E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cracked Wood Covered by Certified Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Cracked Wood Covered by Certified Warranty?

My original factory warranty expired, and i've just noticed that with the recent cold snap (went from very cold to very warm in hours), i have two cracks on my wood wheel and one on the ashtray cover.

I've searched but cant find an answer to the question: will this be a covered item under the certified preowned warranty that kicked in after?

I suspect no, and will be calling the dealer tomorrow, but needless to say, it's disheartening to have three separate cracks crop up at the same time.

Any experiences?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 Sport
I currently have the same issue with my ash tray cover....its a hair line crack about 3-4 inches long....I still have original factory warranty so hopefully it will be covered and I will be calling the dealership soon. I also believe it happened because of the weather.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
No. New car warranty covers it, but certified does not. Unless of course your dealer wants to extend some good will...
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Had a hairline crack on the CD cover door (wood). NP to get it replaced under original warranty.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by killatee18
I currently have the same issue with my ash tray cover....its a hair line crack about 3-4 inches long....I still have original factory warranty so hopefully it will be covered and I will be calling the dealership soon. I also believe it happened because of the weather.
Interesting... Mine cracked also and was replaced under warranty. HOWEVER,, the wood color doesn't quite match. Most don't notice it but I do. No two pieces of wood will have the same color which is why the wood is made as a set. BMW does the same thing and makes EXTRA pieces for the car, saves them under the vin in the event the owner needs them. I toured the BMW dealer and asked. So based on the tour guide in the BMW factory is my source of info.

Aparently MB doesn't do this based on my color match.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Interesting... Mine cracked also and was replaced under warranty. HOWEVER,, the wood color doesn't quite match. Most don't notice it but I do. No two pieces of wood will have the same color which is why the wood is made as a set. BMW does the same thing and makes EXTRA pieces for the car, saves them under the vin in the event the owner needs them. I toured the BMW dealer and asked. So based on the tour guide in the BMW factory is my source of info.

Aparently MB doesn't do this based on my color match.
Hard to believe that BMW would stockpile extra wood sets by VIN just in case someone might need them. That's a lot of expense just sitting on shelves. If they really do that, I wonder how long they'd wait before just selling a piece to someone without a matching VIN?