E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Declined to Teleaid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Declined to Teleaid

I declined to teleaid and never had any problems with teleaid, radio or cd.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:45 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
I also declined but am beginning to have problems

I now have ~2600 miles on my car and I am just now having the TeleAID/visit workshop message.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:06 PM

W211
Just curious, why did you not want Teleaid?
Old 02-22-2003, 07:22 PM

With a cellphone and keyless go, TeleAID is completely redundant.

Why pay for the privilege of having a cellphone that is so limited in its usability.

Not to mention all the problems that people have had with it, I would prefer to have it disabled at the factory until activated.

Instead, I have a warning message I can't defeat telling me there is a problem that I don't have.

Actually, even now with the message telling me my teleaid system needs repair, I can use it, albeit to call and get a message that I have not activated it.

If I can make the call, what is the problem with it?

I think the REAL trouble with TeleAID and Retrofit of the COMAND II is that the GPS antenna is defective or incorrectly spec'd for use with this sytem.

The only reason I can see to have TeleAID is in the case of a TRUE emergency where there is a risk of the driver being unconcious. In this case, I would think that MB should provide this service regardless of subscription. I paid plenty for this car, the last thing I should be expected to do is pay extra, monthly, for a feature that has no real use except in an emergency.

Odds are, that in an accident that could cause severe damage, to both the vehicle and the driver/passengers, I would wager that the entire TeleAID system would likely be useless and therefore, pointless.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:35 PM

W211
Good points-- I'm only planning on using Teleaid for the first year since it's free. I don't think it's worth paying for.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:01 PM

I wish it was really free.

Actually, the one trip I'm going to have to make to the dealer makes this, the most expensive free option to date.

Give it a try, but I think you may find that you can far more effectively use a cellphone and a web browser.

Unfortunately, the first year is allegedly free, but from what I've read that is really only 30 minutes of airtime, after that, they will start charging fees.

For me, it's just one more fee on top of all the other fees that recur whether you use them or not.

I would prefer to have the feature on a per use basis only.

If I never use it, no charge. On the other hand, if I want to try it out, and find I like it, I pay the price at a predictable rate per call.

As it is, I expect they'll charge something like $250 a year after the first year, just so that you'll have the privilege of being able to call the one service they provide.

Per use fees would probably attract more customers than the member fees attached to a service with limited value.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This service is provided on the back end by OnStar (GM). I don't know how the MB pricing compares with GM pricing, though.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 E55 '99 ML430 '96 C4 Cab
I declined to renew the teleaid. In this age of cellphones and in car navigation the service does indeed seem redundant. I used the "I" button twice when I had an engine malfunction (mass air flow sensor, mass air flow sensor and throttle actuator) and the check engine light came on. They were most helpful, telling me to take the car to a service center. I never would have figured that out without their assistance. The SOS function is however somewhat useful. It activates when the airbags deploy, or if the seat belt tensioners are activated. I think that this function would still do its' job in a severe collision, as these events would occur initially. I have treated several patients who were in late model MB's and involved in collisions. The police I spoke to stated that they were notified by the teleaid center of the exact location of the collision. During the recent bad weather we have had in the NE, a number of cars went off the highway and into the woods at a time when there wasn't much traffic to see them. It's also helpful if the car is stolen. I would have kept the service if the fee was nominal and there was a per use charge.
Rich
'01 E55
'99 ML 430
'96 993 C4 Cab
'04 E55 - #1 once COMAND is released
Old 02-23-2003, 02:33 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Agreed, it is a terribly useless service.

(a) It is very expensive. $300-400 per year for nothing, and then C$2 per minute for the calls when a normal cell call is $0.10 per minute - so that is $300-400 for nothing and then you get to oay 20 times!! the real cost

(b) When you call about a problem with the MB, that service should of course be free. I have

(c) The 30 free minutes include the setup call which typically takes 20 minutes. The "free" does not include the $80 air setup per year or the $2 per minute calls (by the way for $0.14 per minute I can call Hong Kong from Canada on my cell phone).

(d) I called the other day with a real problem - battery warning, and me on my way to an area up North without electricity, phones, cell coverage, etc. So when I asked "can I drive or should I return" they said, in a legalistic way that indicates this is all they ever say, "I Am Sorry Sir But We Are Not Allowed To Give You Advice". So I pay 20 times the real cost for something that should be free, only to be told they "cannot give me advice". Why the hell does this service exist other then to line MB's pockets?

