E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-12-2015, 07:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Squeeks and rattles galore inside my car, driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 06:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Squeeks and rattles galore inside my car, driving me crazy

It seems all of a sudden my cars interior is a symphony of squeeks, groans and the occasion rattle-ish sound. Mainly on my Drivers door, every time I go over any slightly rough road some area seemingly toward the bottom back (where the window corner meets the B-Pillar) rattles like crazy. It almost sounds like the door itself is rattling.

It's driving me nuts. I love this car so much and am so thrilled to own it, but it seems I keep getting issue after issue with it, some aren't even the cars fault but just good ol' fashioned bad luck (that fortunately have ended up working out okay), but it's making me insane, and I've only had it a few months. And now this issue is indeed the cars fault, which means I get to go to the Dealer again to try and convince them of this problem.

If they can't fix this there's no way I could continue owning the car, the sounds drive me mad. Anyone else experience this with their 211's? Mine was perfectly silent just a week ago?

Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Try a little lube or Talcum Powder on the weatherstripping.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 AMG, 04 E5004Matic,02 911Turbo (Fluidmotorunion tuned),06 Cayenne S
wow, that's interesting...

look at my post on a lexus forum....hope i don't get the same problem with a MB! sounds like you just have something loose inside the door and it's fixable. lexus i had on the other hand...read on...

bought an 06 GS300 AWD about 4 months ago expecting a very quiet, well-built, reliable car...well, reliable it has been but it's been a very squeaky, rattly ride til i just couldn't take the little eeks and the cheap plastic sounds the car made at every little bump and everywhere i touched inside the car, like the middle storage area, the plastic on the doors, etc. The car felt SOOOOO flimsy. I even had the dealer wrap felt around every part of the front dash and it only made the noise lower in volume. I can't believe that a 3 year old Lexus that cost over $50k new should behave like this.

So after 4 months of this crap, i finally got rid of it. Went to a dealer and traded for a 04 E500 4Matic with similar miles for an even trade. The MB is totally solid. No squeaks or rattles, just that solid feel.

I don't think I'll ever go back to Japanese. Sure MB might be less reliable but I'll trade the daily serenity for a bit less reliability ANY DAY. The noises were driving me nuts and the passengers usually told me that i should take the car to the dealer for the noises.

Getting rid of a car because of these noises...is anyone else thinking the same???
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM

someone's reply to my post

yep, i'm almost in the exact same position. I bought the same car about 5 months ago, used, with 20k miles. Has ML/Nav/Vented-heated seats/rear sunshade/moonroof/ etc etc. Everything except radar cruise and parking sensors. I paid $35,500 back in may. seems like everyone here claims they have been getting the same car for under $30k.

anyway, i have the same irritating squeeks, rattles, and odd interior noises. Took it to one dealer, who did the right A-pillar fix, and that did silence a persistent rattle. But over the past few months, i'm getting and endless creak on the left side, the console rattle, and just like you describe every little bump sets off a cacophony of minor but noticeable noises. It's just so frustrating.

took it back to a different dealer, and they of course said "Nothing we can do. technician didn't notice anything unusual. The first dealer did the whole dash kit fix already."

A $50,000 2 year old Lexus with under 25k on the clock should not sound like this. It doesn't feel or look cheap, but it sounds cheap. I've driven rental Kias that rattles less.

cant sell it now, not in this economy.

i feel completely hosed, and *BLEEP*ed off. I hate Lexus, I hate driving it because my expectations were so high.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM

another one

GS996TTCayS, I am in the same boat as you. My 08 GS350 AWD squeaks and rattles, every panel I tounch has a noise associated with it. It was driving me crazy. I just traded it in for a 08 Audi A6, solid as a rock, of course it too early to tell, but I have never driven a $50k+ car that has as many rattles as the GS. The last generation of GS has almost no rattle problems, I think Lexus quality is going backwards.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Yeah, drives me nuts. If you have the DD seats (big boobie seats, lol ) it's really bad. And the pano roofs makes noise like crazy. I have both. Don't usually notice since I have the music up or windows and sunroof open, but when I have the music off or low and have windows and sunroof closed when someone else is in the car, I can hear the symphony playing. Drives me nuts. Never had problems like this on my 94 S. Our 02 CL is amazingly quiet too. Well I guess that's why it cost's twice as much. I can't believe it. This makes me take back my arguement that I'd by an AMG version of a lower model benz (E63) v. a regular model of an upper class Benz (CL550). Yeah, definitely go with the higher model, even if it is the base 550 vs. a lower model 63.

