E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear brake rotor questions..............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brake rotor questions..............

I just reread Iceman's old thread concerning the brake job. I did a search and couldn't find anything concerning changing the rear rotor, so I thought that I'd post here.

When changing rear brakes, what do I have to do to get my rear rotors off and how do I loosen the parking brake, so that the rotor will come off?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Buy the W211 Service DVD for answers to your questions.

I've already done ours once and wouldn't try it again without referencing the procedures once more.

Buy at dealer or at 800.for.merc

Pull the handle on your dash to "loosen" the parking brake.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Buy the W211 Service DVD for answers to your questions.

I've already done ours once and wouldn't try it again without referencing the procedures once more.

Buy at dealer or at 800.for.merc

Pull the handle on your dash to "loosen" the parking brake.
Thanks for the reply!

I've already done the front brakes before and know how to shut off the SBC controller/pump. I just wanted to know if there was any special procedure to release or loosen the parking brake. I never set the parking brake anyway, so it should be loose already. I didn't know that it was so simple! Thank You!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by BoughtaBenz
Thanks for the reply!

I've already done the front brakes before and know how to shut off the SBC controller/pump. I just wanted to know if there was any special procedure to release or loosen the parking brake. I never set the parking brake anyway, so it should be loose already. I didn't know that it was so simple! Thank You!
Once the parking brake has been released, you will need to have the rear end up on jacks, transmission in neutral and adjust the parking adjusting star. With wheel off, move the rotor so on of the bolt holes will be at the approx 2 o'clock position. You will then need to insert a medium flat blade screwdriver in the hole to adjust the star wheel (brake adjuster). Once the parking brake shoes are backed off, you will be able to pull the rotor off very easily.

Regards,
paul...
Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by paulv
Once the parking brake has been released, you will need to have the rear end up on jacks, transmission in neutral and adjust the parking adjusting star. With wheel off, move the rotor so on of the bolt holes will be at the approx 2 o'clock position. You will then need to insert a medium flat blade screwdriver in the hole to adjust the star wheel (brake adjuster). Once the parking brake shoes are backed off, you will be able to pull the rotor off very easily.

Regards,
paul...
Thank You Sir! That's exactly what I needed to know!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 PM

Alright, I loosened the parking brake adjuster star and tried to pull the rotor off and it's stuck and not moving. I sprayed the flange with some penetrating oil and let it sit for about 15 minutes to work and nothing. Is there something that I'm missing?

I even tried a piece of wood and a hammer......................maybe I'm not using a big enough hammer!

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 PM

I'm having the same problem. I Did the star screw adjuters until you can't see the thread. And used wd-40 and still stuck on really tight. I have been pounding on it with a 2.5 pound hammer and 4x4 wood used on top of the rotor.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ee500
I'm having the same problem. I Did the star screw adjuters until you can't see the thread. And used wd-40 and still stuck on really tight. I have been pounding on it with a 2.5 pound hammer and 4x4 wood used on top of the rotor.
Any luck?

I ended up calling a local Certified Porsche/Audi mechanic that works out of a shop at his home (races Porsches) and he said that if I brought it to him, that he'd change the rotors for $100. I think just for the headaches that the rotors are, that's money well spent!

I just have to show him how to disable the SBC pump.

Thanks to this site, I can do that.

One little question though, does the emergency brake have to be set and then released manually by using the star adjusters or can I just skip setting the e brake part? I tried it before by not setting the brake and the car alarm went off while jacking it up.

Thanks in advance!