E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help! Collect sales tax for CA when buying in NY???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Collect sales tax for CA when buying in NY???

Hi,

Does anyone know if I am buying a car from NY state and ship it to California. The dealer in NY told me that they have to collect the sales tax and registration up front and then will mail the licnese plate to me. When the car arrive in Californa, i just need to drive the car to DMV for VIN vertification and show them the proof of receipt I paid for sales tax and registartion at NY dealer. Is it suppose to work this way. I just want to make sure that I will not be double tax when I registered the car in California.

Anyone done that before?

Thanks in advance!
Mugen
Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM

1987 190E 2.3-16V
Originally Posted by us_matrix
Hi,

Does anyone know if I am buying a car from NY state and ship it to California. The dealer in NY told me that they have to collect the sales tax and registration up front and then will mail the licnese plate to me. When the car arrive in Californa, i just need to drive the car to DMV for VIN vertification and show them the proof of receipt I paid for sales tax and registartion at NY dealer. Is it suppose to work this way. I just want to make sure that I will not be double tax when I registered the car in California.

Anyone done that before?

Thanks in advance!
Mugen
As a car dealer, they are obligated to collect from you the sales tax and registration. The sales tax is based on where you live and not where you purchase the car. The registration is what California charges. They are merely collecting these on behalf of the State of California.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorW...esidentForm.do

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/email/esw_vr.html
Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
^ true, in addition, you will be (or SHOULD be) charged sales tax depending on the zip code you are registering the car, different counties/cities have different rates. I know that in San Diego there are cities which charge an additional 1% sales tax because of bonds and voter approved initiatives. I am just glad I don't live there.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks and by all that mean.... I will be ok when I bring the car in to California for regisation and they will wavie my sales tax and registartion fee since NY state already collect it............ right?

Originally Posted by MBZ16V
As a car dealer, they are obligated to collect from you the sales tax and registration. The sales tax is based on where you live and not where you purchase the car. The registration is what California charges. They are merely collecting these on behalf of the State of California.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:48 PM

1987 190E 2.3-16V
Thanks and by all that mean.... I will be ok when I bring the car in to California for regisation and they will wavie my sales tax and registartion fee since NY state already collect it............ right?
They won't waive it as it is already paid. You won't need to pay it again, if that is your question. NY DMV will forward payment to CA DMV. CA DMV will need to physically see the vehicle for a VIN verification.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Does anybody know what the sales tax is in Riverside county?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:23 PM

E430 (W210) ; E420 (W124) ; S 500 (W140) ; C230 (W202)
You are OK for the taxes, nothing to worry about. It is much worst if you buy a car in CA and want to register the car in other state. Perhaps you wondering why?
If you buy a car in CA and would like to fly and drive, the CA law require that you pay CA taxes to have a temporary license so you can drive. The catch here is that in my state the tax is: 6.8 % and in CA around 8 %. But once when I am home they don't give you a refund So the CA state pocket my 1.2%
Anyway enjoy the car.

Last edited by Pavka007; 04-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
I just went through this when I bought a car in VA but registered it in CT. It worked exactly as the dealer described however the dealer gave me the option to go and register it myself if I wanted to. In hindsight I wished I had registered it myself because I had to go to DMV anyway to get the VIN verification. I could have just taken care of it myself.

If you have any concerns over whether the dealership is viable I'd also say use a credit card to pay for the sales tax. They will be sitting on your $ until the car is actually registered and your home state tax is paid. Probably wouldn't want to hear that the dealer went bankrupt before they registered your car but they had your tax payment.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:33 PM

What about registration fee? Did they collect registartion fee and order the license plate for you? If that's the case, how do you show that to your local DMV before the license plate arrived?

Originally Posted by FT Benz
I just went through this when I bought a car in VA but registered it in CT. It worked exactly as the dealer described however the dealer gave me the option to go and register it myself if I wanted to. In hindsight I wished I had registered it myself because I had to go to DMV anyway to get the VIN verification. I could have just taken care of it myself.

If you have any concerns over whether the dealership is viable I'd also say use a credit card to pay for the sales tax. They will be sitting on your $ until the car is actually registered and your home state tax is paid. Probably wouldn't want to hear that the dealer went bankrupt before they registered your car but they had your tax payment.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
What about registration fee? Did they collect registartion fee and order the license plate for you? If that's the case, how do you show that to your local DMV before the license plate arrived?

They collected reg, title and tax. They didn't ask me for anything at DMV...... only thing they do at DMV is a guy in uniform comes out, writes down your VIN on a state form, stamps it and hands it to you. You then have to send the form back to the dealer and a few weeks later my plates and reg sticker arrived back from the dealer.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 PM

You have any paper work to proof that was already collected from other state?
Originally Posted by FT Benz
They collected reg, title and tax. They didn't ask me for anything at DMV...... only thing they do at DMV is a guy in uniform comes out, writes down your VIN on a state form, stamps it and hands it to you. You then have to send the form back to the dealer and a few weeks later my plates and reg sticker arrived back from the dealer.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:47 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
You have any paper work to proof that was already collected from other state?
I just had a reciept from the dealership (which is why I suggest use a credit card). DMV didn't ask me for anything. The dealer should give you temp plates which you will be driving around with for a little while.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I bought a car out of state & the Dealer registered it for me in my state (NY). I have also bought a car here in NY & had it registered at my other home in another state. Both times the sales tax was collected & remitted to the state that the car was being registered in for me by the Selling dealer. You get a FedEx envelope in less than 30 days with your license plate & registration. You drive off the lot with a paper Temporary registration & Plate which expires in 30 Days or so.

Actually, dealers use a service company to handle these transactions for you since you and they can't travel to the approprate DMV office. In NY many dealers use this outfit: http://onthespotdmv.com/

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 04-30-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 SL550, 2007 CLS63, 2004 X5
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
Does anybody know what the sales tax is in Riverside county?
I believe it is 8.75%. LA just increased to 9.25% and I think Riverside County is a half point lower than LA