E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-09-2015, 04:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Red battery message ( Visit workshop)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E500 Flint Grey - Charcoal
LOL!!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
[QUOTE=dochou;3413667]
I say, "Can I just change out the battery my self?"
He says no. QUOTE]

I guess what he really meant it is so complicated you should have your wife change it out while you hold the flashlight.

I changed mine out while my wife held the light. Warning though Don't let the + cable touch ground unless you disconnect the main bat. in the trunk.

I had the wife hold it for me (+ cable) while I installed the battery.
The following users liked this post:
llcoolbenz (11-01-2019)
Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
So I looked all over for this batter and could not find it anywhere! The Autozone GTX 14-BX FG AGM battery. The manager at the autozone by my house could not find any listing of this on his computer. I called other autozones and they also had no clue.
I also searched for the sears battery Sears DieHard Gold 14-BS AGM and found it, but it was not 69.00; it was $87 plus tax and core.

One other question. With the sears battery, I had to fill it with acid and then wait 30 min and then put the permanant cap on it. Then it says I have to charge the battery for 2hrs, before using it.
Is this correct???
So with all these AGM batteries you have to fill with acid and charge before use???
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM

2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
if you have to fill with acid, then ITS NOT an AGM battery. AGM batteries are sealed (mant free)
Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by locomercedes
if you have to fill with acid, then ITS NOT an AGM battery. AGM batteries are sealed (mant free)
Interesting. I always thought AGM was Adsorbant Glass Matt that adsorbed the acid so it would not leak.

This is what I found. Borrowed from someone who did the research.

" Major Battery Types
Batteries are divided in two ways, by application (what they are used for) and construction (how they are built). The major applications are automotive, marine, and deep-cycle. Deep-cycle includes solar electric (PV), backup power, and RV and boat "house" batteries. The major construction types are flooded (wet), gelled, and AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). AGM batteries are also sometimes called "starved electrolyte" or "dry", because the fiberglass mat is only 95% saturated with Sulfuric acid and there is no excess liquid.

Flooded may be standard, with removable caps, or the so-called "maintenance free" (that means they are designed to die one week after the warranty runs out). All gelled are sealed and are "valve regulated", which means that a tiny valve keeps a slight positive pressure. Nearly all AGM batteries are sealed valve regulated (commonly referred to as "VRLA" - Valve Regulated Lead-Acid). Most valve regulated are under some pressure - 1 to 4 psi at sea level"

Autozone GTX 14-BX FG AGM battery this should be the exact replacement for $69.99

Walmart everstart Maxx 14-BS AGM
Interstate CYTX 14-BS (at local firestone)
Delco GTX 14-BS
Napa 740-1866?? Not sure if # is correct
Yacht CTX12-BS ETX-12/12BS
Sears CB12C-A
Yuasa YB12AL-A2

Possible just 14-BS will work.

Battery dimensions

WxDxH 6”x3 ¼”+ x 6”

Note + Terminal is on right side when looking at the back side of the battery.

In addition to auxiliary battery replacement:

Have your dealer check VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry - have your VIN handy) to see if there are any outstanding recalls or service campaigns all are covered by MBUSA even out of warranty.

Surely you can find one of these. Even Harley Davison has a battery that will work. But if you can't find one,, the Dealer will have one for about $146.

Last edited by vettdvr; 03-30-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 PM

2005 E500

I just bought a Everstart MAXX ES14BS motorcyle battery from Wal-Mart ($65) yesterday. I had to add the sulfuric acid before charging for 2-4 hours. On the box and in the documentation it states that it is a AGM battery.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:21 PM

E320
Yes it says AGM in big giant letters on the box. If you check the sears.com website http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Gold+14BS+AGM

You can see the acid in the white bottle. Once you fill with acid and let stand, cover the fill holes with the permanant cap then charge, it will be maintainance free for the life of the battery. As vettdvr said: he opened the caps up and could see acid in them.

As someone else wrote: the acid is instilled into the battery and then absorbed by the fiberglass. So my guess is that once I instill acid it will absorb into the fiberglass and activate the battery.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM

E320
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Interesting. I always thought AGM was Adsorbant Glass Matt that adsorbed the acid so it would not leak.

