E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Pic of Tectite Sport?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
Pic of Tectite Sport?

Does anyone have a pic of a tectite E500 Sport?
Old 03-14-2003, 02:09 PM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
Here's one STKLAW, got it from someone else here on this forum. (I think it was Pat A. ??). I'm ordering same, although I'm getting 4Matic Tectite w/sport pkg in '04 model year. I must admit however, that as each day goes by, I'm starting to think more about Pewter....dark colors are tough to keep clean, esp in wet climate like Seattle

Last edited by dtm; 03-14-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:22 PM

2010 E550
Thanks,

Dark colors are hard to keep clean and the Pewter looks real nice BUT IMO if you want to maximize the "Sport Look" then you need to go with a darker color. I agonized over whether to get black/black or tectite. I have a '98 E430 Sport in Obsidian Black and it wasn't too bad to keep clean. A lot less visible swirls than black/black. I decided that the tectite/charcoal Sport would give me that "Sport Look" and still be reasonable to keep looking good. BTW I opted out of black/black because for one I didn't want to waste the metallic paint option at no cost, two, any little bitty chip on the paint shows up glaringly and three I didn't want to do the whole Men In Black thing.

I think you will love tectite. Just make sure you have an orbital buffer and the swirls will be easy to eliminate. Only takes a polishing with the buffer once every 6 months or so to keep it looking snazy and once you get the hang of it you can do it plus put on the hand wax in about an hour.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:27 PM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
Agree that dark color is much better for Sport, plus IMO the Panorama roof blends better with the darker colors. I like Tectite simply because its not black...so many silvers and blacks on the road, and I see very few MB's in Tectite, so nice to be a bit different. And I like the combo of Tectite/charcoal/black maple.

Thanks for the info on the buffer. Between this and info I've been getting on Zaino waxes, I may have to quit working just to take care of this damn car!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:34 PM

2010 E550
I have heard of Zaino but don't know much about it. Is it just a polish and wax?

BTW have you seen the inside of charcoal sport? Here is a pic I found on another site. It does not have the wood wheel (which we both have coming and will be a great addition to this look)
Old 03-14-2003, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Check out the detailing forum...there is more there about Zaino than you may want to know

It is a pretty simple process and does a great job.

Ed
Old 03-14-2003, 04:30 PM

2010 E350 4-Matic, Silver, Blk Leather, P2 package, Sport pkg, Drive Dynamic Seat
E-500 Sport

You Wrote:
Dark colors are hard to keep clean and the Pewter looks real nice BUT IMO if you want to maximize the "Sport Look" then you need to go with a darker color. I agonized over whether to get black/black or tectite. I have a '98 E430 Sport in Obsidian Black and it wasn't too bad to keep clean. A lot less visible swirls than black/black. I decided that the tectite/charcoal Sport would give me that "Sport Look" and still be reasonable to keep looking good. BTW I opted out of black/black because for one I didn't want to waste the metallic paint option at no cost, two, any little bitty chip on the paint shows up glaringly and three I didn't want to do the whole Men In Black thing.

STKLAW, I am agonizing over color choices as well. I like black(currently own a '00 E-320 Black 4-Matic), but I also don't want to waste the n/c metallic paint option on the E-500. I previously owned a '98 E-320 Obsidian Black, but wasn't happy how Obsidian looked in the sunlight. I fould myself constantly looking at other Black color cars...thus the current car in Black. I'm also leaning towards choosing Tectite, buy I may go with the ash interior to add some contrast and it goes well with the birdseye maple. I to was thinking about a light color, but you make a great point about maximizing the "Sport Look" with a dark color.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:08 PM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
Here is another charcoal/sport pkg interior that shows the wood a little more clearly...I like this look, even though it provides less contrast than ash.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:46 PM

2010 E550
Yes! I have been looking for a pic with the charcoal in a sport with the wood wheel! This looks great. I think there is plenty of contrast. This looks real good. I really like the fact that you don't have a different color dash than interior. I've got that now (with ash interior) and while you get used to it I like the solid charcoal look a lot better.

The only hesitation I had with charcoal is that I have seen older MBs that had black/charcoal interior and it didn't look like they held their new look but I have come to realize that the cars I have seen were not nearly as well taken care of as I do mine.

Great pic. Where did you find it?

My dog even gives it a high five! His name is Leo, he's kinda charcoal too:
Old 03-15-2003, 12:00 AM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
Same source as the exterior pic I posted above, I think it was Pat A. from this forum.

I really like this look as well, and I'm certain that the interior will hold up better in a wet climate like Seattle better than any of the lighter colors. Plus, I think it asdds to the sporty overall look. Notice how much the white gauge faces stand out when everything around them is dark. Can't wait to see them backlit blue at night....
Old 03-15-2003, 12:06 AM

2010 E550
I think Pat a has ash interior. I do like it better in charcoal. You can have too much contrast too. I hope my charcoal will hold up. It is never parked outside for long periods of time (garaged at work and heated and cooled garage at home). Plus I'm a detail nut and wouldn't let it get shabby. BTW the dog rides in the wifes QX4 and not the benz.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:59 PM

Hi guys, just noticed this post. The picture is in fact from me, thanks for the compliments.

I bought the Tectite/Ash/Sport after seeing a Tectite/Charcoal/Sport in a showroom. I immediately fell in love with the Tectite color - it just looked amazing. I am absolutely convinced it is the best color offered on the E - although beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i also love the charcoal interior, which no doubt will be easier to keep clean. But, in seeing that interior with the Sport package, it was obvious that it did not do justice to the black bird's eye maple - the wood gets completely "swallowed" by the charcoal, so you don't even really notice that it is wood. The fit between the Tectite, Ash, black wood, and white guages in my opinion is just amazing.

Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but these are my thoughts.

My second paint choice would have been Obsidian - I thought the mettalic black was nicer than the flat black.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:25 PM

2010 E350 4-Matic, Silver, Blk Leather, P2 package, Sport pkg, Drive Dynamic Seat
Pat, the dashboard view picture you posed on 1/11 convinced me that ash interior with the sports package and black birdseye trim looks awesome! Taking my wife to the dealership tomorrow (Sunday no sales people around) to look at the Tectite color. For me its going to be either Tectite or Black with the ash interior. The picture of your Tectite looks great! Enjoy your car.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:32 PM

Let us know what you think after seeing the cars and what you decide, its always interesting to hear other people's perspectives.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:34 AM

New color dilemma

Should have know...after spending about an hour with my wife and looking at all the colors, we now have a new dilemma...Brillant Silver has been added to the mix! My two previous E's have been black so that's why I was looking into Tectite. We have some time to decide on which color to choose (Black, Tectite or Silver) since I want to order an E-500 4-Matic, which won't be availabe until 8/03. Whatever color we decide upon I'm definitely going with the Ash interior and Sports Package option.

We'll let you guy know our final decision. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-20-2003, 11:45 AM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
Skipper, good luck with your decision. I'm also ordering an E500 4Matic for '04 and am pretty much settled on Tectite, primarily becasue its not a mianstream color but still looks great. I was torn between Pewter, Platinum Blue and Tectite, but I think I'm finally ready to stick with my decision. Have you heard something concrete from your dealer about '04 delivery? Mine is saying I'll be able to finalize my order in late June or July with autumn delivery...August would be nice if you have heard different info...