The only reason I would keep it is for the alarm system. My insurance company may give me a break and if so, in my mind that is deducted from the cost.

But on the whole I agree with those here who have said this service is a ripoff. Now mind, I do not mind paying for good things (I drive a Benz, wear a Rolex, wear Italian suits, fly business class, etc) but I truly object to being taken for a ride, and that is what this feels like.

Mike

PS: Oh and a GSM receiver costs about $100 trade price, and its use is of course free, so please don't say it is the cost of the location device.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:10 PM

hi

so tele aid can help if the vehicle is stolen? but what if we dont renew the tele -aid?
can MB still locate our car if our vehicle is stolen??

and can the thief spoil/break the tele aid?
Old 02-23-2003, 03:17 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
As far as I understand it, if you do not have a subscription, TeleAid will not work.

Michael
Old 02-23-2003, 03:17 PM

2003 MB E500
Very good points Mike. Also accident notification should be standard and free regardless of one's teleaid subscription. IF MB is about safety then charging for this safety feature is ridiculous IMO
Old 02-23-2003, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I just realized that I really do not have a good idea of exactly Teleaid does or what the costs, etc are after the first year.

I seem to recall that there is a basic system and then a advance
level offered...but maybe not. I just did not pay attention.

Is there a clear and consise description of teleaid anywhere?

Ed
Old 02-23-2003, 03:25 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Originally posted by etenn
I just realized that I really do not have a good idea of exactly Teleaid does or what the costs, etc are after the first year.
There is no good description: MB chooses to obfuscate and hide the facts. (Eg there is no flyer. And the cost is on the back of the legal form, but the legal form you actually get is a copy so has no reverse). But it is like this in Canada (and presumably about the same in US). All costs approximate:

(a) ANNUAL COST $400 (us$250)
(b) ANNUAL NETWORK ACCESS FEE C$80 (us$50)
(c) PER MINUTE C$2 (US$1.35)

In year one, (a) is waived and thirty minutes of (b) are included (including the 20-minute access call).

Mike
Old 02-23-2003, 03:31 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
And there is a web site:

http://www.teleaid.com

Basically, all that this has is license conditions (again, let's obfuscate).

Mike
Old 02-23-2003, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by mwillems
There is no good description: MB chooses to obfuscate and hide the facts. (Eg there is no flyer. And the cost is on the back of the legal form, but the legal form you actually get is a copy so has no reverse). But it is like this in Canada (and presumably about the same in US). All costs approximate:

(a) ANNUAL COST $400 (us$250)
(b) ANNUAL NETWORK ACCESS FEE C$80 (us$50)
(c) PER MINUTE C$2 (US$1.35)

In year one, (a) is waived and thirty minutes of (b) are included (including the 20-minute access call).

Mike
That explains why I am confused. I did look on the "legal form" but didn't find any explanation of costs or services provided that made any sense. It appears to be intentionaly confusing. That said, how could they expect semi-intelligent (those of us on this forum:p ) to put out $300. each year, plus air time, without some promotion of benefits?

I could live with the high airtime charge but not the other charges each year.

Ed
Old 02-23-2003, 03:38 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Originally posted by etenn That said, how could they expect semi-intelligent (those of us on this forum:p ) to put out $300. each year, plus air time, without some promotion of benefits?
Well, Ed, we seem to be doing it... we must be silly. In my case I may even do it again, even though I greatly resent the cost and the unethical business methods(*), because IF I ever need it (crash, car stolen, etc) I will never forgive myself if the button does nothing.

Of course even if I do, I will just resent Benz, and that can never be good business.

Mike

(*) As said, I do not like being taken. For instance, if you do not cancel in >30 days before the end of the year, you are automatically charged again.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by mwillems

(*) As said, I do not like being taken. For instance, if you do not cancel in >30 days before the end of the year, you are automatically charged again.
I really resent that type of underhanded marketing. Maybe I should check and see what credit card I gave them and cancel it. Might be fun to see them try to force me to pay for something I don't want

Ed
Old 02-23-2003, 04:21 PM

they automatically charge us if we dont tell them after 30 days??

how are they going to charge us? will they charge us on our bank account?i thought they dont even know our bank account?

