E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What the hell is going on with my tranny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the hell is going on with my tranny?

I took my 2003 E500 for transmission jerking in December of 2007 with approximately 40,000 miles. The technician changed the valve body, flashed the transmission ecu and changed out the tranny fluids. Problem was diminished until earlier this week.

I currently have approximately 55,000 miles on the odometer and my warranty is expired.

The transmission jerking is more aggresive now and is actually pushing me into the seat. It has a hard time shifting into the next gear and at some times the tranny feels like it's floating around from gear to gear when I'm trying to mantain a consistent speed (say 35 mph). It's getting annoying and aggravating having to drive a nice car like this.

I've searched the forums since last december when I had this problem so I know what could go wrong.

My question is who would be responsible for the bills as I'm taking it in first thing in the morning. I feel as if it's the same problem that occured the first time. What happens if I had a bad radiator and it leaked fluid into the tranny...shouldn't the dealership spotted a bad radiator when I had the car in the first time.

I'm just worried having to pay a huge bill when I feel it's not even my fault.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Will probably be dependent upon your relationship with your SA and past history with that dealer.

What has your research led you to believe is the problem? Bad TCM, conductor plate, solenoid seals or other?

Adapation values should be way out of wack.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Ya, I started having that problem, taking it in today. I will keep you posted on what they say.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
I thought you were talking about a female impersonator until I read the thread.
My immediate inclination is that you will have to pay for the repairs given that you are now out of warranty. But, as stated above, it all depends on your relationship with the dealership and your SA
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM

2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Ya, I started having that problem, taking it in today. I will keep you posted on what they say.
How many miles do you have?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by 6hift
My question is who would be responsible for the bills as I'm taking it in first thing in the morning. I feel as if it's the same problem that occured the first time.
If it turns out to be the same problem or related I would suggest you speak with the SM to request a goodwill repair. Reason being, ALL repairs are warranted for 1-year/unlimited mileage and you are but several days out of this period.Check your email.

https://mbworld.org/forums/3201573-post82.html
Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500
sounds just like my car right now. bad radiator leaking into the tranny fluid as you mentioned. 54K on my 2003 E500. $4000 in repairs. hopefully thats all.
good luck to you, hopefully they'll cover it for you.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the advice and hopefully I get some good news tomorrow.

Konigstiger,

Thanks, I'll check my email soon.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
My service advisor and the technician that I drove with suspect it to be glycol contamination. He said it was more common on 03's but can also happen on 04s. Said it would need a whole new tranny , torque converter, coolant lines, new radiator, and a couple of other stuff. He said everything should be covered under the starmark warranty.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500
gawd damn! glad to hear the warranty will pay for it. im headed to get mine from the dealer right now. say a prayer for my poor financial situation...
Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Since I have a 12/2002 build 320, I have more than apassing interest in this thread. I was under the impression that the radiator problem was limited to Valeo products used only in the V-8. I have checked my radiator and whatever brand it is, it does not appear to be a Valeo. I can yank that bad boy out and put in an "improved" piece probably in a couple of hours. I believe the new radiator is about $200. Obviously this is preferable to $4k in tranny rebuild. Car is out of warranty. I don't have a relationship with any dealer as I do all service work on the car. Any information that you care to post would be appreciated. I believe that ANYONE would be willing to replace a radiator at their own expense rather than fight with a dealer over who is going to bear the expense of a major rebuild.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 AM

Just took it in this morning and the service advisor called me back stating that they didn't have a glycol contamination test kit in stock so I have to wait till monday to get my car back.

What they did so far was check for software trouble, remove the tranny pan to check for damages and metal fragments and lastly they are going to do the glycol contamination test for the second time.

What sucks is that they notice the problem with the tranny and from my point of view it's going to be something mechanical. With that being so I'm already expecting a large bill and don't even know how I'm going to pay for it. I mention briefly to the service advisor if mbusa can be liable for the issue and the advisor just told me that I'm already a couple of days and a couple thousand miles past the 12 month part warranty when they replaced the valve body in the tranny.

This is stressing me soooo much and just can't believe what is going on. I don't even drive this car hard at all and it still has low mileage for being a 2003.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC AMG43
That seriously SUCKS !!! I feel for ya dude...

I wonder why MBUSA hasn't made this issue a RECALL item ?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500
Originally Posted by FIDDY-SEVEN
I wonder why MBUSA hasn't made this issue a RECALL item ?
because it isnt a safety issue. which is BS. seems like theyd want to cover their *** when it comes to outright design flaws. theres a thread about this bouncing around somewhere, but in relation to airmatic issues. another wonderful MB engineering feat thats built to fail.
nobody asked for my opinion, but i'll give it anyway....an early model 211 E is a ****ty car to own. with or without a warranty.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 AM

