E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Steering wheel vibrates when idle in D mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E320
Steering wheel vibrates when idle in D mode

Recently I noticed something odd about my car. Everytime when I start the car from a cooled down engine the steering wheel will vibrate when I am in Drive. If I put the transmission in Park or Reverse it doesn't vibrate at all it only seem to happen when I am in D mode and when the car is idle. When the car engine reaches to temperatures around 80-100C the vibration is gone, but while in D mode and the car is moving the vibration is gone but when going over speed bumps I can feel the vibration again. I told this to the service department and they said its normal, and couldn't figure out what is wrong. I know this ain't normal at all its so frustrating getting this problem resolved.

Also does any of your cars sorta have a short whiny noise that last around 2 seconds and the with the lights diming when you stop the car after a drive? At night I noticed that my cars interior lights sorta dims for 2seconds every so often at an intersection.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Talking

Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
Recently I noticed something odd about my car. Everytime when I start the car from a cooled down engine the steering wheel will vibrate when I am in Drive. If I put the transmission in Park or Reverse it doesn't vibrate at all it only seem to happen when I am in D mode and when the car is idle. When the car engine reaches to temperatures around 80-100C the vibration is gone, but while in D mode and the car is moving the vibration is gone but when going over speed bumps I can feel the vibration again. I told this to the service department and they said its normal, and couldn't figure out what is wrong. I know this ain't normal at all its so frustrating getting this problem resolved.

Also does any of your cars sorta have a short whiny noise that last around 2 seconds and the with the lights diming when you stop the car after a drive? At night I noticed that my cars interior lights sorta dims for 2seconds every so often at an intersection.
Motor mounts?
Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Engine/transmission mounts. My car did the same thing until I replaced them. Its silky smooth now
Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E320
Yea I took it to Penske to have it checked and they said i needed engine mounts. Good thing its still under warranty. The other dealership which I normally go to sucks, they always say "its normal" and failed to find the issue.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM

I went through the same thing with Fletcher Jones. Brought the car in at 49,000 miles complaining of a loud lifter/clacking noise especially during a cold start (which later progressed to a shaking in D mode). They didn't find anything wrong. Then the next oil change out of warranty they wanted $3,000 for new engine mounts and thrust arms. I have since replaced the engine/trans mounts which completely solved the problem.

I have 75,000 miles on the ODO now I wonder if theres anyway I could get MBUSA to at least reimburse me for parts?

Last edited by W Cole; 11-30-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by W Cole
I have 75,000 miles on the ODO now I wonder if theres anyway I could get MBUSA to at least reimburse me for parts?
If the complaint is documented on the invoice and addressed as “No Problem Found” and less than one year has passed (unlimited mileage) you “may” be able to successfully argue MBUSA reimbursement https://mbworld.org/forums/3201573-post81.html
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Yeah within a year after my original complaint the dealer told me I needed the engine mounts replaced. I said I had complained about them previously when the car was within warranty but they said they could not find record of such.

I was just recently going through some papers and I found the paperwork whch states "guest reports hearing lifter like noise at start." So i have proof of my complaint but it has been nearly two years now so I think I'm SOL.

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 PM

2005 E500, 2011 ML350
What does "hearing lifter noise" have to do with engine mounts?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by MB211
What does "hearing lifter noise" have to do with engine mounts?
I said the car made a bad clicking/ticking noise especially at startup and my SA wrote it down as a lifter noise. A lot of people on here have described the noise a bad engine mount makes as similar to that of a bad lifter or a diesel engine.