i have a car cooming on monday and it will be under my bro's name ....and then after 1 week i will transfer the ownership title

so will my bro get charged after 1 yr instead of me?because its all under his name when i bought the car....but i will transfer the ownership title in a week or so...at dmv
Old 02-23-2003, 08:44 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Originally posted by vodc4 they automatically charge us if we dont tell them after 30 days??
Only if you said "yes" the first time. That is why they "waive the charge in year one" (not true, see above, you still pay some!), to get people to sign up. Then if you forget to cancel before moneth 12, wham, you get a $300 bill next year!
Old 02-24-2003, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I declined teleaid and now I have annoying malfunction message teleaid not activated.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:33 AM

When you took delivery of your car, you were offered the opportunity to activate TeleAid with a credit card number which they would not bill during the first year. MB would waive the $240 annual fee for the first year and provide you with 30 minutes free of air time (if you go over, you will be billed per minute). It's pretty much a 1 year free trial period. If you decided not to activate TeleAid upon delivery, then there is nothing for MB to bill for the second year. Go to the dealer and they can remove to the TeleAid malfunction message.

I'm on my 2nd year of TeleAid and was billed $240 on my credit card. They send you a letter with plenty of advance notice (more than a month) of an impending charge, so you have plenty of time to cancel and avoid being billed.

Having said that, I have found the service to be delightful. Very courteous representatives always. You can use the info button to get a representative to get you directions, find restaurants, 411, and how to operate features on your MB car. Hitting the wrench button (roadside assistance) when my car battery had died was an easy ordeal. I guess I could've dialed the 1-800 road side number with my cell phone, but then I'd have to give them all my info. With TeleAid, all I had to do was tell them I had a dead battery (the voice system itself is high quality....voice permeates throughout the cabin clearly....and you speak normally). Thru GPS they already had my location. In their computer, they already had the year, model, color of my vehicle, and my cell phone to contact me if necessary. MB roadside assistance was immediately dispatched.

One of my previous cars was stolen. Let me say that it was no easy task. There were two interfacing alarm systems with starter kills and anti-carjacking capabilities, LoJack, and the Club for decoration. TeleAid has real time GPS tracking and 24 hours monitoring should your alarm system go off. If the alarm system goes off for more than (I can't remember) but I think it was 15 seconds, they will start to dial a series of contact numbers you left on record. If no one is contacted, they will dispatch police to your car to investigate. With real time GPS tracking, they can easily find the vehicle if you declare it stolen. What impressed me was a story my friend told me of his friend's S600 being stolen by a couple of valets at an upscale establishment. Apparently the valets took the S600 joyriding and decided not to return it back to the lot. When the owner came out of the restaurant, the car was unaccounted for and missing. Owner promptly called TeleAid and law enforcement. TeleAid informed law enforcement of car's location via real time GPS. The S600 was still in motion when TeleAid was tracking the vehicle. The police stopped the vehicle and made arrests of the occupants.

Another feature that got my attention was the ability to press SOS in emergency situations to summon immediate help should you god forbid need it and the automatic summoning of help by the TeleAid system upon a deployment of an airbag.

To clarify, TeleAid is NOT a On-Star system nor connected in anyway to On-Star. Mercedes developed the TeleAid system on their own in conjuction with Motorola with monitoring services by Protection One:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/saf...6/article.html

http://www.autoworld.com/news/Mercedes/TeleAid.htm

To address the point how the TeleAid service should be offered for free indefinitely, for those who own businesses with a security company monitoring the premises and responding to alarms, tell me how much that 24/7 monitoring costs you a year. $240 is a very small sum in comparison to the price of the car. Come on, you can afford the car, but not $240 a year? Digital cable TV costs twice that amount a year.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Thumbs up

Sold We will activate it. Not totally please with the fees, but for my wife's sense of safety and comfort- $240 is a pitance.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:54 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
darklcd: Good post and list of the positives. I have renewed on prior cars and will continue to do so.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
we also think 240 dollars is not a bad price per year. our car is sctually in the shop, we should get it today, the alarm main cpu is bad or something, and last week exactly it went off in our garage for no reason. tele-aid called us immediately to tell us it was off. they were nice and couteuos. then we had the tow the car, and people tlaking about serveice isnt good, maybe just have bad dealers. they sent us two cars, one for us, they spent a lot of time trying to help us out and everything. does anyone know if you have a second year term, how many minutes are included?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Declined to Teleaid