E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Total Brake Failure on 2004 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55
Total Brake Failure on 2004 E320

My sister-in-law was driving to work last week and had total brake failure on her 2003 E320. I know of this forum (I have a 2000 E55).

I saw the recall notices that are stickied at the top of this forum and I emailed her the info to go over with her dealer.

Is there anything else that I should have her do?

Has anyone had the problem recur after having the fixes done?

Understandably, she is totally paranoid about driving the car.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,433 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by mvanmeter
Have her request a VMI to confirm all (not just SBC) recalls and service campaigns were completed. If they diagnose hydraulic pump failure it is covered by 10-year/unlimited mileage extended warranty and replacement should be cost free.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM

'13 E550 W4
Along with the SBC system, please also have them check both batteries and Battery Control Module (BCM).
Old 08-18-2009, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
My sister-in-law was driving to work last week and had total brake failure on her 2003 E320. I know of this forum (I have a 2000 E55).

I saw the recall notices that are stickied at the top of this forum and I emailed her the info to go over with her dealer.

I'm sorry to hear that. She has every right to be paranoid as I personally am very paranoid about the SBC system failing. I always recommend someone to get a non-SBC equipped car (07+ E, CLS, SL however the AMG E and CLS still have them, don't know about SL). I've had the pump changed once already and had the dampers put in. The system is soooo annoying, I'm so glad they've almost gotten rid of it. I'm sure (well at least I hope) the new E63 won't have the SBC braking system.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette

If you are getting the RED WARNIING in the FSS stating stop the car. GET A TOW TRUCK DON'T DRIVE IT!

I had the same issue and all the concerns on this braking system are valid. I will NEVER buy another car with electronic brakes. EVER
Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Anybody have any possible idea why they chose to leave it in the E63s after the '07 refresh? It may be a great concept, but the chance of undetectable deterioration of the system then complete failure of the system far outweighs any possible advantage of it being in the car.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
My sister-in-law was driving to work last week and had total brake failure on her 2003 E320..
WOW!!! so did she step on the brake, and the car just kept moving???? or just a warning on the dash? Is this a common problem on the w211... one of my boys just had his SBC replaced last week on his E500...
Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
What's really scary is how these cars (and other M-B's with the system) will be holding up when they get really old in regards to the SBC. I hope we won't start seeing trends of 10-15 year old M-B's slamming into things because they had Brake failure.

Indeed it's a great concept, and really a "Safety feature" to have them on the car when they're working, but if I ever get even one problem with them, this car is gone, I don't care how pretty or comfy she is.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is no need for the SBC since they gave the Pre-Safe system from the S and CL to the E class now as well (also other models too). Well at least it is 10 years the warranty on the pump and unlimited mileage.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Well at least it is 10 years the warranty on the pump and unlimited mileage.
A lot of good that will do if the car slams into something (or someone)...

So when one says "total brake failure", does that mean total SBC brake failure, and that the car works in a conventional braking way, w/o SBC, or do you really mean TOTAL brake failure, as in "press brake, car doesn't stop"...?

Tks.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 246 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
If SBC fails completely, the brakes would have less power than a traditional car with a booster failure only. There is a backup "main brake cylinder" but no booster at all and if I remember right, only front wheel brakes operate in this case. You have to step on the pedal. Fortunately I don't have experience on how it works (don't even have any SBC car any more, not that I would ever have been afraid of the SBC system failing as long as all the recall stuff had been done and the car is serviced properly).
Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It feels like a car without ABS brakes.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by gaazmon
It feels like a car without ABS brakes.
ok so its pretty much limp-able to the dealer?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 AM

