Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Winshield crack

Hi all,

I recently found out botton of the winshield has a long crack about 10 to 12 inches. Is it repairalbe ? if not, how much cost to change the winshield ? Dealer about $700 and someone quoted me $300 include tax and onsite installation. I know the $300 glass must be the made in china cheap one but anybody have those cheap glass experience ?
Thanx
Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Aftermarket glass typically does not have provisions for rain sensor mount. The glass company will try to cut it off old windshield and glue onto new one. Also, the aftermarket glass has incorrect tint (green or blue) and may not match your OEM side windows.

I personally would go with the factory one. Seen too many issues with aftermarket glass....
Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
+1 to what MB211 said. I had a cracked windshield a year ago and got it replaced by my dealer with an OEM glass. No leaks and the rain sensor works 100% just like the original. Insurance paid the first $200 or $300 and the rest was up to me. The dealer billed me $422.40 for the windshield and $350 for the labor.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
+1 to what MB211 said. I had a cracked windshield a year ago and got it replaced by my dealer with an OEM glass. No leaks and the rain sensor works 100% just like the original. Insurance paid the first $200 or $300 and the rest was up to me. The dealer billed me $422.40 for the windshield and $350 for the labor.
So total cost to you was $772 for a OEM windshield ?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Hi all,

I recently found out botton of the winshield has a long crack about 10 to 12 inches. Is it repairalbe ? if not, how much cost to change the winshield ? Dealer about $700 and someone quoted me $300 include tax and onsite installation. I know the $300 glass must be the made in china cheap one but anybody have those cheap glass experience ?
Thanx
I recently had to replace mine because a nice size rock jumped from the opposite lane and when it hit the windshield, it did a round crack (around 4 inches in diameter). The dealer asked for $1,200 for their Original Windshield. I went with SafeLite since they charged me $650 (Not Original but a pretty good replacement). Although the Insurance was covering the cost (minus the deductible), they told me if I went with the dealer, I would have to pay the difference between the $1,200 and $650 because Safelite was their approved Service Supplier for Windshield Repairs. If it wasn't because I am saving a ton with this Insurance, I would have dropped them already.

I drive 100 Miles a day so, I have been pretty lucky that this has not happened since I bought my car (more than 3 years ago).

The safelite guy was a young cool dude that did the job in my garage and he was telling me that the differences between the replacement they use and the original were minimal. He told me both were just as strong and most of the differences were cosmetic. They do install the original if you ask for it and the biggest difference is cost, and the MB White Sticker. The Safelite replacement does come with the Rain Sensor like the Original. He also mentioned that the Mercedes Dealers in the area subcontract Safelie to do the installations for the people that go to the dealer because the Dealers do not have all the materials to perform the replacements because it does not happen as often for the dealers to store all the supplies. Makes sense since Safelite only work on Windshield Replacements and they do mass orders of the special Epoxys that they use to install the windshield.

I was there the entire time the guy did the work and at least this guy did an amazing and very professional job. He told me he is the one that Safelite sends to service any calls for Mercedes vehicles (Dealers, Auctions, private people like me). He knew exactly what to do and in what order to do it. He took things apart in a few minutes which showed that he really has worked a lot of E-Class before. The guy told me that the worst to work on are the E-Calss with Panoramic Roof since they have to be VERY careful not to crack the roof.

I am very happy with the windshield I got and the service performed. I ordered the white sticker on ebay and you cannot tell the difference. Hey, if it can happen again, I was not going to spend a lot of money if the differences were going to be mostly cosmetic.

Your dealer is not asking for such a high price compared to mine. If I would have gotten that price from my dealer, I would have done it with them.

Last edited by handyovi; 11-04-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by handyovi
I recently had to replace mine because a nice size rock jumped from the opposite lane and when it hit the windshield, it did a round crack (around 4 inches in diameter). The dealer asked for $1,200 for their Original Windshield. I went with SafeLite since they charged me $650 (Not Original but a pretty good replacement). Although the Insurance was covering the cost (minus the deductible), they told me if I went with the dealer, I would have to pay the difference between the $1,200 and $650 because Safelite was their approved Service Supplier for Windshield Repairs. If it wasn't because I am saving a ton with this Insurance, I would have dropped them already.

I drive 100 Miles a day so, I have been pretty lucky that this has not happened since I bought my car (more than 3 years ago).

