E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 E350 4MATIC stalls after giving it a little throttle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4MATIC
2007 E350 4MATIC stalls after giving it a little throttle

Hi, I have a 2007 E350 4MATIC and i've been experiencing a bit of an issue lately. I have not taken it to the dealer lately, but if i'm driving and i floor it, or give about 50% or more throttle, once i let go of the accelerator and the car shifts into final gear, the car jerks somewhat violently and the car kind of stalls out. If i try accelerating, it just revs the engine as if im in neutral. I shift into neutral and back into drive and it still does the same thing. if i slow down to about 20mph.. then it kicks back into gear, but once i start driving, it will stay in that gear. If i try moving the gear shifter left or right to try to shift manually, that doesn't change the gear either. the only way to fix that is to pull over to the side of the road and turn the car off and back on again.

Now this is very annoying when i'm on the freeway and a car is going really slow and when i change lanes to pass it, this happens. then i have to pull over to the side, turn the car off and back on.

anyone know what could be wrong?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 AM

2007 E350 4MATIC
no one has any idea what the issue could be?
Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
I'm not sure what your car is doing exactly, but today mine kinda hung in gear towards the top of the RPM range when I took my foot off the pedal, had to push it further to get it to upshift. May be the start of the problem that you are now having. I'd bring it to the dealer regardless. It also will hesistate somewhat and I get clunky downshifts occasionally. Pisses the **** outta me haha. I KNOW the dealer is going to tell me nothing is wrong, but it is worth a shot I guess. What other choices do you have? Atleast it sounds like yours is f'd up enough that you can easily reproduce your problem for a tech on a ride along of something of that nature. Since my is intermitant (excuse the spelling) it is going to be much more difficult to get the stealer to take action. Such is life I guess but dissapointing for a car w/ on 7500 on the clock don't ya think? GL
Old 12-14-2008, 02:52 AM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Yeah, I set up an appointment with my dealer. Also if the car is stopped and i floor it, it like.. jerks real hard repeatedly before moving.. very annoying. But on the plus side, my dealer offered to take that car back and give me an 09 for a little less money.

I currently have a 2007 Metallic black w/ the sahara beige interior that i love (White seats and everything else is black) w/ sport package, premium 1 package, panoramic moonroof, wood/leather steering wheel and headlamp washer

The one he offered is black exterior, gray interior (don't know how i feel about that) bluetooth hands free, premium 1, sports package, headlamp washers.. and hard drive? don't know what that is..

anyways I don't know if i wanna do it. I really love the interior color of my current one and I like the pano moonroof. But i just might do it because of the issues im having w/ this, and also because im wayy over my miles on the car which they said they'll take care of.

Wonder if they'll charge me to fix the car if i trade it for a new one. I guess that's stuff i'll have to ask them
Old 12-14-2008, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Viper786
Yeah, I set up an appointment with my dealer. Also if the car is stopped and i floor it, it like.. jerks real hard repeatedly before moving.. very annoying. But on the plus side, my dealer offered to take that car back and give me an 09 for a little less money.

I currently have a 2007 Metallic black w/ the sahara beige interior that i love (White seats and everything else is black) w/ sport package, premium 1 package, panoramic moonroof, wood/leather steering wheel and headlamp washer

The one he offered is black exterior, gray interior (don't know how i feel about that) bluetooth hands free, premium 1, sports package, headlamp washers.. and hard drive? don't know what that is..

anyways I don't know if i wanna do it. I really love the interior color of my current one and I like the pano moonroof. But i just might do it because of the issues im having w/ this, and also because im wayy over my miles on the car which they said they'll take care of.

Wonder if they'll charge me to fix the car if i trade it for a new one. I guess that's stuff i'll have to ask them
Get one with leather, P2 and a 2-tone interior and you'll have a car to drive for years without compromise, although I would get the 2wd 7g model and just use snow tires and summer tires respectively.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It sounds like it is a problem with the ignition/injection control. Maybe fuel pump relay or faulty knock sensor?

Strange that it stalls, it should go in to limp mode.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 AM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Get one with leather, P2 and a 2-tone interior and you'll have a car to drive for years without compromise, although I would get the 2wd 7g model and just use snow tires and summer tires respectively.
I've had a rear wheel drive car before (BMW 5 series) and I don't know how familiar you are with Michigan winters, but it's very very hard to drive a rear wheel drive car in Michigan winters.

As for the P2, I don't really see a need for it. It's about 2000 dollars extra and the only thing I'll get are the Bi-Xenon lights, cornering foglamps, and Keyless Go.

Apparently the car he offered to me also has Headlamp washers (and so does my current one right now) and I was under the impression it only came with the P2 package.

And as for the Limp Mode, i didn't know the correct term for that, but that's exactly what's happening with my car. It's going into limp mode. Is this something covered under warranty? If not, is it an expensive repair?

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've had a rear wheel drive car before (BMW 5 series) and I don't know how familiar you are with Michigan winters, but it's very very hard to drive a rear wheel drive car in Michigan winters.

As for the P2, I don't really see a need for it. It's about 2000 dollars extra and the only thing I'll get are the Bi-Xenon lights, cornering foglamps, and Keyless Go.

Apparently the car he offered to me also has Headlamp washers (and so does my current one right now) and I was under the impression it only came with the P2 package.

And as for the Limp Mode, i didn't know the correct term for that, but that's exactly what's happening with my car. It's going into limp mode. Is this something covered under warranty? If not, is it an expensive repair?
It is covered under warranry.

