E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer Service Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350, 2015 ML350, 2017 X5
Dealer Service Experience

I just pick up my car today after 2 days at the dealer for 6 warranty repairs. The rep said everything is taken care of on the phone, but 3 of them were not done. One of the 3 was noted as declined.

Besides many other things that didn't go right, I noticed they put 18 miles on the car. On the invoice they put in as 3 miles driven (mile out - mile in). Basically, mile out was short by 15 miles. Also, checked the gas mileage in the computer. For last 45 min. it was 14 mph and 12.1 m/g.
What this means to me is the asXshole drivng my car did many WOT from slow speed. Which is also confirmed by how much gas is consumed. None of the service items I had specifically require long test drive.

I called the service manager right away. He simply said that's normal to QA the car. The only problem is that I don't really have any other dealer to go for the next warrany repair.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM

2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
That's unfortunate..........the quality of your MB Dealer is unacceptable but, like you indicate, they have a lock on the market in your area without any competition. You could complain to MBUSA about the overall poor service at this Dealer but then you might experience retribution on your vehicle when you go in again for service or repairs. But you do have the option of contacting MBUSA if the Dealer declines warranty work.......you should discuss that with the Service Manager and if he won't resolve it, it's acceptable to contact MBUSA to see if they will support your needs.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by MBE550
I just pick up my car today after 2 days at the dealer for 6 warranty repairs. The rep said everything is taken care of on the phone, but 3 of them were not done. One of the 3 was noted as declined.

Besides many other things that didn't go right, I noticed they put 18 miles on the car. On the invoice they put in as 3 miles driven (mile out - mile in). Basically, mile out was short by 15 miles. Also, checked the gas mileage in the computer. For last 45 min. it was 14 mph and 12.1 m/g.
What this means to me is the asXshole drivng my car did many WOT from slow speed. Which is also confirmed by how much gas is consumed. None of the service items I had specifically require long test drive.

I called the service manager right away. He simply said that's normal to QA the car. The only problem is that I don't really have any other dealer to go for the next warrany repair.
You have to sign off to let them drive the car for longer ranges, at least that's how it was at my dealer, so they should not have done that without your permission.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 & ML500
Regarding the issues that were declined, I would look at the warranty booklet that was given to you when you purchased the car. See if they are covered in the booklet/handout. Then I would contact MBUSA, to see if they are able help you out with the particular dealership. You should try to use your warranty before it expires, since these cars are very costly to repair.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 AM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
What were the issues that were declined? Also, I wouldn't worry about the 18 miles. You may love it but the dealer staff could give a rip about your car. They deal with them all day long. They mostly want to get them out of the place as soon as possible. If they are going to go joy riding it's unlikely to be in an E.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 AM

The item declined was rear left sill plate that was cracked. This is the thin piece of plastic that's easily replaceable. It is covered under original factory warranty.
They declined it saying that it was impact damage. It's ridiculous. This is $20 part, and probably take 3 min to replace.

Actually this was already cracked when I bought the car as certified. It's just hard to see it, and I never had anyone sit in the back. The piece looks like it can crack if you step on it a little to hard. The funny thing is that I already argued about this over the phone, and the rep said he will take care of it. Before I picked up the car I confirmed again over the phone, and he said all fixed. Just bad service and not an honest person.

The other 2 items also not fixed: Brake squeal, very loud when the brake is cold. once heat up then no noise. They had the car for 2 nights and should be able to reproduce.

AC Fan noise on low setting. Also noted as cannot be heard.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
The item declined was rear left sill plate that was cracked. This is the thin piece of plastic that's easily replaceable. It is covered under original factory warranty.
They declined it saying that it was impact damage. It's ridiculous. This is $20 part, and probably take 3 min to replace.

Actually this was already cracked when I bought the car as certified. It's just hard to see it, and I never had anyone sit in the back. The piece looks like it can crack if you step on it a little to hard. The funny thing is that I already argued about this over the phone, and the rep said he will take care of it. Before I picked up the car I confirmed again over the phone, and he said all fixed. Just bad service and not an honest person.

The other 2 items also not fixed: Brake squeal, very loud when the brake is cold. once heat up then no noise. They had the car for 2 nights and should be able to reproduce.

AC Fan noise on low setting. Also noted as cannot be heard.
Not what you want to hear and I hate to sound like the dealer but you're probably screwed.

1. I doubt the sill plate is $20. I don't think there is a part that is <$20. If the rep said it would be fixed elevate it. Always get a "we owe".

2. About the only thing you can do with stock pads if they howl is to take them apart, clean and put anti-squeal on them. I had the issue on an ml500 and the dealer could never sort it out. Is it corrosion from sitting or just cold? In any event, try to be reasonable and understand with a pad that is a little higher performance than the norm you may get some squeal when cold. The trade off is that you end up with better brake feel, longer rotor life and so on. Everything with brake pads is a compromise.

3. The low speed setting in the 211 is loud and in general the auto HVAC sucks. I'm afraid it is what it is.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Not what you want to hear and I hate to sound like the dealer but you're probably screwed.

1. I doubt the sill plate is $20. I don't think there is a part that is <$20. If the rep said it would be fixed elevate it. Always get a "we owe".

2. About the only thing you can do with stock pads if they howl is to take them apart, clean and put anti-squeal on them. I had the issue on an ml500 and the dealer could never sort it out. Is it corrosion from sitting or just cold? In any event, try to be reasonable and understand with a pad that is a little higher performance than the norm you may get some squeal when cold. The trade off is that you end up with better brake feel, longer rotor life and so on. Everything with brake pads is a compromise.

3. The low speed setting in the 211 is loud and in general the auto HVAC sucks. I'm afraid it is what it is.

Good luck.
1. I checked the part online from another dealer's website who sells all OEM parts online. The rep told me it would be $45 to replace when I told him it should be covered under warranty. This is not so much about the price, but just a hassle to take the car back which will cost me 2 hrs of time.

2. I know all my friends with MB has similar issues. My car didn't until recently. I don't think most BMW has this issues even though they have high perf. pads.

3. I'm not talking about normal fan/wind noise that are constantly there. I know my car's fan is noisier than any other car I owned before.
I have high pitch annoying noise with varying freq. that comes and goes which sounds like typical bearing failure on the fan.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
1. I checked the part online from another dealer's website who sells all OEM parts online. The rep told me it would be $45 to replace when I told him it should be covered under warranty. This is not so much about the price, but just a hassle to take the car back which will cost me 2 hrs of time.

2. I know all my friends with MB has similar issues. My car didn't until recently. I don't think most BMW has this issues even though they have high perf. pads.

3. I'm not talking about normal fan/wind noise that are constantly there. I know my car's fan is noisier than any other car I owned before.
I have high pitch annoying noise with varying freq. that comes and goes which sounds like typical bearing failure on the fan.
1. If it's me, I spend the $45 just so I don't have to go to the dealer.

2. You're right, the BMW's I've had didn't squeal. Even my Pcars with pretty aggressive pads are quiet. MB's seem to be the worst for no apparent reason. I've fixed it as described but it's a hassle. My wife ditched the ML500 for that issue.

3. Sounds like it is a motor. I thought you were talking about just the overall noisy system.

The service on Benz and BMW is nothing like it used to be. It's really no better than any other now.

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 12-31-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 PM

1. yes, that' my point. I'd rather spent $45 and get it done, and that was the understanding. I never told the rep don't do it. He said it was done, before I drive to the dealer to pick up the car. Considering I bought the car from this dealer, it's just a bad service, period!

2. agreed.
3. yup.