E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

09 E350 Trans Hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 SL55, 1954 Corvette, 09 E350
09 E350 Trans Hesitation

We have an 09 E350. When I put it in forward or reverse you can hear it shift immediately. Problem is that if you are on an incline, it doesn't go into gear immediately. This of course is a problem if you are trying to back out of a parking spot because I rolled forward and caught the front lip on the curb stop. It pulled the front valence down about 3 inches in the center. Now it is very easy to scrape if I were to get up to a curb.
I took the car into the dealer and we have an appointment to have the car looked at. Is this now normal transmission function? My previously owned 01 E320, 01 SLK320, 06 SL500 didn't do that and my presently owned 07 SL550 doesn't do that.
The service technician said he would drive another 09 E350 to see if they have the delay. I can't beleive they don't know.
Any one else familiar with this problem? Any feedback before going to the dealer would be helpful.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Low on Transmission Fluid?

Could the problem be that the tranny is low on tranny fluid?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
If other cars don't have this problem, then it needs to be fixed. It's not acceptable to have this kind of problem for a car that costs $50k-60k. On my 2004 E500 CPO, the SBC unit was making too much vibration noise, the first time I complained about that to the dealer, they said it was normal in most cars and didn't want to fix it, and they didn't. The 2nd time, I was back to the dealer, and I told them that this noise was not acceptable for a car that costs $70k when new. Then they fixed the problem by putting a damper.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
It happens to mine once in a blue moon. Much more so when I first got the car, but as its learned my driving style or whatever, I don't many jolts or delays at all.

However yeah it's happened to me, I'd put the car in reverse, let off the brake, and find myself almost rolling into the car parked in front of me.

Ironically it happened to me today come to think of it, which was weird as it was the first time in a long time that its happened.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 PM

The car is in the shop. When I was asked to sign the paperwork to authorize the work, all the service had put down was "owner states transmission hesitates when put into gear".
I had to tell them that it clicks/clunks into gear right away, but it does not have to power to hold on an incline.
They ammended the paperwork.
They gave me a C300 with about 3000 miles on it. Nice car. Guess what? The transmission in it works like it should on an incline.
They needed the car overnight so they could check it with cold fluid as well as hot. They called late this afternoon saying they were still working on the problem.
I can't believe you would need to use you left foot to hold the brake and your right foot on the gas. I would think that a drivers license officer would dock you some points for that. Most of all, as stated above, a $60,000 car shouldn't be like that.
I hope this doesn't become a battle.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
FWIW my 2005 E320 CDI does not hold on a hill (in S or in C), but it has the 722.6 transmission.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Good News! They indeed said that a service bulletin has been issued about the transmission doing just what happened. So it required some type of adjustment, which they did and now it performs perfectly by holding the car on an incline immediately when put in reverse.

Also, they have agreed to replace the entire front valance, paint to match and install. They say they will need four days to do the job. I am a happy camper.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM

2004 E500 CLK320
Congrats! Please keep us posted on exactly what they did to the transmission to fix the problem.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM

The service invoice states they performed a software install to the control unit to reprogram it and a trans adaptation.
They updated the software for the trans control unit.
Transmission now shifts and engages correctly and is smooth - no hard jump into gear.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by GOODENUF
The service invoice states they performed a software install to the control unit to reprogram it and a trans adaptation. They updated the software for the trans control unit. Transmission now shifts and engages correctly and is smooth - no hard jump into gear.
MY09 211.022 (Bluetec) /056 (350)/072 (550) /256 (350 wagon)

DTB S-B-27.00/109a FEB09 delayed engagement into reverse gear with valve body part #s 2202702306 & 2202702406 is the result of software and hardware not optimally matched.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM

E320
I brought my 03' E320 for its D service last week to a dealer and also had them check out a hard/jerky upshift transmission between 2nd and 3rd gear.

They were unable to duplicate the experience but performed " a software flash to the transmission and no codes were found". They also performed the
glycol test and the tests were resulting as clean/no contamination.

I brought the car back in this week for them to do a more extended test drive and they are now stating that the Valve body for the transmission needs replacement.

