E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Extended Warranty Information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 E350
Extended Warranty Information

In the next few days, we'll be taking delivery of a new '09 E350. We're very excited. We asked about the cost of the extended warranty, and I was surprised to learn that it costs a little over $5k to extend the factory warranty for an additional 3 years or 50k miles.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with repsect to whether these prices are negotiable, or any other insights you can offer. My impression is that this is very expensive, and that short of a transmission blowing or something very major, it is not worth it. Am I wrong? Thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GT3, GTR, 570S
not sure whether or not extended warranties are worth it but i can tell you that yes, the prices are negotiable. i think they have about 15-20% to play with. thats what i have been quoted anyway. im still trying to figure out which is correct on the terms of the warranty. whether it is truly a 7/100, whichever come first warranty, or a 3/50 extension. there is a difference. ive been told different thing by different finance managers.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I'm willing to bet that whatever price is first quoted to you is twice what it costs them to buy it from MBUSA. (They are entitled to make a profit on everything sold in the store, however.) They will make it seem like the price is fixed by MBUSA, and that you are dealing with MBUSA but it is not. It is an accessory pure & simple.

I personally would not have a 211 without an extended service agreement. These cars are horrifically expensive to repair, and are not the least complicated products on the market. In my mind, having an MB service agreement makes the car "as worry free as a Lexus", with all the traditional MB "Drive Characteristics and Qualities."

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-29-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Search. There is a warranty thread w/ a recommendation to call Lisa at MB of Chico.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 PM

09 E350
Originally Posted by Vik888
Search. There is a warranty thread w/ a recommendation to call Lisa at MB of Chico.
Thank you. I discovered that thread. I wanted to do some preliminary research to arm myself prior to calling.

Last edited by maryjcl; 07-29-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by maryjcl
Thank you. I discovered that thread. I wanted to do some preliminary research to arm myself prior to calling.

You're not going to find other people who can sell you genuine MB Extended Warranties for much cheaper... she's already at the bottom MB dealers will go. You can try calling around to other dealers after you get her quote, and you'll find basically that either they'll:

1) Say NO,
2) Laugh at you,
3) Accuse you of making numbers up because those prices are impossible since the dealer isn't "making ANY money",
4) Price match to Lisa... but VERY RELUCTANTLY, and act as if they were doing you a favor.

While I was shopping for MB Extended Warranties, I've encountered all 4 reactions ad different dealers. Needless to say, I bought both of my MB Extended Warranties from Lisa.

Last edited by chokaay; 07-29-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:31 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
EXTENDED WARRANTY.

In the next few days, we'll be taking delivery of a new '09 E350. We're very excited. We asked about the cost of the extended warranty, and I was surprised to learn that it costs a little over $5k to extend the factory warranty for an additional 3 years or 50k miles.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with repsect to whether these prices are negotiable, or any other insights you can offer. My impression is that this is very expensive, and that short of a transmission blowing or something very major, it is not worth it. Am I wrong? Thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
GEICO has an extended warranty for about $100.00 per year with about a $300.00 deductible the price increase about 5 or 10% per year. You must be a policyholder during the entire period of coverage. The warrant is transferable to another GEICO policyholder. GEICO send out a representative on all major repair and must have prior approval on all repairs.

The MB warranty price has jumped on my E500 2003 it was about $1,800.00.

I was surprise on my E550 2009 when I was quoted over $5000.00 and you must buy the warranty within the first thirty days or there is a 15% surcharge. I shopped around and finally bought my warranty from an MB in Colorado Springs. I spoke to the Finance Manager. I also spoke to Lisa she has some lower prices on a warranty through Chrysler at the time.

Make sure you get a quote in written and the warranty reads seven years and 100,000 miles. I dealer back East tried to tell me a one year warranty and 100,000 miles for $3,800.00. She said that I told her I was a mileage driver. I had to contact MB to get a full refund from the dealer.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Check this month's Car and Driver magazine

They talk about used W211's as good used car buys. The list for a 2 year extended MB warranty for a W211 is just under $2,000. I think a 1 year was ~$1400. Dealer cost on the 2 year is just under $1200 (trust me, I know).

Now the big question, when you were quoted that number, what calibre hand gun was the dealer holding? It is obvious he was trying to commit a crime on your bank account.

