E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New owner: 2009 Grey e350 sport - Tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E350 Sport
New owner: 2009 Grey e350 sport - Tips?

My wife and I took deliver of a 2009 Mercedes e350 Sport yesterday.

We couldn't be happier. Very impressed with the road manners, build quality and safety features.

I am looking for advice as to what to do now. We got a bunch of add-on / warranty options from the dealership finance manager but declined to 'sign up' right away.

If you could go back in time to when you got the car new,
1) would you get the 7yr/100k mile extended warranty?
2) paint protection - like a clear coat?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Read the manuals and enjoy the car.

Unless you KNOW you'll keep the car beyond the warranty -- don't buy anything else. Add-ons are a great source of dealer profit.

Originally Posted by werewolf34

We couldn't be happier. Very impressed with the road manners, build quality and safety features.

I am looking for advice as to what to do now. We got a bunch of add-on / warranty options from the dealership finance manager but declined to 'sign up' right away.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by werewolf34

1) YES, I would get this if I was going to keep the car long-term... but ONLY FROM LISA (see this thread). Even IF you're unsure whether you're going to keep this car long-term or not, I'd still get it within 30-days of your purchase (to save on the surcharge), and then cancel it when you sell the car (or something worse happens to the car) for a refund (read the thread I linked for refund policy).

2) I didn't do this. Your vehicle already has clear coat on it. I assume this is just in case you chip or scratch your paint and need to repaint it. If that happens, I'd probably go through my auto insurance if it's severe enough (or pay out of pocket if it's less than my deductable).
Old 08-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by chokaay
1) YES, I would get this if I was going to keep the car long-term... but ONLY FROM LISA (see this thread). Even IF you're unsure whether you're going to keep this car long-term or not, I'd still get it within 30-days of your purchase (to save on the surcharge), and then cancel it when you sell the car (or something worse happens to the car) for a refund (read the thread I linked for refund policy).
Seems like good advice Chokaay. If the extension can be cancelled for a refund, then the downside is only the opportunity cost of paying for it until you cancel.

Smart.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:44 PM

2007 E350 4MATIC
New Owner - Certified E350 Sport Package (19k miles)

Hi All -
Sorry to post in this thread but I am completely new to this posting stuff.

And noticed there was another person who purchased their first MB E350. Frankly not sure how to start a new thread, but think our topic is pretty similar.

I have spent a lot of time researching these MB's. Probably should have done my homework a little better before buying. Seems there are always a lot of complaints about E-series. I am curious - do most people here like or dislike their E-classes? Do they last a long time? Dealer told me there are MB on road with 200, 300, 400k miles on them. But I get it with the dealers - they wanna sell cars.

So far I have loved the way it drives but admittedly have always owned GM products. I purchased the extended warranty from dealer for that peace of mind as it was a previously owned vehicle. But I do see a lot of threads about reliability, tire wear (have the Michelin's on mine), etc.

Would appreciate any frank comments people have. I think I got pretty good deal ($35k - it is fully loaded, mint condition). I mean if I compare to buying new. But wondering if I should sell now before trouble later.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:39 PM

2009 E350 Blk w/ AMG Pkg& 2002 ML500 Slvr w/ Sport Package
Originally Posted by NickR41
Hi All -

And noticed there was another person who purchased their first MB E350. Frankly not sure how to start a new thread, but think our topic is pretty similar.

I have spent a lot of time researching these MB's. Probably should have done my homework a little better before buying. Seems there are always a lot of complaints about E-series. I am curious - do most people here like or dislike their E-classes? Do they last a long time? Dealer told me there are MB on road with 200, 300, 400k miles on them. But I get it with the dealers - they wanna sell cars.

So far I have loved the way it drives but admittedly have always owned GM products. I purchased the extended warranty from dealer for that peace of mind as it was a previously owned vehicle. But I do see a lot of threads about reliability, tire wear (have the Michelin's on mine), etc.

Would appreciate any frank comments people have. I think I got pretty good deal ($35k - it is fully loaded, mint condition). I mean if I compare to buying new. But wondering if I should sell now before trouble later.

Thanks!
Car trouble is inevitable. There is no bullet proof car. Even if you are willing to be meticulous with your car, problems occur without your control. However, there are some breaks that are natural and some that are not. Its your decision if you are going to be tolerable with the problems that are annoying.

MB, like the few highly reliable cars, is a solid choice no matter what. Now, I think your question might be valid if you are buying something with a bad reputation or a building brand name (i.e. Alfa Romero, Land Rover and etc...). Or a building MB model, like a ML built in the USA.

Now my experiences with MB has been and continuing to be a great experience. I have a ML500 2002 with a sport package. Yes, I had some rocky moments, but, just like any other solid relationships, you will have your moments. BTW, I have about 150K and running beautifully. I just bought a 2009 E350 with AMG package. LOVE it and planning to drive it to the ground. My parents have a 250SL 1967 with 310K miles on it and driving impeccable and I am planning to inherit it and driving it.