The part is covered by warranty but was advised that in order to change the part I need a torque converter flush for $730 and this is NOT covered by warranty as this is considered regular maintenance procedure?

My feeling is that the flush should be covered since this is need to
change the warrantied valve part. Otherwise I would not need to have
this torque flush?

I called MBUSA and they reiterated the "regular maintainance" point but said they would call the dealer to discuss as any financial concession would be at the dealers discretion. At this point Im not optomistic to them absorbing any of this cost but it certainly does not seem right that I assume the full burden of the cost to replace
the warranted valve body.

Anyone have their valve body replaced under warranty and also have the cost of torque converter flush covered by warranty or this cost expected to be absorbed by the customer?

BTW, the loaner car I was issued is a newer C300 ( 13K miles) and the tranmission does shift much nicer and smoother- this is what I would expect with my E after this service.

Last edited by enr1co; 04-07-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:51 PM

2004 E500 CLK320
enr1co, the dealer's request that you pay $730 for the torque converter flush is totally unreasonable. You ask to speak the service manager. It's like when you're getting the water pump replaced, they're also charging you labor for taking off the belts. That's just pure scam. If they still insist you paying $730, just tell them that you don't want to do the torque converter maintenance, and just have them to fix the valve problem. Is your car under CPO warranty, or is this a good-will repair? When I had this problem fixed, the dealer didn't mention about the torque converter flush, they said the transmission fluid was changed.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 AM

E320
Originally Posted by SZMB
enr1co, the dealer's request that you pay $730 for the torque converter flush is totally unreasonable. You ask to speak the service manager. It's like when you're getting the water pump replaced, they're also charging you labor for taking off the belts. That's just pure scam. If they still insist you paying $730, just tell them that you don't want to do the torque converter maintenance, and just have them to fix the valve problem. Is your car under CPO warranty, or is this a good-will repair? When I had this problem fixed, the dealer didn't mention about the torque converter flush, they said the transmission fluid was changed.
Thanks SZMB-my car is CPO up to 100K miles or March of 2011- current mileage is 63,000.

After my discussion w/ MBUSA, they intervened by calling the service/dealer. It turns out that the DTB process to diagnose the valve body replacement under warranty was not adhered to by the service/dealer so they did not go on with the work, no new valve body, no $730 torque flush on my car. I was informed that they willl keep my car another day or so to re-run the dignostic steps on the "DTB" to see if there are any resulting "DTC" (error codes?).

Should it come down replacing the valve body again, I will take your advise
and decline the torque flush.

Additionally, Im having them diagnose my air matic suspension as over the weekend as I was drying off my car from washing it, I heard a high squeaky noise from the hood. Couldnt figure out what it was but the next morning my driver side was dropped low, close to the tire. I didnt get any airmatic warning signal and it actually rose back to normal height after driving it a few miles. I'm hoping most of the air matic suspension is covered under warranty so that this issue can be diagnosed and fixed. If the dealer says I need new brakes before the suspension can be fixed under warranty, I just drive away and try another MBZ service center

e
Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 AM

E320
The scam idea is getting reinforced... I just googled "torque flush cost for MBZ" and saw this site
http://www.mbofrichmond.com/service/...enu/index.html

Man, I realize the COL in the SF Bay area is higher than most parts of the
country but if I was quoted only $249 for the transmission flush/incld torque flush, I probably woundnt have made much of a stink about it.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
If other cars don't have this problem, then it needs to be fixed. It's not acceptable to have this kind of problem for a car that costs $50k-60k. On my 2004 E500 CPO, the SBC unit was making too much vibration noise, the first time I complained about that to the dealer, they said it was normal in most cars and didn't want to fix it, and they didn't. The 2nd time, I was back to the dealer, and I told them that this noise was not acceptable for a car that costs $70k when new. Then they fixed the problem by putting a damper.
There was a recall out on that too. Ya, I remember, the thing was really loud. Once they put the damper, it is soooo much better.