'13 E550 W4
When mine went out, I stood on the brake pedal and no stopping power worth mentioning. Seriously, people say you are supposed to have "some" limited braking power like a car without ABS, but in my case there was none. I was on the highway during rush hour on Friday of Texas-OU weekend on my way to Dallas from Austin. When the BCM went out, my dash lit up with red warnings like a christmas tree, and I almost died trying to get pulled over. DO NOT TRY TO LIMP TO THE DEALER!!!! Since repairs were completed under warranty, and the SBC pump was later replaced also under MB recall warranty, I have not had any brake issues whatsoever except normal wear replacement.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Scambo
When mine went out, I stood on the brake pedal and no stopping power worth mentioning. Seriously, people say you are supposed to have "some" limited braking power like a car without ABS, but in my case there was none. I was on the highway during rush hour on Friday of Texas-OU weekend on my way to Dallas from Austin. When the BCM went out, my dash lit up with red warnings like a christmas tree, and I almost died trying to get pulled over. DO NOT TRY TO LIMP TO THE DEALER!!!! Since repairs were completed under warranty, and the SBC pump was later replaced also under MB recall warranty, I have not had any brake issues whatsoever except normal wear replacement.

WOW thanks for sharing..
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by TopEndS62
WOW thanks for sharing..
TopEnd, does the M5 have a similar garbage SBC-type braking system or does it use the "old school" conventional braking system?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by gnma
TopEnd, does the M5 have a similar garbage SBC-type braking system or does it use the "old school" conventional braking system?
I wouldn't say conventional, because it has the usual abs, traction control... But No it's not similar to mb. It does not have electronic braking..
Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
This issue scares the crap out of me. Not just because I'm driving a car that could potentially experience this issue but think of how many people are on the road that could have this issue and could potentially hit me.

The system should be designed so that as long as the hydraulic brake lines haven't burst, you will have decent brakes regardless of what else fails.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Correct. 2003 E500. IF this happens CALL A TOW TRUCK!.

Now the real question is what does it take to convert to conventional brakes.? Will 07 parts bolt in? mods. But then the computer probably would not work and MB would not support it.

Guess the E500 will have to go before the brake warranty is up.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:23 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Correct. 2003 E500. IF this happens CALL A TOW TRUCK!.
Or an AMBULANCE.

Seriously - if you're going 60+ mph when it happens, the chances of you and others getting seriously hurt are pretty good.

There's 2 issues that are leaving me with a sour taste in my mouth with Mercedes:

1. This issue with the brakes

2. The glycol contamination issue on the older cars.

How can they just allow nummerous radiators fail, destroying transmissions for a lot of people who are without a warranty? Instead of replacing the defective radiators before that happens, they allow it to fail - and most will likely fail out of warranty.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's really bad. I wish they came out with a conversion system to a non-hydraulic MB system. And if they do, it should be free of charge (hope you reading this MBUSA).
Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
That's what I've heard from numerous people.... Regardless of what BS M-B says, there is really NO stopping power when the Brakes go out.

Want to know something else scary? I was looking at this Junkyard "Parts Finder" Website, where it's basically all kinds of salvaged and accident cars pictured with their parts offered up, and quite a few of the W211's pictured had the odometer screen display reading frozen in bright RED with the words "STOP! Brake Failure". Kind of puts a sick feeling in your stomach.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by K-A
That's what I've heard from numerous people.... Regardless of what BS M-B says, there is really NO stopping power when the Brakes go out.

Want to know something else scary? I was looking at this Junkyard "Parts Finder" Website, where it's basically all kinds of salvaged and accident cars pictured with their parts offered up, and quite a few of the W211's pictured had the odometer screen display reading frozen in bright RED with the words "STOP! Brake Failure". Kind of puts a sick feeling in your stomach.
So much for MB reliability and safety. I fully intend to trade the car in the next 18 months or so. Next car will probably not be MB based on my experience with this one.

I know there are others who will say this is part of owning a European car. NUTS....it isn't .
Old 08-22-2009, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
So much for MB reliability and safety. I fully intend to trade the car in the next 18 months or so. Next car will probably not be MB based on my experience with this one.

I know there are others who will say this is part of owning a European car. NUTS....it isn't .
I agree with you on that. My CLS has the SBC system, and I have expressed concerns about it to my SA.

It's nuts to have cars on this caliber and a simple failure leaves you in a death trap with no decent backup in place. Really makes me think about moving to a 07+ CLS in the near future.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350

The early 211's were brutal cars to own. Don't write off the brand. Get yourself an '07> & see the difference!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Total Brake Failure on 2004 E320