E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Was told my Navi cannot be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Was told my Navi cannot be upgraded?

I have a 2004 E500 with 63k miles, no longer under warranty.

After reading all of the posts, and absorbing as much of the valuable information provided by other members, I decided to upgrade my Navi disc from 2004 to Jan 2008.

I was at the dealership and was about to order the appropriate Service discs to upgrade both the Navi and Command head unit (the 2008 Nav DVD was not recognized) when the parts person informed me that if I were to not perform the flash upgrade properly, I would render my navi unit useless. Realizing this was a scare tactic, I got cold feet nevertheless, and let the service department do the upgrade at a cost of $120! After 2 hours, I was informed that the flash update "would not take" and that my unit was not "upgradeable". I was offered to have a new DVD unit installed in the trunk at a cost of $795, which I was told they had already "pre-tested" and it did indeed recognize the new, 2008 Maps DVD. I did not accept the fact that the navi dvd unit could not be properly flashed, and did not follow through with the suggested replacement of the dvd player. I WAS charged $115 for the time however. I put the 2004 Map DVD back into the player and it was immediatly recognized once again. Atleast they didn't screw it up to the point that that map disc no longer worked.

Has anyone else been told that their navi system was not upgradeable and what is your opinion of this event? I still refuse to believe that MB would create a system with such a limited life span.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
They charged you that much for nothing? Even if the system could not be updated, they should have known this and said that immediately, not after playing with your car.

A SW update can always go wrong but if you have the correct service CD and do it right, it should be fine (also assuming that you have not played with AMG start-up logos etc, experts say that the system may fail at SW update in this case).

Have it updated at another dealer and ask the money back from the one charged you for nothing.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 AM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
They charged you that much for nothing? Even if the system could not be updated, they should have known this and said that immediately, not after playing with your car.

I agree, but still find it hard to believe that the system can not be updated. An expensive option like navi with a limited "shelf life"? Doesn't make sense to me.

A SW update can always go wrong but if you have the correct service CD and do it right, it should be fine (also assuming that you have not played with AMG start-up logos etc, experts say that the system may fail at SW update in this case).

That is why I relied on the "expertise" of the dealership. I figured if it went wrong, it would be on their shoulders to repair or replace, and not mine. I have not tried manipulating the system software nor even accessed any of the secret menus so often mentioned.

Have it updated at another dealer and ask the money back from the one charged you for nothing.
My thoughts exactly!!! Thank you for your input!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:59 AM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by light-zone
After 2 hours, I was informed that the flash update "would not take" and that my unit was not "upgradeable".

I purchased the service DVD and updated (flashed) my NAV system while my car sat in my garage. No special tools or experience necessary. It took less than 10 minutes. There is no reason why a certified Mercedes technician should have spent 2 hours working on your car. Either the techs in the service department that you visited are competely incompetent, or they noticed that you weren't sure about the upgrade process are saw an opportunity to make some easy money.

Either way, if I were you I would express my concerns to the service manager and request a refund.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
CD-Rom to DVD?

I believe that the 2004 Navis are the last of the CD-Rom based systems. 2005+ are DVD based, so perhaps this is the root issue? My $ 0.02.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:23 PM

2004 E500
SoCAL, the 2004 is DVD based. I have the 2004 DVD disc in the trunk and it works fine. Unfortunatly in the greater Phoenix area, there has been substantial expansion since '04, and many areas are not included on the maps.

jkv11503: Funny. I work at a dealership, (not MB) and thought I could communicate with a service writer. I think you are right. I will try the updates myself, if only to proive them wrong.

Had they said to me, we can't get it to work, and left it at that, I would have been more understanding. But to tell me that it cannot be done....it just rings untrue, and to add insult to injury, to charge me! But shame on me for paying.
I think a meeting with the Service Manager is in order.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by light-zone
But to tell me that it cannot be done....it just rings untrue, and to add insult to injury, to charge me! But shame on me for paying. I think a meeting with the Service Manager is in order.
DTB P-B-82.85/524a AUG07 Addresses 211 MY04 and later, navigation DVD is not recognized by navigation processor (drive) when updating to latest version. Dealer will update software.

Warranty covers software repair. For those no longer under warranty you can purchase MBUSA special tool #W211589152200 (dealer net $12). For a copy of the DTB inclusive of installation instructions PM, your email address.

Search feature still works last I checked
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/226045-navigation-service-update-dvd.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....5&postcount=16

In your case, speak with the service manager; present a copy of the DTB; request a no cost software update; and lastly demand a refund on principle. Please PM the SA/dealer info along with your DTB copy request.

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 PM

2004 E500
Thnaks Dan. PM sent.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I too bought the 2008 DVD... I also had had my NAV updated about 6 months ago.... all without avail.... the software update will not fix the issue...

they replaced my NAV under warranty.
maybe you could find a DVD player out of a wrecked E for $100???
Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by cyclrder
I too bought the 2008 DVD... I also had had my NAV updated about 6 months ago.... all without avail.... the software update will not fix the issue...

Thanks for the info. I've all but given up on any remedy other than the replacement of the processor. Misery does love company though, so again, thanks. Hey, atleast you had a warranty to fall back on....
Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by cyclrder

I'm sorry but I could not figure out what you actually mean with this post and how it is related to the issue of updating the Navi processor or the Comand with a service CD.

I interpret you had the Navigation processor updated 6 months ago, not the Comand? Then you bought a 2008 DVD. What did you expect the new MAP DVD fix that didn't get fixed?