Do yourself a favor and join the family. If you are planning in selling your call in 5 years when your car loan and/or warranty is up, then, MB is not the ideal choice. One buys MB because the its rich history and continuing proving to drive the long distance.

Yes, there will be problems. Again, need to look at the long term.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:10 PM

It's actually about sample bias. Online fora attract people who are enthusiasts or are having trouble and seek answers -- or just want to ventilate. I think you'll find more troubles in any online forum -- as a percentage -- than in the general population of owners of any marque.

Having said that, all machines wear, require maintenance, and occasionally break. Mercedes break less often than almost anything else on the road. One of my relatives had a nice and expensive Cadillac. In two year of ownership of that Cadillac (once out of warranty), they spent more on that car than I did on my last six Benzes.

Hi All -

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Hi All -

Thanks!

From what I've gathered, MB from around late 1990's-2006 has been more problematic than "usual" for a number of reasons (partly because of Chrysler), and it is from this period that MB earned the "reputation" of being "unreliable" (nevermind the fact that for decades before this period MB's were built like a "rock").

From 2007-2009 MB's quality-of-work and reliability improved by leaps-and-bounds for many reasons (one was dumping Chrysler, and another was a change-up in management). In fact, in a very popular and highly regarded survey/study regarding quality & reliability, MB went from non-existant (I think from pre-2007), to around #28 or something (2007), to around #14 or so (2008), to #6 (2009). This study/survey also pitted Lexus at #1 most of the time, only dethroned by Hyundai by one or two years (which was reflected in all the other major national surveys/studies as well). But you don't have to believe 3rd-party independent published results... just browse or search the W211 forum! You will notice that the vast majority of posts about problems (especially major problems) are from pre-2007 vehicles. There may be a few 2007 vehicles that have major problems. I don't remember any off-hand from 2008 vehicles. And I didn't notice any from 2009 vehicles (even though some owners have been driving 2009 vehicles for over a year).

In my own experience, I've owned a 2002 C240 Sedan and a 2003 C230 Kompressor Coupe. Both vehicles in general have been pretty problem free (and remember that these vehicles were build in the middle of the WORST "quality" time period in MB's history).

The C240 Sedan had a problem with the turn signal bulbs prematurely burning out (like after a couple months) due to corroded contacts... which was permanently fixed a year later when MB issued a recall/warranty fix notice on the wire harness to both the turn signals and brake lights. I paid $0 for all repairs. The C240 also had a problem with the insulation under the rear seat sagging and hitting the drive train (making a put-put-put sound when driving), but that was fixed under warranty as well. $0 paid. The driver side window wouldn't roll up one day after 5 years of use, so it was fixed under warranty. $0 paid. The engine also had to have spark plug cabling changed as they wore out/shorted, so that was the reason for some visits to the service center (which sucked because MB couldn't replace them all at once, it had to be as the cables wore/shorted out). $0 paid. A few spark plugs also had to be changed due to wear (which was not covered under warranty since it's a wear-and-tear item). I forgot how much I paid though... maybe a couple hundred (including labor). The right strut or suspension had some sqeaking noise at around 70K miles, so it was replaced under warranty. $0 paid. The C240 also had a problem with the freon leaking out of the AC system after 8 years of use, but I was told that was normal and it was refilled for $75 (with dye added into the system to detect leaks if there is one in the future). Other than that, I can't remember anything else I had to pay for except for the regular annual services (A & B), as well as brakes, rotors, tires, and a new battery when they wore out.

The C230 Kompressor had fewer problems. The only things I remember going wrong were the windows and/or sunroof would sometimes go out-of-sync (but a MB tech showed me how to resync them on my own for free). The driver side window wouldn't roll up one day either after a few years of use, so it was fixed under warranty. $0 paid. Other than that, I can't remember anything else I had to pay for except for the regular annual services (A & B), as well as brakes, rotors, and tires when they wore out.

Hopefully that gives you a snap shot as to what to expect. Keep in mind that these 2 examples I gave you were cars made in the WORST "quality" time period of MB's history... so you probably can expect better "reliability" than this from your 2009 E-Class. I know I do from mine!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Mercedes are quite reliable cars; it is why people choose Mercedes over other cars. For example, you can take Lexus. After couple years of ownership your Lexus will look like 10 years old car, however Mercedes will look like a brand new even after 10 years. E class is the best money value Mercedes. It is spacious, luxury, powerful and the best looking.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Buy the 7 yr / 100k warranty if you are going to keep it long.

I bought mine CPO and the transmission went out due to glycol contamination along with other stuff. Starmark covered it. I wish I bought the extra year since I now have the "gas tank problem" where when the gas is full, it emits a smell from drivers rear wheel area.

However, yours is an 09 and is pretty much bulletproof (well not literally). The 07+ cars are way better also since you don't have SBC brakes.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM

2011e350 coupe
New E350 Amg coupe

I,m new to Mercedes and so far love it but would like to look into having it chipped! wish I could say it was 35 k but live in Canada and paid double! still inheavan though!