" Major Battery Types
Batteries are divided in two ways, by application (what they are used for) and construction (how they are built). The major applications are automotive, marine, and deep-cycle. Deep-cycle includes solar electric (PV), backup power, and RV and boat "house" batteries. The major construction types are flooded (wet), gelled, and AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). AGM batteries are also sometimes called "starved electrolyte" or "dry", because the fiberglass mat is only 95% saturated with Sulfuric acid and there is no excess liquid.

Flooded may be standard, with removable caps, or the so-called "maintenance free" (that means they are designed to die one week after the warranty runs out). All gelled are sealed and are "valve regulated", which means that a tiny valve keeps a slight positive pressure. Nearly all AGM batteries are sealed valve regulated (commonly referred to as "VRLA" - Valve Regulated Lead-Acid). Most valve regulated are under some pressure - 1 to 4 psi at sea level"

Autozone GTX 14-BX FG AGM battery this should be the exact replacement for $69.99

Delco GTX 14-BS
Sears CB12C-A
Yuasa YB12AL-A2

Battery dimensions

WxDxH 6”x3 ¼”+ x 6”

Have your dealer check VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry - have your VIN handy) to see if there are any outstanding recalls or service campaigns all are covered by MBUSA even out of warranty.

Surely you can find one of these. Even Harley Davison has a battery that will work. But if you can't find one,, the Dealer will have one for about $146.

Yeah I know you got the Autozone GTX 14-BX FG AGM battery, at autozone. And I insisted that you bought it there and the manager says he cannot find it anywhere in his computer system. He called is district manager and that guy said he could not find it either. They suggested I look online and give them a part number other than the above or to just order it online.
I could not find it on the autozone website. Anyone else find it on the website?
It has been very frustrating b/c it sounds so easy, but I keep running into problems.
There are no walmarts in my area.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:29 PM

E320

" Major Battery Types

Delco GTX 14-BS
Sears CB12C-A
Yuasa YB12AL-A2

Battery dimensions

WxDxH 6”x3 ¼”+ x 6”

Well I took the car to the dealer and they ran a diagnostic and told me about the battery the faulty SRS light. So I assume they did this for me.

Yeah I know you got the Autozone GTX 14-BX FG AGM battery, at autozone. And I insisted that you bought it there and the manager says he cannot find it anywhere in his computer system. He called is district manager and that guy said he could not find it either. They suggested I look online and give them a part number other than the above or to just order it online.
I could not find it on the autozone website. Anyone else find it on the website?
It has been very frustrating b/c it sounds so easy, but I keep running into problems.
There are no walmarts in my area.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 PM

E320
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by icpeddler
I just bought a Everstart MAXX ES14BS motorcyle battery from Wal-Mart ($65) yesterday. I had to add the sulfuric acid before charging for 2-4 hours. On the box and in the documentation it states that it is a AGM battery.

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one that had to do this. thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM

2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
Originally Posted by dochou
Yes it says AGM in big giant letters on the box. If you check the sears.com website http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+Gold+14BS+AGM

You can see the acid in the white bottle. Once you fill with acid and let stand, cover the fill holes with the permanant cap then charge, it will be maintainance free for the life of the battery. As vettdvr said: he opened the caps up and could see acid in them.

As someone else wrote: the acid is instilled into the battery and then absorbed by the fiberglass. So my guess is that once I instill acid it will absorb into the fiberglass and activate the battery.

Any thoughts?
This sounds to me like the manufacturer having the customer do the last step in the manufacturing process and "passing on the savings to the customer". Sort of like when you buy the cheaper furniture pieces that you have to install yourself, usually with very "descriptive" diagrams
When I bought the OEM battery it was sealed, no acid adding.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM

2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
It is the only way to lengthen the storage shelf life on the battery. That is why they don't put the acid. When acid is on the battery, manufacturer will constantly replace old stock on the store with fresh one. That is why they have delivery date on those battery.

