E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Extended Warranty...To buy or not to buy??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Extended Warranty...To buy or not to buy??

Here is my dilema your input would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2009 E550 with 13,000. I plan to keep the car for about 6 years. My wife puts on about 25-30k miles a year. My thought is that I even if i buy the warranty I will have a few years at the end with no warranty coverage. So i might as well save the 4k and hope for the best. It would just suck to buy the warranty and then have somthing big got wrong after 100k. Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E350 Sport
25k a yr X 6 yrs = 150k miles making it near unsellable at the end of the 6 yrs

Tough call on the warranty. To me the big questions are the tranny, ball joints, electronic failures before 100k miles
Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 AM

E500 & ML500
If you plan on putting 25K to 30K miles a year for six years, I would definately look into getting a warranty. Since these cars are very costly to repair, one major service will pay for the warranty. But make sure you shop around and look at third party warranty companies also.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 AM

GL550
If i make it through the first 45k miles with no problems do you think that has any impact on the decision? Maybe that would indicate that I got a "good" one that won't have alot of problems.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by wampa
If you plan on putting 25K to 30K miles a year for six years, I would definately look into getting a warranty. Since these cars are very costly to repair, one major service will pay for the warranty.

Ditto... but that's just my 2 cents...
Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Heads or tails?

An extended warranty is a gamble. The administrator of the warranty is a FOR PROFIT company and is betting that you will pay more for the warranty than you payed for it. So is your health insurance, home owners and auto insurance.....

If you have the money in the bank at any given time to easily afford a $1000 repair, then do not but the warranty. The warranty gives you piece of mind. You "prepaid" for your repairs now....who knows what your financial position is later when your car breaks? What if it breaks the same week the fridge and washer die? Would you consider that a financial burden? In the 100k period of time I would expect a few oil leaks and a few rubber parts (bushings/mounts) to wear out....You WILL use it.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by MB211
Heads or tails?

An extended warranty is a gamble. The administrator of the warranty is a FOR PROFIT company and is betting that you will pay more for the warranty than you payed for it. So is your health insurance, home owners and auto insurance.....

If you have the money in the bank at any given time to easily afford a $1000 repair, then do not but the warranty. The warranty gives you piece of mind. You "prepaid" for your repairs now....who knows what your financial position is later when your car breaks? What if it breaks the same week the fridge and washer die? Would you consider that a financial burden? In the 100k period of time I would expect a few oil leaks and a few rubber parts (bushings/mounts) to wear out....You WILL use it.
+1 don't forget that the warranties are very profitable to these companies (MB included) otherwise they wouldn't exist in the first place.

But as far as the "rubber parts" etc., wearing out, just remember that a lot of that may be under normal wear and tear (like brakes) and is not covered under any warranty. Be sure to read the fine print of whatever warranty you might choose.

Why are you even thinking about it now? You still have the factory warranty. It sounds like you really just want peace of mind. And that you will have to pay for. But why not wait until the time is near. Who knows, your whole perception on the car and might change by then. Save your $$ and sit tight for now.

(As far as you putting on that sort of mileage it's a no win situation for you. That's a lot of miles. Maybe just get a less expensive to maintain but still comfortable and safe Japanese commuter car instead (?))
Old 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by 220S
+1 don't forget that the warranties are very profitable to these companies (MB included) otherwise they wouldn't exist in the first place.

But as far as the "rubber parts" etc., wearing out, just remember that a lot of that may be under normal wear and tear (like brakes) and is not covered under any warranty. Be sure to read the fine print of whatever warranty you might choose.

Why are you even thinking about it now? You still have the factory warranty. It sounds like you really just want peace of mind. And that you will have to pay for. But why not wait until the time is near. Who knows, your whole perception on the car and might change by then. Save your $$ and sit tight for now.

(As far as you putting on that sort of mileage it's a no win situation for you. That's a lot of miles. Maybe just get a less expensive to maintain but still comfortable and safe Japanese commuter car instead (?))
I agree. I bought an extended one for my MB, but it was trouble free during that time. MB is not a Toyota, Honda, Nissan that you can put on 100K repair free. With your kind of mileage, extended warranty of not. You will pay for repairs, and here is the sad part, at the end of your ownership, your MB is hardly worth anything! Get a slightly used Japanese car and used that as a commuter. Drive the MB sparingly as I do. My G35 is pushing 80K and repair free. Of course, I have spent about $500 for preventive maintenance.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
The advice given above is sound. Extended warranties may not be suitable for everyone, since everyone's expectations and usage of the vehicle may be different.

Just to add one more thing... IF you are even remotely tempted to get a GENUINE MB Extended Warranty, I recommend you get it within the first 30 Days of ownership. After the 30 day window, MBUSA will charge an up to 15% surcharge to purchase a GENUINE MB Extended Warranty.

If at any time you choose NOT to keep the GENUINE MB Extended Warranty within the life of your original Factory Warranty (4 years/50K miles I believe), then you can return it for a 100% FULL REFUND. Once your Factory Warranty expires (over 4 years/50K miles), then if you try and return your GENUINE MB Extended Warranty, you will get a PRORATED REFUND back (even if your car was totalled in an accident, stolen, etc). That was what I was told by 3 MB dealerships as well as a rep at MBUSA.

So IMO, unless you are dead certain you do NOT want a GENUINE MB Extended Warranty, I'd buy it within the first 30 days of ownership and think it over. Return it before your Factory Warranty period ends to get a full refund if you don't want it.

If it's already too late to buy it without 15% surcharge, then I'd just think about it, and if you REALLY want it, then buy it BEFORE YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY EXPIRES! Once your Factory Warranty expires, you CANNOT buy a GENUINE MB Extended Warranty anymore (but you can still by 3rd party warranties).

