E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-09-2015, 04:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Red battery message ( Visit workshop)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Going Through What

Originally Posted by Banu22elos
I am sure somebody has gone through this ordeal.

Don't know what you are trying to do but it ain't working!

DHG
Old 06-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
VISIT WORKSHOP – battery warning message - 2005 E320
I checked the Aux Battery and it read 8.5 volts so time for another replacement. I shopped the internet to find a fully sealed and fully charged battery with at least a 1 year warranty. I located a YTX14-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery at batterymart.com for $55.95 with free shipping. Just to be sure the battery was an exact 14-BS fit I called the company to verify. The support person I spoke to was surprised to find out that I needed the battery for a Mercedes but after discussion we decided it was a fit.
The company is located in VA and their support person told me that it would ship that afternoon via FedEx and I should have it in NJ the next day or 2 at most. I received the battery the next day to my surprise.
Th battery is an exact fit dimension-wise. The battery comes with two nuts and bolts. Use the nuts (metric - perfect fit) in the terminal slots (which are different than the OEM posts) to secure the original battery cable bolts following the nice detail instructions in an earlier post. As a side note, I looked at many batteries and could not find any that had the same terminals as the OEM battery.
The battery has been in for a month now and everything is still working fine. I'd recommend checking out Battery Mart if you're shopping around.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by carljschmidt
VISIT WORKSHOP – battery warning message - 2005 E320
I checked the Aux Battery and it read 8.5 volts so time for another replacement. I shopped the internet to find a fully sealed and fully charged battery with at least a 1 year warranty. I located a YTX14-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery at batterymart.com for $55.95 with free shipping. Just to be sure the battery was an exact 14-BS fit I called the company to verify. The support person I spoke to was surprised to find out that I needed the battery for a Mercedes but after discussion we decided it was a fit.
The company is located in VA and their support person told me that it would ship that afternoon via FedEx and I should have it in NJ the next day or 2 at most. I received the battery the next day to my surprise.
Th battery is an exact fit dimension-wise. The battery comes with two nuts and bolts. Use the nuts (metric - perfect fit) in the terminal slots (which are different than the OEM posts) to secure the original battery cable bolts following the nice detail instructions in an earlier post. As a side note, I looked at many batteries and could not find any that had the same terminals as the OEM battery.
The battery has been in for a month now and everything is still working fine. I'd recommend checking out Battery Mart if you're shopping around.

Just make sure it is an AGM battery.. I had some weird issues happening all because of a non-AGM battery being put in my car..
Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 4Matic (W211.087)
Smile YTX14-BS in batterymart.com is an AGM battery.

Originally Posted by HUDS_E500
Just make sure it is an AGM battery.. I had some weird issues happening all because of a non-AGM battery being put in my car..

According to batterymart.com, the YTX14-BS is an AGM battery and a Chinese made one. They said the terminals of this battery are non-threaded not like the Mercedes OEM auxiliary battery (FIAMM):

[Non-threaded terminal of YTX14-BS]

They said that below battery is an American made version and preferred :
http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...4-Battery.html

According to them, the terminals of this American version have threaded inserts cast inside, so the terminal accepts the bolt. They have installed a few of this battery for Mercedes in their retail locations.

[Threaded terminal of ETX14]

Last edited by astrobike; 06-28-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: to add more information
Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
past week had my e500 throw ESP malfunction, low battery convenience functions, ABS, and battery codes on the dash. Checked the rear/aux battery for voltage with car off. 12.2/12.4 for each. When engine is running, FSS shows 10.5v which tells me the rear battery isnt charging. Ended up replacing the alternator and the front aux battery since it was the oem from 2006. Car now showing on FSS 14.0v , which is normal and telling me that the alternator is charging the battery.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 4Matic (W211.087)
Originally Posted by novae500
past week had my e500 throw ESP malfunction, low battery convenience functions, ABS, and battery codes on the dash. Checked the rear/aux battery for voltage with car off. 12.2/12.4 for each. When engine is running, FSS shows 10.5v which tells me the rear battery isnt charging. Ended up replacing the alternator and the front aux battery since it was the oem from 2006. Car now showing on FSS 14.0v , which is normal and telling me that the alternator is charging the battery.

Congrats on solving the issue, novae500!

How much did it cost to replace the alternator?

Last edited by astrobike; 07-01-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 AM

03 E220 Cdi
03 w211 Red Battery Message

Hi if any body can help me plz. i recently bought 03 E220 with 65000 miles.last week i had red battery msg but it disappeared once it do a small journey.comes in twice a week but disappear itself once i switch off the car andrestart the car. Rear batty is new only 6month old what that could be now.

thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by mubs
Hi if any body can help me plz. i recently bought 03 E220 with 65000 miles.last week i had red battery msg but it disappeared once it do a small journey.comes in twice a week but disappear itself once i switch off the car andrestart the car. Rear batty is new only 6month old what that could be now.

thanks
IF you have SBC brakes you have a back up battery pass side under cover that is back up power. If it is bad you will get this type of warning.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Originally Posted by astrobike
Congrats on solving the issue, novae500!