Sears 14-BS is a perfect replacement.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
vettdvr posted detailed instructions on this replacement. Search his posts and you should find it. Basically, he says disconnect the positive terminal on the MAIN battery before you work on the small one. This prevents problems if you accidentally short the positive side of the AUX battery during refittment. In the end, you are supposed to load the electrical system with heavy accessories (lights, rear defogg, etc) for about 2minutes PRIOR to starting the engine. There are several steps in between. I would definitely follow his post. The job MIGHT take 30 minutes if you are really slow. The AUX battery is below the cabin filter on the passenger side next to the firewall. Mine says battery in the trunk or (similar printing ) on the cover. Good luck and keep the $190 for yourself
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM

E320
I replaced the battery but still getting the red light with the battery symbol.
How long before the light goes off?
Will the alternator charge this battery like it does the main battery?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
I replaced the battery but still getting the red light with the battery symbol.
How long before the light goes off?
Will the alternator charge this battery like it does the main battery?
I hope you did a voltage check on the aux battery you put in before installation. It is possible to get a bad one. You should have about 12.6 volts + or - a bit. If under 12 it is probably bad.

Yes it will charge from the car. You might just drive it a bit to see if it charges.

BUT you also need to have verified your big battery is still good and your alternator is charging. You might have other issues.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 AM

E320
I hope you did a voltage check on the aux battery you put in before installation. It is possible to get a bad one. You should have about 12.6 volts + or - a bit. If under 12 it is probably bad.

Yes it will charge from the car. You might just drive it a bit to see if it charges.

BUT you also need to have verified your big battery is still good and your alternator is charging. You might have other issues.
I have a feeling I did not charge it up enough when I first got it. I used a trickle charger for 3 hours. Prior to install it read 13v on the meter. But today it read 11.5v. So I am hooking up trickle charger over night to see if that helps.

I don't think it's a bad battery b/c it was inactive until I added the sulfuric acic. So basically it should be a brand new battery.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
But today it read 11.5v. So I am hooking up trickle charger over night to see if that helps.

I don't think it's a bad battery b/c it was inactive until I added the sulfuric acic. So basically it should be a brand new battery.
11.5 V will probably trigger the warning.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM

E320
So I hooked up the trickle charger overnight and this morning the voltage was 8.5??!!!
Did the trickle charger drain my battery? Thats what it seems like.
Hmmm did it hook it up correctly?
Well I just put the positive lead on the charger to the positive lead on the battery and the negative to the negative. Doesn't that seem right?
I'll have to dig up the instructions somewhere.
I hope by driving the alternator will bring it back to 12v.

What is the function of the Aux battery?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
So I hooked up the trickle charger overnight and this morning the voltage was 8.5??!!!
Did the trickle charger drain my battery? Thats what it seems like.
Hmmm did it hook it up correctly?
Well I just put the positive lead on the charger to the positive lead on the battery and the negative to the negative. Doesn't that seem right?
I'll have to dig up the instructions somewhere.
I hope by driving the alternator will bring it back to 12v.

What is the function of the Aux battery?
The aux battery as I understand provides emergency power to the electric SBC brake system in the event of electrical failure.

Did you connect the battery correctly. + to the driver side and - to the pass side on the aux bat.?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:47 PM

E320
The aux battery as I understand provides emergency power to the electric SBC brake system in the event of electrical failure.

Did you connect the battery correctly. + to the driver side and - to the pass side on the aux bat.?
Thanks.
I will check when I get home.
Will there be any harm to the car if I reversed the leads?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Probably not to the car but maybe to the new aux bat. If you did,, since it is new hook it up correctly and try it again. It might survive if you had it reversed.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 AM

E320
Okay guys. I'm back again.
Well I thought I was done with this problem.
I finally got a new aux battery in and all was fine. The warning light went off and everything.
Then a month later the red light with pic of battery went on again!
I checked the aux battery voltage and it reads 12.6v. So it should be fine.
Now what do you think I should do? I'm lost.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Okay guys. I'm back again.
Well I thought I was done with this problem.
I finally got a new aux battery in and all was fine. The warning light went off and everything.
Then a month later the red light with pic of battery went on again!
I checked the aux battery voltage and it reads 12.6v. So it should be fine.
Now what do you think I should do? I'm lost.
Disconnect the - lead on the aux bat. then check voltage on the aux battery.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
The Autozone battery is a: GTX 14-BS for $79.99 minus $10 for the old battery return.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:57 AM

E320
Disconnect the - lead on the aux bat. then check voltage on the aux battery.
Okay tried this. The main and aux battery both read 12.6v.
Anyother ideas?
Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Red battery message ( Visit workshop)