E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Am I being taken for a fool?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I being taken for a fool?

I've been a long term member over at Audizine, and was just referred to MBworld for the wealth knowledge available here. I have a 2006 E350, and I just brought it back from the dealership today after taking it in for the second time regarding a brake issue. The first time I took it in was September 2007 with less than 5k miles on it when I noticed at low speeds <7 mph when applying the brakes slowly, I would hear a squeeking from within the cabin. Not like a brake squeel from the pads, but almost as if it was coming from the actual brake pedal or the brake cylinder. I dropped the car off two days ago with the same problem--car now has 6k miles on it. I went into the dealership after the service advisor spit some bs to me on the phone, and after explaining to him that it was not the brake pads, he told me to come in and take a test drive with the head mechanic at the shop. I went today and took a 15 min drive with the mechanic (surprisingly, the noise was not there today), and he went on a long tangent about how the braking systems for the W211- 05 + E class series is set up. How it does not have a master cylinder, etc. Long story short, he told me it verbatim, "This is a characteristic of this car, we're sorry, there is nothing we can do it get rid of it." I'm sitting here thinking, I can't believe I paid over $50k for a car that sounds like a dying duck, all the while disbelieving everything he was telling me. So here I am asking for your opinions. Do any of you have the same problem? Is this something that I just have to live with? Thanks so much.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
Originally Posted by jmass03
I've been a long term member over at Audizine, and was just referred to MBworld for the wealth knowledge available here. I have a 2006 E350, and I just brought it back from the dealership today after taking it in for the second time regarding a brake issue. The first time I took it in was September 2007 with less than 5k miles on it when I noticed at low speeds <7 mph when applying the brakes slowly, I would hear a squeeking from within the cabin. Not like a brake squeel from the pads, but almost as if it was coming from the actual brake pedal or the brake cylinder. I dropped the car off two days ago with the same problem--car now has 6k miles on it. I went into the dealership after the service advisor spit some bs to me on the phone, and after explaining to him that it was not the brake pads, he told me to come in and take a test drive with the head mechanic at the shop. I went today and took a 15 min drive with the mechanic (surprisingly, the noise was not there today), and he went on a long tangent about how the braking systems for the W211- 05 + E class series is set up. How it does not have a master cylinder, etc. Long story short, he told me it verbatim, "This is a characteristic of this car, we're sorry, there is nothing we can do it get rid of it." I'm sitting here thinking, I can't believe I paid over $50k for a car that sounds like a dying duck, all the while disbelieving everything he was telling me. So here I am asking for your opinions. Do any of you have the same problem? Is this something that I just have to live with? Thanks so much.
I had the same sound happen once in a while in my E500, and yes it is coming from the brake paddle area and not the brake discs. That squeeling sound would come on randomly especially when it is cold then goes away and doesn't come back for a long time. I haven't take it in to the dealer for the exact reason you described...I would have to be very lucky for the car to make that sound during a test drive by the techs and with the randomness of it coming and going, forget it.

But so far I don't think it has any safety issues, my brakes has been working perfectly so it is just an annoying sound.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:24 AM

Right, I have not noticed the brakes malfunctioning at all. They've been great. It just makes me think twice about Mercedes in general when you pay a premium price for a car and it makes silly sounds.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Right, I have not noticed the brakes malfunctioning at all. They've been great. It just makes me think twice about Mercedes in general when you pay a premium price for a car and it makes silly sounds.
Correct. You should take this in consideration!. I have had more warranty visits on our E500 than my Corvette. Ball joints, ignition key, door locks, SBC failure, dealer broke windshield, installed incorrect tires.

My corvette has had only 1 small oil leak fixed on the first visit. Both cars have the same miles and I can assure you the little granny that drives the E500 doesn't come close to the driving of the Papa driving the Corvette.

So I will definitely consider the number of failures on the MB prior to my next purchase.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
I noticed at low speeds <7 mph when applying the brakes slowly, I would hear a squeeking from within the cabin. Not like a brake squeel from the pads, but almost as if it was coming from the actual brake pedal or the brake cylinder. I went today and took a 15 min drive with the mechanic (surprisingly, the noise was not there today)
I understand you are hearing a squeaking noise when applying the brake and not squealing which is normally associated with a pad/rotor condition.

Request to speak with the shop foreman and mention DTB P-B-42.46/43a NOV07. Although the 211.056 (e350) is not listed what you are experiencing is a SBC matter and as such your vehicle qualifies for this DTB repair process. The noise is coming from the hydraulic unit. It may be necessary to depress the brake pedal a short distance with minimal force at least 20 times with engine off to duplicate. The dealer needs to perform the SDS air release routine – takes about 10-15 minutes to complete.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by PartyVan
I had the same sound happen once in a while in my E500
Read the previous post. You may qualify for a no cost repair if out of warranty under the MBUSA 10 year/unlimited mileage extended warranty for the SBC hydraulic unit.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
You will

learn not to ask this question about dealings with the dealer
Of course you are.
per above
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...-problems.html
there are so many failure issues,noise issues,loud pump issues,reset the brake application issues that Mercedes canned the SBC program.
Go to another dealer if need be.Write a letter to mbusa in N.J.
a good tech will duplicate the issue and locate it,without making you feel foolish for bringing up the issue.
ohlord
Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 AM

Like I said, the car only has 6k miles on it. Seems like an odd issue--guess I'll have to find another dealer in the area.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Like I said, the car only has 6k miles on it. Seems like an odd issue--guess I'll have to find another dealer in the area.
Find another dealer. And then I recommend you notify your previous dealer that you are informing MBUSA of your exp. That you were told this is "normal" operation for a $50K brand new car.