The safelite guy was a young cool dude that did the job in my garage and he was telling me that the differences between the replacement they use and the original were minimal. He told me both were just as strong and most of the differences were cosmetic. They do install the original if you ask for it and the biggest difference is cost, and the MB White Sticker. The Safelite replacement does come with the Rain Sensor like the Original. He also mentioned that the Mercedes Dealers in the area subcontract Safelie to do the installations for the people that go to the dealer because the Dealers do not have all the materials to perform the replacements because it does not happen as often for the dealers to store all the supplies. Makes sense since Safelite only work on Windshield Replacements and they do mass orders of the special Epoxys that they use to install the windshield.

I was there the entire time the guy did the work and at least this guy did an amazing and very professional job. He told me he is the one that Safelite sends to service any calls for Mercedes vehicles (Dealers, Auctions, private people like me). He knew exactly what to do and in what order to do it. He took things apart in a few minutes which showed that he really has worked a lot of E-Class before. The guy told me that the worst to work on are the E-Calss with Panoramic Roof since they have to be VERY careful not to crack the roof.

I am very happy with the windshield I got and the service performed. I ordered the white sticker on ebay and you cannot tell the difference. Hey, if it can happen again, I was not going to spend a lot of money if the differences were going to be mostly cosmetic.

Your dealer is not asking for such a high price compared to mine. If I would have gotten that price from my dealer, I would have done it with them.

Oh man.... I have the Pano-roof...... i better pray they dont crack it ...
So basicaly its cosmetic different for the material...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
So total cost to you was $772 for a OEM windshield ?
The windshield itself was $422.40. The labor to install the windshield by the dealer was an additional $350 so I ended up paying $722.40 to the dealer.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 PM

2003 E320
Oh man.... I have the Pano-roof...... i better pray they dont crack it ...
So basicaly its cosmetic different for the material...
At least the Safelite one. Not sure if that is the people who offered you the repacement. I would not think so because $300 is way to cheap.

The Safelite guy put them side by side and he showed me the differences. The White Sticker is the biggest difference. On the replacement there is a black small text printed around that same area. The Factory has some small quares on the bottom black area that the squares are like clear. This is where some rubber spaces are located (I am guessing to minimize vibration). On the replacement you do not see the squares but the guy knew exactly where to put them on the replacement. Other than that, I could not see any other differences. Again, that is for the Safelite replacement.

And again, if I would have gotten the price the dealer is offering you, I would have gone with the dealer.

Last edited by handyovi; 11-04-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
$1200 replacement windshield sounds like it may have had IR Reflecting glass ($980 part). The normal blue or green tinted glass list from $384-445. Labor depending on repair facility can range from $170 to $300.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by handyovi
The Safelite guy put them side by side and he showed me the differences. The White Sticker is the biggest difference...
You know you can order the White sticker from the MB Dealer's Parts department & apply it to your Safelite glass. The Part Number is on the sticker. (Be sure to order the right design as they have varied over the 211's lifespan.)
Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 PM

2007 E350, sport & P1
windshields

Check your insurance policies. If you don't have zero glass deductible, add it.
It's very inexpensive. I paid about $10.00 per six month policy for it when I was in New York.
I am now in Florida and it is included with State Farm comp coverage.
I just renewed with Geico and it is also included in Florida.
I have replaced three windshields in the last three cars I owned for zero cost.
My last experience was on my 07 E350 this month for a stone chip.
Glass Doctor was the company reccomended by State Farm, did a great job, factory glass with blue tint (sport package) rain sensor included. Did it in my driveway, installer said he does lots of installs for the dealers.
Dave
Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
You know you can order the White sticker from the MB Dealer's Parts department & apply it to your Safelite glass. The Part Number is on the sticker. (Be sure to order the right design as they have varied over the 211's lifespan.)
When we get replacment windshields installed at our dealer, the installer affixes the sticker. I believe on our W211 the sticker changed from "Mercedes" to "Daimler" but I have no complaints. These stickers, BTW, are a USA-only thing.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM

2007 E550 Sports
I have a question, I have a 2007 E550 Sport. What kind of tint do we have on the OEM windshield? Blue or Green? I don't think they have an option for no tint. Also can I get the white mercedes sticker from the dealer if not, can I get the newer clear mercedes sticker instead?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Pekkle
I have a question, I have a 2007 E550 Sport. What kind of tint do we have on the OEM windshield? Blue or Green? I don't think they have an option for no tint. Also can I get the white mercedes sticker from the dealer if not, can I get the newer clear mercedes sticker instead?
I think it depends on whether you have the "sport" package...

Can someone tell me if they know of the technical differences between the Safelite windshields and the one you get at the dealer? God forbid this happens to me and I am going to go completely nuts with State Farm if they don't pay for an OEM windshield that matches all the quality and features of the windshield that came with the car... IR properties and all.