E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Clear Bra film and Zanio products?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 Sport
Clear Bra film and Zanio products?

I'm installing Stongard's clear bra on my E500 Sport. I'm also applying Zanio products.

Question: I'm looking for any do's, don'ts, cautions, bewares, got-yas, when I have a clear bra film and using Zanio Bros products. I want to be as perfect as possible! Thanks Mark
Old 01-28-2003, 02:27 PM

2003 E320
I asked my salesman about StonGard (sp?, a clear bra) and he and a service person emphatically told me MB doesn't approve of any products of that sort.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:42 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
Clearbra

First, make sure no wax or Zaino has any residue on the surface or the vinly won't stick well, if at all.

When installing clear film make sure you thoroughly clean the entire front of the car including the entire hood area or any part of the car where the unapplied film might touch.

You'll need to use lots of the 'solution' to keep the film from sticking to anything it shouldn't.

Keep everything wet until you are ready for it to stick to something which is where the heat gun comes in.

You'll use the gun to dry out the small areas you are done positioning.

Once you have got a good start fastened you'll have an easier time working out the rest of the piece. Don't heat dry it until you have it where you really want it.

Use your fingers to guage the temp of the heat gun. If your fingers burn so will the vinyl.

You can back out of a mistake but you'll need to do it carefully. Make sure that everything is wet, and snap the unattached film to unfasten the mistake application area. Do it quickly to avoid stretching the film. Respray and begin again.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:58 PM

2003 CLK 320
The mercedes dealer I bought my 2003 clk 320 from had no problem with the invisible bra installation on a mercedes they sale the bra and have a person who installs it at the dealership. The dealership and the salesperson did approve the invisible bra that was installed on my car. I am very happy with the invisible bra. I will zaino when it warms up here in Wisconsin. I know you cannot wax the bra when you first get it I think you have to wait for the bra to stick. I think they told me to wait about a week.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:59 PM

E500 Sport
My question above is assuming that I have the Clear Bra installed correctly, on clean paint....... and what should be my concerns with putting Zanio product on it and the edges?
Old 01-28-2003, 10:00 PM

'03 E320
Originally posted by Gethen
I asked my salesman about StonGard (sp?, a clear bra) and he and a service person emphatically told me MB doesn't approve of any products of that sort.
I guess each dealership has thier own opinion. All the loaner/rental cars at my MBZ dealership have an invisable bra installed. They then remove the old bra, and detail the car when they place on the used car lot. Sure does a nice job of keeping the front end protected, and I have not seen any residual problems after bra removal.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
A car salesman is really a confidence man!

Originally posted by Gethen
I don't believe that Mercedes-Benz as in Daimler-Chrysler has a policy, directive, warning, TSB (tech service bulletin) concerning these type of products.

That would be like Mercedes-Benz warning against using a certain brand of wax, Window Cleaner, telling you what gas station to use or what brand of tire is required.

BMW sell these types of kits as a BMW supplied product with a BMW stock number, and since MBZ follows BMW with features like heated steering wheels, harman kardon stereo they will probably offer these types of paint protection soon.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 01-28-2003 at 11:42 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2003, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 CLS 550
Hi -- the Zaino is a great product but make sure that you fully follow the application process as far as tempurature, etc. If not, the drying process can literally take days. I wh=ould say no to applying it to the clear bra. HOWEVER, They have a web site, www.zainobros.com that may be able to answer you question absolutely. Also, www.autopia.org and www.rennlist.org have good detailing information on Zaino and other high end products.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I have both the Stongard bra and use Zaino on my E500. I assume you will have the bra installed before starting the Zaino process, ie claying, dawning, Z-5, Z-2, etc.

The only place you will have to be careful is at the edges or you will get a noticeable line when the Zaino dries. You can take that off with a cotton swab and Z-6.

There is no precautions that I know of (and I checked) and I have had no problems. I Zaino and Z-6 the bra as well as the car.

Ed

ADDED: All of the MB dealers in this area promote and sell either the Stongard or the Invici-shield bra which both use the same
3-M product. The difference is the templates used for the cuts.

Last edited by etenn; 01-29-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:36 PM

E500 Sport
Thanks Ed (a.k.a. etenn)

The information you provided is exactly the information I was looking for..... it's what I expected and you confirmed it for me.

Mark
Old 01-29-2003, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
I had my paint protection clear bra installed by an independant on the Mercedes dealer parking lot. The dealer's General Manager wanted to watch the process for consideration of offering it to their customers.