E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fuel cap broke ok trivia but it is broken!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Fuel cap broke ok trivia but it is broken!

Last time I filled up the E500 2003 the plastic retaining strap on the cap broke and the cap fell to the gound. Ok,, so I don't like to get dirt on the cap and have it fall in the fuel. Not a good place to put the cap on the car as it was not build with a cap shelf on the fender. I needed part at the dealer and my car is under CPO warranty. I asked my service mgr if the fuel cap was CPO warranty as the strap broke. Answer, No..! The warranty is still in effect another 9,000 miles.

So I went to the parts counter thinking I could buy just the strap. NO Again. You must buy the cap at $50+ to get the strap. Now this sounds a little nuts to me. I was suprised the fuel system cap isn't covered but I suppose it might be considered wear and tear. But then I was equally surprised when I could not buy the strap. Guess I will use good old cotton cord, tie it in and leave it proudly hanging on the fender of the MB logoed car until I sell it. That way it will get great advertisement.

Just wondering how many of these have failed and what repair methods were used other than forgetting it on top of the gas pump and realizing it when the check engine light comes on.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Not a good place to put the cap on the car as it was not build with a cap shelf on the fender.
There should be a recess inside the fuel door designed to hold the cap while refueling.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
It never ends, does it...........?

Regards,
paul...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by paulv
It never ends, does it...........?

Regards,
paul...

Paul I just had to publish it. After all the issues we have had the cap falling off at the gas pump in the rain was just the cherry in the middle of the cake.

I published it trying to have a little fun!. Jim
Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
As mentioned, mine has a wire bail in the recess as well as the plastic strap (still intact).
It must be for rocket scientists only because everytime I try to put it in the holder, it pops out and hangs by the strap. Minor but annoying nevertheless
Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
As mentioned, mine has a wire bail in the recess as well as the plastic strap (still intact).
It must be for rocket scientists only because everytime I try to put it in the holder, it pops out and hangs by the strap. Minor but annoying nevertheless
I let mine hang by the strap but the strap broke and I ended up crawling under the car to pick it up.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by vettdvr
I let mine hang by the strap but the strap broke and I ended up crawling under the car to pick it up.
If you can figure out how to get that rotating ring (where one end of the strap connects to) off the cap, you could probably replace the strap with something better.

Regards,
paul...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
My cap and strap are still intact on the Benz. My Audi does not have a strap, but the cap has two little notches that let it balance securely on the top lip of the fuel lid while I fuel up. My Porsche, on the other hand, HAS NOTHING! How interesting that my most expensive car is crude in this department.

Steve
Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by paulv
If you can figure out how to get that rotating ring (where one end of the strap connects to) off the cap, you could probably replace the strap with something better.

Regards,
paul...
Haven't really look that close yet. I was thinking of using a dental tool to thread parachute cord around the ring and secure it to the attach point. I know parachute cord is durable. Yes I have used it for it's intended purpose,, before in my "younger" days.