In regards to the C300: the transmission shifted so well that I was surprised. The 350: even better. I can see that MB really stepped up their game with the newer models. Hope the new E class will follow suite.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:17 PM

E320
Originally Posted by enr1co
Thanks SZMB-my car is CPO up to 100K miles or March of 2011- current mileage is 63,000.

After my discussion w/ MBUSA, they intervened by calling the service/dealer. It turns out that the DTB process to diagnose the valve body replacement under warranty was not adhered to by the service/dealer so they did not go on with the work, no new valve body, no $730 torque flush on my car. I was informed that they willl keep my car another day or so to re-run the dignostic steps on the "DTB" to see if there are any resulting "DTC" (error codes?).

Should it come down replacing the valve body again, I will take your advise
and decline the torque flush.

Additionally, Im having them diagnose my air matic suspension as over the weekend as I was drying off my car from washing it, I heard a high squeaky noise from the hood. Couldnt figure out what it was but the next morning my driver side was dropped low, close to the tire. I didnt get any airmatic warning signal and it actually rose back to normal height after driving it a few miles. I'm hoping most of the air matic suspension is covered under warranty so that this issue can be diagnosed and fixed. If the dealer says I need new brakes before the suspension can be fixed under warranty, I just drive away and try another MBZ service center

e
This dealer visit ends with the transmission or airmatic not producing any "codes" to allow any warranty work to proceed. Im told that both are performing fine. They did perform the glycol test and my tranny was found clean. Also determined that I didnt have the questionable Valeo radiator. Nevertheless, I think I'm done with this MBZ service/dealer that one day tells me that I need a torque flush for $730 and now everything is running "fine".

I realize that a service reps job is to keep work channeled to their respective work place but building a reputation
of being honest and straighforward would eventually bring dividends to the organization in the long term.

Anyone have any recommendations of a straight forward MBzservice rep/dealer in the SF Bay Area?

Last edited by enr1co; 04-10-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by konigstiger
MY09 211.022 (Bluetec) /056 (350)/072 (550) /256 (350 wagon)

DTB S-B-27.00/109a FEB09 delayed engagement into reverse gear with valve body part #s 2202702306 & 2202702406 is the result of software and hardware not optimally matched.
Many thanks once again for coming through with the DTB, Mr. King Tiger
Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 PM

2004 E500 CLK320
enr1co, what a bummer. You need to try a different dealership. My car produced no fault codes either, but the dealer fixed the problem. I have my car serviced at Smythe in San Jose. Give them a call and ask for Troy, who's very responsible and knowledgable about this problem. Talk to him and see what he says.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 PM

2004 E500 CLK320
when you bring the car in for warranty service, ask for a complimentary rental. Smythe is pretty good about this.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM

E320
enr1co, what a bummer. You need to try a different dealership. My car produced no fault codes either, but the dealer fixed the problem. I have my car serviced at Smythe in San Jose. Give them a call and ask for Troy, who's very responsible and knowledgable about this problem. Talk to him and see what he says.
Thanks SZMB- Im located in San Ramon and work in SF but may have to head to Smythe out the only other alternatives is Walnut Creek. I havent heard too much positive reviews of them so was reluctant to bring it there. I purchased my car from Pleasanton but it was like pulling teeth to get them to do the warranty work to perform the work on the upgraded SBC hose to dampen the buzzing.

I used to have an 89 300E that I took to Smythe for warranty work some years ago and recall that they did replace the AC that went out without
any issues. I was working in the So Bay at that time but may have to bring it to them for my next scheduled service or if any other warning lights go on.

Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
Slipping from Reverse into Drive

Took in about a month ago and peformed a programing on the transmission and all was good shifting with no slipping and also not sluggish. Taking it back this week for the slipping again and i still thinks it a little sluggish again. My 07 E350 didn't have any issues so i guess this is all about programing. I will provide the following: DTB S-B-27.00/109a FEB09 delayed engagement into reverse gear with valve body part #s 2202702306 & 2202702406 is the result of software and hardware not optimally matched. Hopefully this will help and get me back on track.

thoughts..

Thanks,