- nopcbs

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM

2009 E350
What's the difference between 7/100 vs 3/50 on top of standard 4/50 warranty? I just purchased a 2009 E350 and all quotes have been 7/100. I haven't heard 3/50 in addition to my factory warranty.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:48 AM

E350
Originally Posted by sunnySD
What's the difference between 7/100 vs 3/50 on top of standard 4/50 warranty? I just purchased a 2009 E350 and all quotes have been 7/100. I haven't heard 3/50 in addition to my factory warranty.

Someone mentioned that a couple years ago MB changed the way their Extended Warranties worked. Before the Extended Warranty didn't come into effect until the Factory Warranty was done (ie: after 4 Years -or- 50,000 Miles). Now, they just lump that into Extended Warranty description, so:

OLD 3/50 = NEW 7/100

There is no such thing as 3 Year/50K Miles MB Extended Warranty anymore since it's called something different (and processed a little differently too).
Old 08-06-2009, 02:08 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by nopcbs
They talk about used W211's as good used car buys. The list for a 2 year extended MB warranty for a W211 is just under $2,000. I think a 1 year was ~$1400. Dealer cost on the 2 year is just under $1200 (trust me, I know).

Now the big question, when you were quoted that number, what calibre hand gun was the dealer holding? It is obvious he was trying to commit a crime on your bank account.

- nopcbs
I am also looking at an extended warranty (bought a e350 sport a week ago). If you were me, how would you go about it at this point?

In your note above, you say dealer cost is under 1200..is that for the 1yr (1400) or the 2yr (2000). I am trying to figure out what the margin is so I can counter offer w/o being an A$$
Old 08-06-2009, 02:47 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Maryjcl,

I am looking for the same warranties. Maybe we can pool our collective dollars and strike a better bargain. What do you think?

PM me if you want
Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM

09 E350
Sure, I'll shoot you a PM.

Frankly, I have some concerns that I'll share with you privately.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:05 PM

E350
Originally Posted by werewolf34
I am also looking at an extended warranty (bought a e350 sport a week ago). If you were me, how would you go about it at this point?

In your note above, you say dealer cost is under 1200..is that for the 1yr (1400) or the 2yr (2000). I am trying to figure out what the margin is so I can counter offer w/o being an A$$

Like I've said before, Contact "Lisa" to buy the cheapest Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty! No dealer in the country will beat her price on 100% GENUINE MERCEDES-BENZ EXTENDED WARRANTIES (by much if at all... although there are a few that are willing to match it).

That is because apparently Lisa's price is pretty much the bare minimum that dealers are willing to go (ie: as close to cost as dealers will go). Any lower, and the dealer will make absolutely $0 or take a loss on the warranty sale (which NO dealer is willing to do on a warranty sale alone, since unlike physical vehicles that get outdated with time, warranties aren't a physical asset that takes up space, and aren't discontinued and replaced every year).

The only way a dealer MAY beat Lisa's price is if they want to get rid of a car, and offer to throw in the warranty for "free" (while jacking up the car's price a few thousand dollars). Like plenty of MB salesmen and managers told me: "We're not in the business of losing money. All of these discounts come from the same 'bucket', and you can't combine them all (ie: 0.9% APR from one dealer, $1,000 off coupon from another dealer, rock bottom lowest quote from a 3rd dealer, an offer for FREE extended warranty from a 4th, etc). Once you hit the bottom, any further discounts will increase the price of something else to offset the loss (ie: decrease the APR from 1.9% to 0.9%, and the price of the car increases by $2,000)."

EDIT: Now as far as 3rd-party/generic warranties are concerned, I don't know how Lisa's pricing is on those since I'm not interested on those. But plenty of people on and off this board have bought GENUINE MB Extended Warranties from Lisa before, and can vouch for her price on them.

Last edited by chokaay; 08-06-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 PM

2009 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by chokaay
Like I've said before, Contact "Lisa" to buy the cheapest Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty! No dealer in the country will beat her price (by much if at all... although there are a few that are willing to match it).

That is because apparently Lisa's price is pretty much the bare minimum that dealers are willing to go (ie: as close to cost as dealers will go). Any lower, and the dealer will take a loss on the warranty sale (which NO dealer is willing to do on a warranty sale alone, since unlike physical vehicles that get outdated with time, warranties aren't a physical asset that takes up space, and aren't discontinued and replaced every year).