Took it to service and complained about the seats. Service guy that I knew well said it's just a bad design, can't be fixed. Something to do with the air blades for the lumbar.

Last edited by gaazmon; 11-06-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:46 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for the responses and experiences.

Yeah, I'm hoping the door is fixable, as it's an insanely annoying sound. The rest are there, but I'm gonna assume those creaks are just part of the design as they happen around the car. The door thing is so obnoxious that if they can't fix it, I don't know what to do.

Yeah, my W220 was soooo silent, even with 150K Miles. I mean the thing is, the E is supposed to be a pretty high-end Sedan right! It shouldn't be squeeking. I always thought my W211 felt more solid than the W220, felt like the parts and whole design seemed tighter and even a bit more refined (maybe cause I had 150K miles on it though), but as far as sound insulation and interior sounds, M-B REALLY go to great lengths on their bigger cars.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Yeah, they put the most effort on the S and CL, even more than the SL.

CL>S>SL>CLS>E>CLK/SLK>C (not counting SUVs in this)
Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
This may help
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/107104-diy-rattles-fixed-secrets-reveled.html
Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for the Link Konigstiger.

I think I've pinpointed where the super annoying Door rattle is, after dangerously driving with my head pinned to the door in my quest to figure out what's driving me bonkers.

I think it's coming right from the bottom of the trim piece that meets the B-Piller (the thin plastic frame piece to the far left of the door if you're looking at it from inside). It seems like something is in there vibrating as I can't put my finger on anything physically to try and stop it from the outside.

It's driving me INSANE!!!! When driving I can't concentrate on anything other then when the vibration/s will start. Sucks especially after a night of loud *** work when all I'd like is a peaceful drive home. I could have bought a Fox Body Mustang and probably endured less rattles!! Hah.

Seriously, if they can't fix this, I dunno what to do, either sell the car or drive it off a cliff.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by K-A
Thanks for the Link Konigstiger.

I think I've pinpointed where the super annoying Door rattle is, after dangerously driving with my head pinned to the door in my quest to figure out what's driving me bonkers.

I think it's coming right from the bottom of the trim piece that meets the B-Piller (the thin plastic frame piece to the far left of the door if you're looking at it from inside). It seems like something is in there vibrating as I can't put my finger on anything physically to try and stop it from the outside.

It's driving me INSANE!!!! When driving I can't concentrate on anything other then when the vibration/s will start. Sucks especially after a night of loud *** work when all I'd like is a peaceful drive home. I could have bought a Fox Body Mustang and probably endured less rattles!! Hah.

Seriously, if they can't fix this, I dunno what to do, either sell the car or drive it off a cliff.
I'm sure it can be fixed. You will just need to spend a little time looking into it.

I haven't noticed any rattles at all in my W211 except under the hood (diesel).

DTB P-B-91.25/120a OCT 08 mentions Dynamic Seat noise.

"If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles regarding a noise from the area around the pneumatic seat cushion bladder, this may be due to friction between the cover around the bladder and the seat support and seat upholstery with which it is in direct contact. A new cover for the pneumatic bladder is now in production together with a new part number."
Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

So it ended up being "Door Lock chatter". The door locks were chattering and buckling/clunking loudly, which is why it was so exceptionally annoying, as it was right near my ears.

Both doors had the problem also, they were horridly loud.

Apparently they just had to lube the locks and voila, the car is about perfectly silent now! I was driving it tonight enjoying how nicely quiet it can be when I want it to

Does that sound normal though? Should I worry there's an issue with my door locks?