E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Inadvertent Air Bag Deployment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Inadvertent Air Bag Deployment

While driving on the interstate, a dump truck merged into traffic in front of me spreading small rock sized debris everywhere. I avoided quarter size rocks by driving slightly onto the shoulder where I experienced the "keep on the road" bumps which lasted for about 2 seconds and then BAM!, the driver side curtain airbags deployed. I became immediately disoriented as to the nature of the events. I pulled over and examined any damage to the exterior. There was none other than some windshield dings and hood chips to the paint. I was able to drive about one mile home and contacted my insurance company. I did not hit anything nor did anything other than small rocks hit my car. After bringing it to the collision center and contacting the insurance company,they are denying claim responsibility because of no damage to the exterior other than cosmetic. However, they will fix the windshield and paint chips. That's great, but am I to use the curtain, seat, and door air bags as a sun block and seat comfort pillows?

Mercedes is going to look at it today, but I feel confident they will try to crab out of this as well. Has anyone experienced this before? If so what action should I take to get the ball rolling.

Mercedes 2003 E500

Last edited by jgiavot; 08-05-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM

W208 CLK 55 AMG
If there is no damage to the car then it is a fault. I'm sure they will cover this.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM

2003 E500
2003 E500

Thank you I sure hope so. I got a quote for 5k
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Its definitely the fault of the car. I don't blame your insurance for not covering it.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
Best of luck to you on this, if MB doesn't fess up get a lawyer and call the consumer protection agency....
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
I remember this being a topic of issue before. search the forum. I think the same thing happened to a fellow member where the side curtain deployed when she pulled to the shoulder. This may be a safety issue that MB should look into.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 PM

2003 E500
So far, Mercedes is saying that the computer recorded 1 hour additional driving after the bags deployed!!! Impossible! I live 1 mile from where it occurred and surely would not be cruising around with air bags hanging down, not to mention the anxiety after the bags deployed on the interstate while driving. Yea, this makes for a casual drive around town.
Anyway, they also said the 2 rear struts are leaking and the front driver airmatic strut may need a change. Mercedes told the insurance company I may have hit a pothole because of the rear strut leaks????!!!! Still in limbo.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
that's just wrong. Even if you hit a pothole, that should not cause AIRBAGS to deploy - those are for serious collisions! Agree MB needs to own up and make the repairs. From the posts on here (I am a new MB owner), it seems like every time a MB owner has a significant issue, the big wigs at MB dont seem to ever want to own up or help. Crossing my fingers I have no major issues with mine as they are setting a bad precedent.

Anyone out there actually had a good experience with major faults such as this to help ease my stomach?

Hope things work out for you jgiavot
Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 AM

2003 E500
After over one month in the shop, I finally got my car back. However, the car was returned with some related and unrelated issues. I went back to the "scene of the crime" and I did hit a pothole. To my surprise, the hole was freshly patched probably one or two days after I hit it. I assume the bags deployed simultaneously with the impact, so I did not hear or feel the hole. I copied my email so all those that were kind enough to reply can read what I sent the insurance company.

Original Email:

I spoke to the adjuster that offered a second opinion, and his response was no revelation. However, Mercedes is saying something different. They are saying the undercarriage has noticeable scrapes that indicate a "bottomed out" event.

I am very agitated over this situation. I have a car with a polished exterior (which was not what I initially took it in for repair) and deployed air bags. $8000 later and still I am unable to drive car. If the repairs that I sent the car in for were completed, it would have cost $5000. However most of all, it would be functional.

I understand and respect the perspective of Hanover's response regarding whats at fault. However, as the insured, I feel the entire claim process was a complete waste of time, resources, and cost over-runs that were unnecessary and have now sent me back to square one, the AirBag issue. How do you justify the costs? Who does Hanover's finances? It makes No sense.

I am appreciative of your kindness and understanding with this matter. I mean no disrespect to you, however I feel money was spent to repair non-functional aspects of the car rendering the vehicle useless. If you would be so kind as to provide me with your supervisor or someone within your organization that has the ability to investigate this claim further. If this cannot be accomplished, my only alternative is to seek legal counsel.

Interior Issues:

1) The A/C vent mounted on the driver-side wall between the front & rear compartments just below the seat belt is no longer functioning. They would have had to take this section apart to repair the headliner. It is probably disconnected.

2) The rear interior driver-side door handle is not attached to the door mechanism. It just flops around and you cannot exit the car. ''

3) The interior, was absolutely disgusting to say the least. The NEW headliner looked like police were dusting for fingerprints. I asked Team Collision if anyone thought of cleaning it, and the response was that Mercedes did it. Not the right answer. Team Collision oversaw the vehicle repairs, therefore my impression is that they give it an inspection prior tot the customer picking up the car. Wouldn't you agree?

4) The latch on the storage compartment attached to the driver-side seat has been broken off and you cannot access the contents.

These issues were functioning prior to the incident.

---------

Exterior & Mechanical Issues:

1) History has shown me that whenever work is done that effects the electronic system and/or items that are monitored by the on-board computer system, the computer has to be reset. I know when this needs attention because certain aspects of the car do not function as they should. Example, the a/c will not cool as designed, the suspension will not react correctly to certain environments, etc.

2) While braking on the interstate, the car makes a fast pulsing vibration. This was not evident prior to the incident.

3) The Airmatic suspension is not remaining in its appropriate setting, also not evident prior to the incident.

4) The top of the trunk looks like someone ran a rotating buffer over the middle of it except used sandpaper instead of paste. Its visible as a 3 foot long by about 3 inches wide all the way across the trunk.

5) When turning the front wheels, I now hear a slight grinding. Never heard that before as well.

I am combing through the repair invoice to verify the parts charged were indeed replaced. I am appalled at the expense accumulated and the lack of attention given to ensure the repairs were done. The cost of the repairs almost exceeded the book value of the car by only a few hundred dollars. Please advise me of a direction to get this rectified. I contacted Team Collision and was told to contact you for direction.

END RESULT: I Fixed the issues via Google!!!! Insurance Company has not replied to the follow-up repairs.!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 AM

2003 E500
FOR EVERYONE THAT REPLIED TO MY QUESTIONS AND INQUIRES, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH. ITS NICE TO KNOW GENUINE PEOPLE ARE OUT THERE THAT CAN PROVIDE CONSTRUCTIVE INFORMATION TO THOSE THAT ARE IN NEED. I am very appreciative!!!
Jeff