How much did it cost to replace the alternator?
$300. The shop tested the alternator. I believe its just the voltage regulator that is bad( based on a few posts in the W211 AMG forum). Since i was in the middle of moving last week, didnt have time to try and get a new VR and Do It Myself. Will get a new VR and replace it and test the alternator. If that is the cause, will probably end up selling it on here or local.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Sorry if someone already covered this fix, but my old 2003 E320 had this same issue: "Visit Workshop" with a battery icon. But car started just fine and accessories seemed to work ok. Took it to dealer. Turned out, it was an "auxiliary" battery (not the main one) that basically couldn't keep a charge any longer. Replaced the battery, and solved the problem. I think the cost was in the $200 range.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 PM

E 230 cdi, 2005
Red Battery alarm " visit work shop"

I have a E220 , 2005 - 211 chassis . Getting red alarm message " visit workshop " with battery pic. I have changed both batteries, also changed the BCM and the aux battery relay . Checked alternator also, it is fine. Still the alarm doesn't go away. Initially when the car is started it also gives message " some convenience functions temp unavailable" but this message goes away in few mins and air conditioner etc start working fine at full power, but still the red " visit workshop" message doesn't goes away!
Can anybody give done idea what needs to be done ? My local MB dealer is also confused and has still not diagnosed the fault. He made me change both batteries and BCM but still the red warning is there !
Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by bobby777
I have a E220 , 2005 - 211 chassis . Getting red alarm message " visit workshop " with battery pic. I have changed both batteries, also changed the BCM and the aux battery relay . Checked alternator also, it is fine. Still the alarm doesn't go away. Initially when the car is started it also gives message " some convenience functions temp unavailable" but this message goes away in few mins and air conditioner etc start working fine at full power, but still the red " visit workshop" message doesn't goes away!
Can anybody give done idea what needs to be done ? My local MB dealer is also confused and has still not diagnosed the fault. He made me change both batteries and BCM but still the red warning is there !
make sure you have an AGM battery in your trunk and not a regular old fashioned wet cell type.. the dealer messed up and put a non agm in min and cause all kinds of weird issues for me.. consumers switched off, etc..
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 PM

E 230 cdi, 2005
Red battery message

Both batteries I replaced are of correct MB recommended types.still cannot get rid of this alarm
Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 PM

2003 E500
Both batteries I replaced are of correct MB recommended types.still cannot get rid of this alarm
Well I had 2 issues.. One with the battery and the other was my agw not shutting off and killing my battery. I'd double check your batteries though.. There is stupid everywhere..
Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
New batteries don't always mean GOOD new batteries. You have a low voltage condition. IF the battery contron module fails you can have the batteries both go dead overnight. This doesn't mean the BCM on yours is bad but you have a low voltage issue and either a battery isn't charging, not holding charge, or is discharging.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:15 PM

E 230 cdi, 2005
Red battery message

At present I have 4 malfunctions in mfd.
1.battery(visit Wksp ) 2.brakes service 3.SRS 4. Right turn indicator
Brakes : turned out the SBC needs replacement as it has "reached end of service life" . Battery: we are unable to get rid of red warning despite changing both batteries and BCM . Now as per your suggestion I will check both new batteries again
Old 09-28-2013, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
At present I have 4 malfunctions in mfd.
1.battery(visit Wksp ) 2.brakes service 3.SRS 4. Right turn indicator
Brakes : turned out the SBC needs replacement as it has "reached end of service life" . Battery: we are unable to get rid of red warning despite changing both batteries and BCM . Now as per your suggestion I will check both new batteries again
Check them before starting the car after sitting overnight. This way if you have a current drain on the battery at night you will hopefully see this in the test in the morning.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM

E 230 cdi, 2005
I have now replaced the aux battery with a new FIAMM original AGM battery. I charged the battery for one hour before installing and checked that it was giving 12v output before installing. The red alarm WENT AWAY !!.
However after the car was parked for one hour after a short drive it came back. Then after I drove for few mikes it again disappeared. I guess the new aux battery needs charging by car's system.

What do you think, VETTDVR ? Anyone ?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
I have now replaced the aux battery with a new FIAMM original AGM battery. I charged the battery for one hour before installing and checked that it was giving 12v output before installing. The red alarm WENT AWAY !!.
However after the car was parked for one hour after a short drive it came back. Then after I drove for few mikes it again disappeared. I guess the new aux battery needs charging by car's system.