I have done several winters in Germany and even Denmark with a RWD manual E class, tires are the most important factor, and worse case scenario, stones in the trunk.

The cornering bi-xenons are a safety feature in my book, so I would automatically get P2. Also, once you have used keyless go, you will never go back. But again, I keep my cars for a while so that $2k on a $50k+ purchase is nothing to even think about.

I know Polar Bear is with me here.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
I'm not sure what your car is doing exactly, but today mine kinda hung in gear towards the top of the RPM range when I took my foot off the pedal, had to push it further to get it to upshift. May be the start of the problem that you are now having. I'd bring it to the dealer regardless. It also will hesistate somewhat and I get clunky downshifts occasionally. Pisses the **** outta me haha. I KNOW the dealer is going to tell me nothing is wrong, but it is worth a shot I guess. What other choices do you have? Atleast it sounds like yours is f'd up enough that you can easily reproduce your problem for a tech on a ride along of something of that nature. Since my is intermitant (excuse the spelling) it is going to be much more difficult to get the stealer to take action. Such is life I guess but dissapointing for a car w/ on 7500 on the clock don't ya think? GL
I get the exact same problem. Hard shifts - especially if I start to accelerate (like to pass) then let go of the throttle, car clunks into and out of gear. When I go to pass, it makes a whole lot of noise, revs high and hangs for a few seconds (though no stall, thank God) - then finally gets the power to go.
Going downhill sometimes, downshifts on it's own and I have to step hard to get it to shift up. The tranny seems f'd to me - but now I gotta wait till after Christmas to go to the dealer.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:50 AM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
It is covered under warranry.

I have done several winters in Germany and even Denmark with a RWD manual E class, tires are the most important factor, and worse case scenario, stones in the trunk.

The cornering bi-xenons are a safety feature in my book, so I would automatically get P2. Also, once you have used keyless go, you will never go back. But again, I keep my cars for a while so that $2k on a $50k+ purchase is nothing to even think about.

I know Polar Bear is with me here.
It just snowed about 10 inches here. My friend has the same exact car as mine except his is the RWD and he could not drive it at all. It's for snowfalls like this I got the 4MATIC. 4MATIC is a safety feature in my book
Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It just snowed about 10 inches here. My friend has the same exact car as mine except his is the RWD and he could not drive it at all. It's for snowfalls like this I got the 4MATIC. 4MATIC is a safety feature in my book
I never said 4matic is not good, I happen to think it is a great system and fantastic technology.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:55 AM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
It also will hesistate somewhat and I get clunky downshifts occasionally. Pisses the **** outta me haha. I KNOW the dealer is going to tell me nothing is wrong, but it is worth a shot I guess. What other choices do you have? Atleast it sounds like yours is f'd up enough that you can easily reproduce your problem for a tech on a ride along of something of that nature. Since my is intermitant (excuse the spelling) it is going to be much more difficult to get the stealer to take action. Such is life I guess but dissapointing for a car w/ on 7500 on the clock don't ya think? GL

I'm also experiencing the intermittent/occasional/random clunky downshifts when I'm braking or coasting to a stop. It feels very unrefined and sometimes embarassing especially when I have passengers in the car. This happens the most when the car is still cold. I have 18k miles on my 07.

Ofcourse what I'm experiencing is nothing like the OP's, he really should bring the car in ASAP.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Hey guys, heard back from my service advisor about the symptoms I described earlier. I sat down and told him I that I didn't want them to just flush the transmisson fluid and put a new filter on and tell me nothing is wrong. Instead, they did a new adaptation to the transmission and updated the trans control unit. I'll find out more when I pick it up tomorrow but hopefully this will help some of you to figure out how to fix your own. I'll post again tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Interesting that this seems to be with 4Ms. I have a RWD and it shifts smoothly. I drove in C mode until I broke it in, and then pretty aggressively later on. It appears to have really adapted to my driving nicely now.

However, I do use the paddles for freeway passing and also downshifts. It's much more precise that way rather than using the go pedal as kickdown.

And now, even without the paddles, it upshifts always to 5k just using the go pedal kickdown. And if I just putter around it's very smooth keeping it all around 2k. I think it really does adapt and maybe one should be more assertive with these trannies to get them to behave(?)
Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
Hey guys, heard back from my service advisor about the symptoms I described earlier. I sat down and told him I that I didn't want them to just flush the transmisson fluid and put a new filter on and tell me nothing is wrong. Instead, they did a new adaptation to the transmission and updated the trans control unit. I'll find out more when I pick it up tomorrow but hopefully this will help some of you to figure out how to fix your own. I'll post again tomorrow.
Sounds great!

Please share details
Old 03-28-2009, 11:36 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Hey all, just want to update everyone on this. In November we had a pretty bad snow storm here in Michigan and a car spun out on the highway which in turn struck the back of my car causing me to skid off the road and hit the railing. Both cars had very minor damage.

Anyway, while it was at the collision shop, they called me and said my transmission fluid leaked all over their floor and they towed the car to a Mercedes dealership. Apparently there was a recall (which i was never informed of) for the transmission. They fixed it for free. It has been working perfectly ever since the dealer took care of the recall issue.

Just wanted you guys with this issue to ask your dealer if there's a transmission recall that can fix this. Obviously since it's a recall, it's free. It's also covered under warranty.

Anyways, my car is running very smoothly now!