none
hey if you bought the car from that dealer they may good will it for you that means they will pay for parts and you pay for labor... if they dont!!! put your foot down and they will help you make a ruckus there.... works at my job
Old 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by blas0827
hey if you bought the car from that dealer they may good will it for you that means they will pay for parts and you pay for labor... if they dont!!! put your foot down and they will help you make a ruckus there.... works at my job
Thanks for the advice but I bought this car used. If that was the case I'm still looking at a tremendous price regardless if i don't pay for the part. Labor at the dealership is still expensive.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Thanks for the advice but I bought this car used. If that was the case I'm still looking at a tremendous price regardless if i don't pay for the part. Labor at the dealership is still expensive.
My radiator failed and contaminated my trans fluid around the 40,000 mile point, too, but mine was fixed under my three year CPO warranty........they had to replace the radiator and converter but not the trans. If your dealer doesn't provide any costs assistance on the repair, my advice is to contact MBUSA Customer Care and explain the situation......their contact info is in your owners manual on available from their Website. You should reference the MB Service Bulletin which discusses how the original Valeo radiator connectors often fail thus contaminating the transmission fluid and the Service Bulletin says, if that's the case after doing the glyco test........includes putting in the replacement radiator which has a different connectors design. To many of us, this Valeo radiator failure should be considered a MB inhernet design flaw and MB should step up to the plate and fix this issue. There's also a group that contacted me to suggest people sue MB in small claims court for the repair costs if they don't have the warranty coverage. There are just too many of these radiator failures on the 2003 E series, maybe others, not to hold MBUSA accountable. If you don't have the MB Service Bulletin for this issue, you can PM me your email and I'll send the pdf file to you.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM

mclean,

Can you send me the bullentin on the radiator? They still have my car at the shop and still waiting on the results. By the way are you a lawyer?

Sending you a pm of my email too.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM

mclean,

Can you send me the bullentin on the radiator? They still have my car at the shop and still waiting on the results. By the way are you a lawyer?

Sending you a pm of my email too.

Thanks
No, I'm not a lawyer. I got your PM and sent you the Service Bulletin a few minutes ago.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 AM

Got a call from the service advisor and said that everything was ok. They check for glycol contamination and found nothing. At the end they just did a software reset and all I have to pay for is the diagnostic. So I hope everthing is well when I drive it home.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM

2006 E350
where exactly does it say what brand the radiator is? I looked all over my 2003 E320 and I cant find a brand on it. The only thing I see is a BOSCH label on the radiator fan. I have never experienced any transmission (or radiator) problems in the time I have had the car (right now it has 74k miles). Would having the VIN number help determine the radiator type? Im out of warranty on the car so if it is a valeo radiator, id rather pay for a new radiator now than a new transmission and radiator in the future... any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by shadinator
where exactly does it say what brand the radiator is? I looked all over my 2003 E320 and I cant find a brand on it. The only thing I see is a BOSCH label on the radiator fan. I have never experienced any transmission (or radiator) problems in the time I have had the car (right now it has 74k miles). Would having the VIN number help determine the radiator type? Im out of warranty on the car so if it is a valeo radiator, id rather pay for a new radiator now than a new transmission and radiator in the future... any suggestions?
There should be a sticker on top of the radiator. You don't see it when you open the hood because the radiator is covered with a rubber flap. Gently lift the flap an look underneath. If the sticker has a letter B with a circle surrounding the B, it is a Behr radiator. I believe the Valeo radiator will have the Valeo name printed on it.

I sent off a sample of transmission fluid to Blackstone Laboratories to have the fluid checked for glycol contamination before I found out where the label was on the radiator. My test came back negative for antifreeze.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by shadinator
These are the years and model vehicles listed from the MB TSB that have the Valeo OEM radiator installed. If your car is one listed, it has the Valeo radiator unless it was replaced by a prior owner. My advice is to do preventive maintenance and replace the radiator with the new version. Can't be that expensive and maybe your MB Dealer might be able to get MBUSA to pay for it if you cite the TSB. To preclude OEM radiator failure, I've seen a few posts on this forum that some MB owners have installed a new, separate transmission cooler system to bypass the OEM radiator.....but why do that when it's easier to just replace the radiator. PM me if you want a copy of the MB TSB.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mcleantmw
These are the years and model vehicles listed from the MB TSB that have the Valeo OEM radiator installed. If your car is one listed, it has the Valeo radiator unless it was replaced by a prior owner. My advice is to do preventive maintenance and replace the radiator with the new version. Can't be that expensive and maybe your MB Dealer might be able to get MBUSA to pay for it if you cite the TSB. To preclude OEM radiator failure, I've seen a few posts on this forum that some MB owners have installed a new, separate transmission cooler system to bypass the OEM radiator.....but why do that when it's easier to just replace the radiator. PM me if you want a copy of the MB TSB.
Model 203.040/061/064/065/081/084/261/264/281/284/740/747/764
Model 209.365/375/376/465/475
Model 211.065/070/076/083/265/283
Up to Production Date 09/2003
Harsh Engagement Possibly Followed by Droning/Buzzing Noises During Light Acceleration Between Engine Speed of 1200 – 2500 RPM
If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of humming/buzzing noises or noticeable harsh
Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 PM

2006 E350
Originally Posted by X72
There should be a sticker on top of the radiator. You don't see it when you open the hood because the radiator is covered with a rubber flap. Gently lift the flap an look underneath. If the sticker has a letter B with a circle surrounding the B, it is a Behr radiator. I believe the Valeo radiator will have the Valeo name printed on it.

I sent off a sample of transmission fluid to Blackstone Laboratories to have the fluid checked for glycol contamination before I found out where the label was on the radiator. My test came back negative for antifreeze.
I spent like 10 minutes searching and I couldnt find any label Its probably best to do what you did unless I can get the dealer to swap out my radiator...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What the hell is going on with my tranny?