and when its working properly, its great. But when it fails, (and records indicate that they fail more often than desireable) there are virtually no brakes in the car... not a good thing. The hill holding feature is a non issue here. All the 211 transmissions are automatics here, and the cars simply don't roll back in the time between lifting your foot from the brake pedal and stepping on the gas.
I thought the Euro SBC Hold was only available for auto tranny cars. The point isn't only hill-hold but traffic lights and similar too.

By the way, how is it with the current W221 in the US, the Euro cars have the hold feature even if it is differently implemented as the car does not have SBC brakes?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
2007 Canadian cars had a TPMS system turned on while the US cars did not. I believe 08 US cars have the TPMS turned back on.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM

According to the '08 owners manual, US cars only get a warning if a tire loses pressure (dummy indicator). Canadian cars actually have tire pressure shown in psi.