What do you think, VETTDVR ? Anyone ?
The aux battery will charge up in about 12 hrs. I suspect you might be on the solution. IF the problem continues be sure to check the alternator / regulator for charging.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM

E 230 cdi, 2005
VETTDVR,
I checked the voltage at main battery. If the engine is not running it shows 12v.
Once the car is started, it shows 13v. This means the alternator is working fine,
Correct ?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
VETTDVR,
I checked the voltage at main battery. If the engine is not running it shows 12v.
Once the car is started, it shows 13v. This means the alternator is working fine,
Correct ?
Not necessarily. The battery may not be fully charged. Disconnected fully charged battery should be close to 12.8V for new full charge.

I suspect you need more run time to charge. I would just drive it a week or so and see if the light stays off. IF not run a charging system check.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
VETTDVR,
I checked the voltage at main battery. If the engine is not running it shows 12v. Once the car is started, it shows 13v. This means the alternator is working fine, Correct ?
My car shows 14.2v when running no matter how fast I am driving.
Mike T.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 PM

E 230 cdi, 2005
I just found out that the Bosch battery which I installed in the trunk a few days back is a S-5 , which is a non- AGM battery. Maybe this is cause of my troubles ??!!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
I just found out that the Bosch battery which I installed in the trunk a few days back is a S-5 , which is a non- AGM battery. Maybe this is cause of my troubles ??!!
IF it is going bad it can cause the problem you are having. Have it checked.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 PM

2006 E350 4matic wagon
read vettdvr posts first and save time and frustration

Originally Posted by vettdvr
IF you have SBC brakes you have a back up battery pass side under cover that is back up power. If it is bad you will get this type of warning.

I have had the Red warning since a month or so, and believe me, the MB dealership is exactly like HDL cholesterol - will kill you slowly.
I got the courage after reading vettdr's posts' suggestions and advice.
From the posts I was sure I needed the aux battery replaced but kept imagining worst-case scenarios if something went wrong.
I am in Toronto, an excellent location for cold-stress-testing of hearts and batteries. Whilst searching for a suitable (best) aux battery, I parked my 2006 E350 4matic wagon overnight in the open during the ice storm that caused a week-long power outage. When the storm abated, the car would not start. Again, having studied the posts here, I knew it was the main battery, in the trunk, that died. I called CAA (Canadian equivalent of AAA) and the battery was jump started. The guy said he did not have the type I need as it is a "very sturdy and special battery, unlike the Chinese makes used in far lighter Japanese and cheap American cars".
The car started up and I drove 2 hours, then parked it in the apartment's underground.
After 3 days, another no-start. Major wake-up call, so I started researching on main batteries. To my luck, Canadian Tire has a new line of Motomaster Eliminator Ultra AGM on discount, and with a full 5 year replacement warranty and roadside assistance.
I paid $100 as installation fee as it is still too cold and I don't have a garage. It works excellently.
I continued my search for the aux battery and discovered that supply is extremely limited as it is a motorcycle battery and the riders seem in hibernation.
Best I could get was Exide AGM with a 6 month warranty, for $ 69.95 which is no good. So I called the MB dealer and they charge $ 149.65 for the original Fiamm. I bought it precharged and just installed it. It was SUPER EASY to replace and my dash no longer looks like the Warcraft video game screen when you have been shot.
I did not disconnect the main battery, but I was fulyt alert so as to avoid shorting the live terminals. I used small plastics bags to shroud the cable ends.
I'll try and post images. Hope it helps . . .

References to the pics:
Fig. 1 & 2:
After having replaced the main battery, the Red Battery Alert still remained.

Bought the Fiamm 12V / 12AH / 170A aux. battery from MB Thornhill (Green Ln) on Feb. 18, 2014 for $149.65 + $19.45 HST = $169.10
Fig 3:Date of manufacture: week of Sep 29 -- Oct.05, 2013

Fig 4:
Prior to removal of old battery, showing the Cabin air filter

Fig 5:
Cabin Air filter housing exposed. The red spot below ii to the left is the battery +ve plastics cap

Fig 6:
Close-up of the Aux battery in-situ. Note the poor placement of the air filter atop the battery – the filtered dust falls straight onto the battery and its terminals!!. (See later image of the old battery being checked for voltage after removal, and note the dust & corrosion on even the capped +ve terminal.) Goes against the basic principle of keeping battery terminals clean!

Fig 7:
The empty battery tray, note plastics bags taped over the cable ends. Also note dust rejected by the filter, lying around.

Attached Thumbnails Red battery message ( Visit workshop)-fig-1.jpg   Red battery message ( Visit workshop)-fig-2.jpg   Red battery message ( Visit workshop)-fig-3.jpg   Red battery message ( Visit workshop)-fig-4.jpg   Red battery message ( Visit workshop)-fig-5.jpg  

Red battery message ( Visit workshop)-fig-6.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Red battery message ( Visit workshop)