E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E500 1 malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 2009 E550
2003 E500 1 malfunction

2003 E500 Tele Aid upgraded from analog to digital last year.
Receive 1 malfunction message "display malfunction visit repair shops." The dealer has not been able to find the source or repair the malfunction. This has been going on for the last couple of years. The message just reappeared after a long period of time. Sometimes when I take the key out a message will display 1 malfunction but the memory is erased when I turn the keep on again. If the sunroof is open the message does not display. While driving this evening I was checking the display and there was 1 malfunction scrolled to "display malfunction visit repair shops." I periodically check the display screen this is the first time in a long time the message has appeared again. I do not have a phone.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 AM

E320 2003
wow i never posted anything on forums before, i feel like im makin a difference.
Back to the question. That used to happen to my 2003 E all the time. Recently it hasn't been showing up (no idea why) but it used to just pops just form time to time. I don't think you should bother about fixing it cause it never really casues any problem with the car except when u turn off the car it makes that beep sound
Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I had the same warning and by magic it went away.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
One Malfunction 2003 E Class

Originally Posted by Fabboi
wow i never posted anything on forums before, i feel like im makin a difference.
Back to the question. That used to happen to my 2003 E all the time. Recently it hasn't been showing up (no idea why) but it used to just pops just form time to time. I don't think you should bother about fixing it cause it never really casues any problem with the car except when u turn off the car it makes that beep sound
. That is exactly what happen the beep sound. If my sunroof is open I will get the same beep sound letting me know the sunroof is open. If the sunroof is closed there is a beep sound and the one malfunction but the display is lost because the power is off. Do you get the message to visit the workshop for the display error?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
Do you receive the same message "display malfunction visit repair shops?" I was driving last night on the freeway and I heard a couple very low poping sounds. I checked the display for malfunction and I got the display message. This is the first time in about a year that I have been able to get the hold message. Sometimes when I turn the car off the one malfunction beeps in. I have not been able to get a message. This happens once or twice a week.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
Hmmmm ocassionaly I get 1 Malfunction message whenever I put the key in, But as soon as I turn the key, message disappear. I dont even have a chance to scroll up to see what the message is.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,449 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by E2233
2003 E500 Tele Aid upgraded from analog to digital last year.
Receive 1 malfunction message "display malfunction visit repair shops." The dealer has not been able to find the source or repair the malfunction. This has been going on for the last couple of years. The message just reappeared after a long period of time. Sometimes when I take the key out a message will display 1 malfunction but the memory is erased when I turn the keep on again. If the sunroof is open the message does not display. While driving this evening I was checking the display and there was 1 malfunction scrolled to "display malfunction visit repair shops." I periodically check the display screen this is the first time in a long time the message has appeared again. I do not have a phone.
In your particular case, it may be that the instrument cluster software is not compatible in having upgraded to digital. The installation bulletin notes version coding the Electronic Ignition System (EIS) and Central Gateway (ZGW), and the Instrument Cluster (IC) must be HW 40/02, SW32/02 (part A2115408411) or newer. If in fact this is the problem, I would suggest you request a no cost IC replacement due to dealer error. If you want a copy of the bulletin to support your request PM your email address. Include your VIN and I will forward a MB datacard with production date, option and paint codes, etc.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM

E320 2003
Its been awhile but I believe my error message was "SOS teliaid not working." Yeah maybe it will magicly dissapear one day for you. Hey it only took me 5 years until my message went away
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
1 Malfunction E500

Originally Posted by konigstiger
In your particular case, it may be that the instrument cluster software is not compatible in having upgraded to digital. The installation bulletin notes version coding the Electronic Ignition System (EIS) and Central Gateway (ZGW), and the Instrument Cluster (IC) must be HW 40/02, SW32/02 (part A2115408411) or newer. If in fact this is the problem, I would suggest you request a no cost IC replacement due to dealer error. If you want a copy of the bulletin to support your request PM your email address. Include your VIN and I will forward a MB datacard with production date, option and paint codes, etc.
It is okay today. I checked it several times today very short trips today may be about 50 miles total today. Yesterday about 80 miles longer trips it appeared on my search. I bought the car new July 2003 and the display was checked several times before I upgraded the Tele Aid. This is the first time that I have seen the complete error while driving on my checking. Once and a in a while when shuting down the 1 malfunction appear but when I start up again there are no malfunctions. I will try the request for the new IC if the malfunction become constant. The messages were there before the digital upgrade. The only problem during the upgrade was the factory gave the dealer the wrong instructions on the upgrade. They kept asking me for my cell phone to correct the problem with the Tele Aid. I set up a conference call with Tele Aid and the dealer and they found the error in the instructions to the dealer. I will keep checking if the message become constant I will contact the dealer again. If I have any problems I will pm you. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E500
I had that same problem. Here's the fix..

1. Place a piece of scotch tape over the second 'e' (in Mercedes) on the intake cover (the on top of the engine).

2. Place $0.11 in the rear, passenger-side ashtray (in the door).
Note: The $0.11 must be two nickels and a penny, no dimes!!!!!

3. Snap your fingers twice before starting the car.......

This corrects the code.......