E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

speedtronic inoperable...towed to dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Question speedtronic inoperable...towed to dealer

I've done a quick search and still not clear. Is "speedtronic" mb's name for cruise control or is it another system. Don't have the manual as that is in the car which is at the dealer.

My wife driving the car today experiences it die as she was exiting the freeway. Stops the car but not able to get out of traffic lane. Restarts the car and it immediately dies again. 2nd restart attempt failed and gets the display message reading "speedtronic inoperable". She calls SOS and they are awesome. They call local police to direct traffic around the car. After calling police they call roadside and get them on the line. They say with that error message must be towed. No other questions. Ordered tow and this whole time the gal stays online with my wife till the police arrive. Police arrive and direct traffic waiting for tow. Flatbed tow to the dealer. Our service advisor writes up the car and sets her up in an 08 C300 and she's on her way. Not that I'm pleased that this happened, as I'm clearly distressed about this, but the rest of it couldn't be much better Mercedes SOS service and dealer (Autobahn in Belmont, CA) are fantastic. A plug for Gus our service advisor, too. He's tops.

So, what is this speedtronic and what should I expect? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by MissMyBenz
I've done a quick search and still not clear. Is "speedtronic" mb's name for cruise control or is it another system. Don't have the manual as that is in the car which is at the dealer.

My wife driving the car today experiences it die as she was exiting the freeway. Stops the car but not able to get out of traffic lane. Restarts the car and it immediately dies again. 2nd restart attempt failed and gets the display message reading "speedtronic inoperable". She calls SOS and they are awesome. They call local police to direct traffic around the car. After calling police they call roadside and get them on the line. They say with that error message must be towed. No other questions. Ordered tow and this whole time the gal stays online with my wife till the police arrive. Police arrive and direct traffic waiting for tow. Flatbed tow to the dealer. Our service advisor writes up the car and sets her up in an 08 C300 and she's on her way. Not that I'm pleased that this happened, as I'm clearly distressed about this, but the rest of it couldn't be much better Mercedes SOS service and dealer (Autobahn in Belmont, CA) are fantastic. A plug for Gus our service advisor, too. He's tops.

So, what is this speedtronic and what should I expect? Thanks.
TeleAid is fantastic. When I had a mishap with my car (https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2900630&highlight=#post29006300) they were outstanding in getting me help. They can also help you out with turn-by-turn directions, booking hotels and restaurants and you can also ask them about traffic. All for a price of course
Old 08-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
speedtronic = cruise control and/or distronic...but that being inoperable might be and probably is related to soemthing else (with that message one can still drive a car at full functionality other then that the CC doesn't work)

greetingz,
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Might be the speed sensor for the car.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 PM

Smile

Thanks for the replies. Long story short: As I understand it the fuel sending unit in gas tank giving false reading showing 1/2 tank when in fact it was empty. Yes, the car ran out of gas. I recently had foot surgery so I am not driving and my wife has been shuttling me back and forth and switching cars so hard to keep track of when it would need gas. Ironically we both commented at the (cheap?...$4.30/gal) price of gas at a Chevron station but looked at the gauge and didn't stop thinking we had 1/2 a tank. Anyway, she picked up the car and all seems well. I haven't looked at the paperwork yet to find out exactly what they did.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Might be the speed sensor for the car.
But there is no specific speed sensor in the car, speed is measured from the wheels, ABS sensors an a failure there should give higher priority malfunction messages than just speedtronic.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
So todays lesson:

Cruise control will not work unless your car has gas......
Old 08-31-2008, 07:56 PM

Dealer replaced fuel tank. Sensor "stuck." All good now and drives like new.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
TeleAid is fantastic. When I had a mishap with my car (https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2900630&highlight=#post29006300) they were outstanding in getting me help. They can also help you out with turn-by-turn directions, booking hotels and restaurants and you can also ask them about traffic. All for a price of course
Of course there is another opinion of Telaid. We were involved in a accident when evacuating for Katrina when we lost our home. I called the Telaid and it took 20 minutes to answer and they promptly told me I was in chicago, NOT.. Baton Rouge La. Then they hung up without out helping. 10 minutes later the Tel Aid answered the told me it was the first call and I never called before, eventhough we had been stopped in evacuation traffic for 30 minutes. After a few minutes of smart mouth and telling me "well your air bag didn't go off" we were rearended to the tune of over $5000 they finally called police.

2 weeks later MB sent me a note saying Katrina area would get priority help. However on the day after the storm when I needed help I was smartmouthed and delayed help when involved in a collision. So I won't ever pay Telaid again for service. I can dial 911 on the cell if I still have 1 breath left.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Of course there is another opinion of Telaid. We were involved in a accident when evacuating for Katrina when we lost our home. I called the Telaid and it took 20 minutes to answer and they promptly told me I was in chicago, NOT.. Baton Rouge La. Then they hung up without out helping. 10 minutes later the Tel Aid answered the told me it was the first call and I never called before, eventhough we had been stopped in evacuation traffic for 30 minutes. After a few minutes of smart mouth and telling me "well your air bag didn't go off" we were rearended to the tune of over $5000 they finally called police.

2 weeks later MB sent me a note saying Katrina area would get priority help. However on the day after the storm when I needed help I was smartmouthed and delayed help when involved in a collision. So I won't ever pay Telaid again for service. I can dial 911 on the cell if I still have 1 breath left.
Wow ! That is exactly the opposite of how my story went. Glad that you made it out OK though. It would be interesting to hear other people's Teleaid stories as well.