The only way a dealer MAY beat Lisa's price is if they want to get rid of a car, and offer to throw in the warranty for "free" (while jacking up the car's price a few thousand dollars). Like plenty of MB salesmen and managers told me: "We're not in the business of losing money. All of these discounts come from the same 'bucket', and you can't have all of them (ie: 0.9% APR from one dealer, $1,000 off coupon from another dealer, rock bottom lowest quote from a 3rd dealer, an offer for FREE extended warranty from a 4th, etc). Once you hit the bottom, any further discounts will increase the price of something else to offset the loss (ie: decrease the APR from 1.9% to 0.9%, and the price of the car increases by $2,000)."
She is not responsive.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 PM

09 E350
Chokaay is the most satisfied customer I've ever seen. He must really love his car and his warranty.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:17 PM

E350
Originally Posted by werewolf34
She is not responsive.

Yeah, she can be very hard to get a hold of sometimes.

Like the thread said, try calling her # again if you don't get a response, and DON'T LEAVE VOICEMAILS since she doesn't answer them. You just have to call her back (I think I included tips in the thread on what time she's least busy so the most likely to answer the phone).

With e-mails, she may have got flooded with everyone looking for MB Extended Warranties for their new E350, E550, or E63 AMG they got at bargain prices. If she doesn't reply in a few days, try giving her a call or e-mail her again. You have 30 days from vehicle purchase date to add the MB Extended Warranty WITHOUT a surcharge, so you've got time...
Old 08-06-2009, 03:22 PM

E350
Chokaay is the most satisfied customer I've ever seen. He must really love his car and his warranty.

Car = YES! (Although part of me wishes I got it for as cheap as some other people recently! )

Warranty = Maybe... haven't needed to use it yet, so we'll see. (I do wish the price was cheaper, but of course when you purchase a vehicle worth $60K, you should expect for everything to be more "expensive"... at least compared to vehicles that cost less. IMHO, if I couldn't afford the more expensive expenses, then I should have bought a cheaper car. )
Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E350 4matic- winter edition
So I talked to the dealer that I purchased my used 07 E350 from about extended warranty- this is what he had to say.

First and foremost I have the Base CPO which gives me an additional year on top of the factory warranty. The car was put into service by the original owner in March 14 2007. As such factory warranty runs out 5years or 100k after this which puts me at March 14 2012 or 100k- which ever comes first.

He said I can purchase the extended warranty at any time before March 14 2012 when the factory warranty runs out.

He went on further and said that the extended warranty makes sense only if I am not driving a bunch of miles annually because if I am and I hit the 100k before 2012 then it makes no sense to purchase it.

By the way the 2 year plan costs $1925 + tax and I currently have 37K on the car.

Here are my questions for the group.

• Does any of this extended warranty matter after you hit 100K or is it pointless once you cross this magic mileage?

• Is it worth buying this plan if I am going to be driving about 18K -20K a year?

• Is the dealer making any sense?

• How much is Lisa’s plan?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM

E350
Originally Posted by adisco93
Here are my questions for the group.

• Does any of this extended warranty matter after you hit 100K or is it pointless once you cross this magic mileage?
Once you hit 100K miles, your warranty is gone. Once you hit 3/14/12, your warranty is gone. Whichever comes first will make your current warranty expire.

• Is it worth buying this plan if I am going to be driving about 18K -20K a year?
It's really up to you. At your current rate of driving, that would mean you would cross 100K miles in 3.15-3.5 years from now (which is sometime towards the end of year 2012 or beginning half of year 2013). That's a very long time to wait still. If there's no penalty or surcharge for adding the warranty later, then I'd probably wait and think about it some more (since it seems like you'll run into the expiration date first before the milage limitation... but a lot of things can change in 3-4 years). Since MB doesn't have any extended warranties for vehicles past 100K, you're probably looking to add a 3rd-party/generic warranty to your vehicle, and I honestly don't know how those are priced or if they're even worth it. (But do lots and lots of research BEFORE you buy one!)

• Is the dealer making any sense?
I would say "yes". You purchased a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, which has a different warranty than if you purchased a Brand New MB from the dealer, but the principles are the same. The warranty will last until it either hits: A) the Expiration Date, or B) the Milage Limit (whichever comes first). Since MB Extended Warranties top out at 100K miles, it makes no sense to extend your warranty if you'll hit the milage limit before the expiration date because there's no way to extend that milage limit with a MB Extended Warranty. However, if you're going to hit the expiration date BEFORE your milage limit, THEN it may make sense to purchase a MB Extended Warranty to extend the time your car is under MB Warranty until you hit the milage limit.

• How much is Lisa’s plan?
I don't know, you'll have to ask Lisa.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E350 4matic- winter edition
Thanks for the response!