E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trust & Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350
Trust & Oil Changes

I need to get my oil changed on an 2007 E350, but I don't want to go to the dealership. That leaves me with going to a third party mechanic. How can I know if they -actually- changed my oil? I've heard horror stories of how places just reset your monitor and say all's good.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Mark your filter where you can see it with a permanent marker with your initials. Check to see if it is there after and check your dipstick before and after for oil color change. The new oil should be translucent and light colored versus dark or black for the old.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Fractal
I need to get my oil changed on an 2007 E350, but I don't want to go to the dealership. That leaves me with going to a third party mechanic. How can I know if they -actually- changed my oil? I've heard horror stories of how places just reset your monitor and say all's good.
It is unfortunate but there are shops that don't always do the right thing. Oil change. sure we have oil and filters for your car?

But does it meet 229.51 and is it the fleece long life filter. Or is it the bulk 10w30 that most cars use with cheapO filter.

Also they always want to look at everthing under the hood for sales opportunity even when you tell them "DON'T open it" they still do.

SO yes I am cautious. They have to EARN my confidence. You ask how they do that. When they point out an issue and show me the problem. This is how you begin to gain confidence. When they tell you to buy a new aircleaner when the one you have has only 3000 miles,, that's another story.

There are shops that are straight up. But before I would let non MB shop do mine I would ask about the oil they would use. If it doesn't meet specs don't let the door hit you in the A@#$# on the way out.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM

1987 190E 2.3-16V
I normally bring my own oil and original oil filter to have them change it. I only go to places where I can see the car being serviced from the waiting room. That way, I know exactly what is going into the car.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Almost a Member!

a car
I would check the filter --> it should look brand spankin' new.
As others have said, I would also check the color of the oil, as it should have no debris and have a light brown color.

Most importantly -- ask friends and family for their experience with a shop -- nothing is better than a good recommendation from family/friends.

G.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Does 07 have a dip stick, or just the tube?

If under warranty, I'd prob let the delaer do it so that any service recalls could be taken care of at the same time. If out of warranty, I'd go to a good MB indy for service I didn't want to do myself.

Last edited by TMAllison; 04-21-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by TMAllison
Does 07 have a dip stick, or just the tube?
2007 HAS a Dipstick... NO electronic oil level checking on the DIC.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
"I would check the filter --> it should look brand spankin' new."
Also" put a mark on it and see if it is still there after service?"
See, these kinds of comments are by people trying to be helpful but completely uninformed.
The filter in these cars is old school and resides inside of a plastic cannister. I doubt that anyone who was not interested in changing their oil would unscrew the housing and look for "newness" or a scribe mark on an oil filter completely immersed in oil.
I have no sage advice about catching crooks. The materials are worth close to $75. I guess there might be a strong temptation to cheat you.
It is unfortunate but the only real solution is DIY.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Almost a Member!

a car
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
The filter in these cars is old school and resides inside of a plastic cannister. I doubt that anyone who was not interested in changing their oil would unscrew the housing and look for "newness" or a scribe mark on an oil filter completely immersed in oil.
But, those are the choices one has to make if they suspect unreliable service.
Whether or not someone thinks it's a worthwhile exercise is up to that person.

G.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by TheRealG
But, those are the choices one has to make if they suspect unreliable service.
Whether or not someone thinks it's a worthwhile exercise is up to that person.

G.
A pretty dense answer. The procedure you have proposed is impossible. "Impossible" and "not worthwhile" are obviously the same thing.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You should understand that this is the 21st century and your car is VERY sophisticated and complicated.

Your FIRST task in finding and independent mechanic is to verify whether s/he has received Mercedes factory training and has available at the shop a subscription to WIS.

Even for an oil change.

A mechanic with this much investment in his/her business should easily be reliable.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM

2007 E350
What's WIS?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM

a g
Originally Posted by vettdvr
It is unfortunate but there are shops that don't always do the right thing. Oil change. sure we have oil and filters for your car?

But does it meet 229.51 and is it the fleece long life filter. Or is it the bulk 10w30 that most cars use with cheapO filter.

Also they always want to look at everthing under the hood for sales opportunity even when you tell them "DON'T open it" they still do.

SO yes I am cautious. They have to EARN my confidence. You ask how they do that. When they point out an issue and show me the problem. This is how you begin to gain confidence. When they tell you to buy a new aircleaner when the one you have has only 3000 miles,, that's another story.

There are shops that are straight up. But before I would let non MB shop do mine I would ask about the oil they would use. If it doesn't meet specs don't let the door hit you in the A@#$# on the way out.

The 'asking them not to open the hood' is irrelevant to the discussion, but you are well within your right to deny any offered services. And on the other end the filter used will be Mercedes specific, at least at a quality shop as the simple reason that not many (if any) other canister filters fit the car.

What's WIS?
Its basically a Mercedes Benz service manual.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 PM

2005 E500
Look at your local MB dealer website, sometimes they have specials for oil changes. I found one near me for $59.99 but they don't reset the oil light..do that yourself..

http://www.mbofwalnutcreek.com/specials/service.htm
Old 04-24-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Originally Posted by n0n0tme
Look at your local MB dealer website, sometimes they have specials for oil changes. I found one near me for $59.99 but they don't reset the oil light..do that yourself..

MB of WC has gone WAY downhill since purchased from Stead if they won't reset the service indicator......I have a feeling they just overlooked it.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 PM

E 500 4matic, MINI John Cooper Works
OK guys - call me a skeptic but do you honestly think a MB factory dealership would be a party to that? In my small town of Spokane MB just spent 10MM bucks building a new shop - do you honestly think they'd cheat you on an oil change?

Wow - you guys are really skeptical and I'm naive I guess - I am way too trusting - never even considered the fact that they wouldn't put in new oil and a filter - for what end? who would gain ? who would profit? who would take part in that scheme? the tech? the service manager? the service writer? all to share the 100 bucks? I doubt it -Maybe I'm just too trusting and will regret it in the end but so far I've gotten through life ok

Steve
Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by n0n0tme

It is interesting. The dealer I change oil doesn't reset the reminder either. They told me that it is against law, unless they do complete A or B service whatever computer tells. However they are kind enough that can do it for free, like I just ask them.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 AM

2005 E500
Smile

Originally Posted by Dema
It is interesting. The dealer I change oil doesn't reset the reminder either. They told me that it is against law, unless they do complete A or B service whatever computer tells. However they are kind enough that can do it for free, like I just ask them.
I don't think it agaist the law to reset the service light. Service A or B is not just an oil change they also do other checks(not really sure on what the other service is),that's why the dealer don't reset the light. If you want Service A or B it will cost more(They reset the service indicator). An oil change at the dealer is exactly what it is, an oil change not Service A or B.