NOTE: The statements above is relevant ONLY for the current GENUINE MB Extended Warranty. It does NOT pertain to other 3rd party warranties sold by MB dealerships. For more details, read the terms & conditions of your warranty policy.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM

GL550
The reason that we have this car and not a beater is becasue my wife business gives her $1,000 a month for a payment on a White Benz. Has to be white has to be Benz but they dont care if you lease or buy it and you get the money even if you pay it off. The high mileage is why I intend to keep the car so long, to get my moneys worth. You get screwed over trading your car in every 3 years especially with that kind of mileage. And plus I love the car and never need a nicer one but dont want the smaller C. I am leaning towards sticking the 4k in my pocket and crossing my fingers. I had great luck with my last car a 2003 C240 had it to 150,000 when finished and no probelms except fuel pump going bad.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I am in the same "boat". I just purchased a 2006 cdi with 49k. I found one company that will offer a five year/100k extended warranty for $4k. I am wondering if I should just stick the $4k in the bank and hope for the best. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated! My wife and I will put under 15k a year on this vehicle.
Mike T.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:00 PM

2009 E350
Soccerg201, how do I get a job with your wife's company?

The guys on the AMG boards really like the Chrysler extended warranty. As everyone here says, just wait until you're close to the end of your 50K warranty. The Chrysler one is interesting because you can get 4 years/unlimited miles warranty. This sounds like it's perfect for your situation.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 AM

E500 & ML500
Originally Posted by brettmf
All,

Just got off the phone with Michael. Here is what I have found. Hopefully, this will end the debate on inception date or warranty date as I think he made it pretty clear.

I have a 2006 E55, with just over 40K miles. The in-service date puts factory warranty up in March 2010. So, I am still under warranty.

Quote:
Max Care 7/100 (for cars still under warranty)
$100 deductible
$3,065
This would start at in service date 03/06 and take it out to 03/13 or 100K miles.

MaxCare 5/70 or 4/Unlimited (for cars not under warranty)
You can still buy this if you are still under warranty but you should buy it ~2 weeks prior to factory warranty expiration. NO inspection fee if done this way.

5/70 would take me out to 2015 or (~40K+70K)=110K miles
or
4/Unlimited would take me out to 2014/unlimited miles

$100 ded
$3,460

$200 ded
$2,810

Same price for 5/70 or 4/Unlimited

I hope this helps everyone as I was pretty confused with all the different scenarios I've seen on here.

Now, I just need to decide which plan is best for me.
Above is some info regarding the Chrysler warranty.

Personally I am leaning toward getting the 5/70 with the $200 deductible plan, since it starts the day that it is purchased. I can invest (or spend on mods ) the saved $650 (when compared to the $3460/$100 deductible). Plus I don't drive the car that often about 12K miles a year. So that would keep me under the 70K mark.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 AM

WDBUF65J04A415791

I elected to put the $4000.00 in my pocket and hope for the best. It is a gamble but at the end of the period of time the warrant would expire the $4000.00 is still mine. Oh and I will find a Certificate of deposit or share draft that will gain ME some interest on that $4000.00 gaining me money if I don't have to use it. I have also had bad luck with Ext Warts(<lol). After a claim they like to cancel or have some kind of exclusion or reason why the warranty isn't going to cover the problem at hand. Things such as normal wear and tear. Oh I have also always had the best luck buying my cars pre-owned. They have most of the bugs worked out in the first 36000 miles and are marked down .25 to .50 of original cost and are normally like new. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM

2009 E350
I purchased the MB factory warranty 7/100K shortly after I purchased my E350 last summer. I'm in the same boat as some of you guys. I'm thinking about cancelling this policy and waiting until the end of the new car warranty to see how the first 4/50K time goes. If I feel I need a longer warranty, then I can pick up the Chrysler one. If I haven't had any issues at all, I can roll the dice and hope that I don't spend more than $4K on an indy shop for repairs. I think indy shops are 1/2 of the cost of dealer?

What do you think about the late model 211s? From reading this board, it looks like every year they've become more reliable. I wonder in 2007 if there were already well known issues that nearly all 2004/2005 owners suffered?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jpasley69
I elected to put the $4000.00 in my pocket and hope for the best. It is a gamble but at the end of the period of time the warrant would expire the $4000.00 is still mine. Oh and I will find a Certificate of deposit or share draft that will gain ME some interest on that $4000.00 gaining me money if I don't have to use it. I have also had bad luck with Ext Warts(<lol). After a claim they like to cancel or have some kind of exclusion or reason why the warranty isn't going to cover the problem at hand. Things such as normal wear and tear. Oh I have also always had the best luck buying my cars pre-owned. They have most of the bugs worked out in the first 36000 miles and are marked down .25 to .50 of original cost and are normally like new. Just my 2 cents.
I tend to agree.

I guess the only issue with a MB is that $4k doesn't buy you much in repairs. These cars are very expensive to fix out of warranty. And once you're out of warranty you can't buy an ELW.

But, yeah, it's all luck of the draw. Just like any kind of insurance. A colleague of mine is super wealthy and drives expensive new cars but doesn't carry full insurance (only liability). He says he'll take the chances and pay for any damages on his own instead of giving the insurance company his money every year. Of course, he's uber rich.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:51 PM

2009 E350
I know someone who says he doesn't carry auto insurance through an insurance company. I thought it was required by law. He told me if one gets a bond with a couple hundred $$ in a savings account, it's not required. He's his own auto insurance provider and makes interest on that money. The advantages of the wealthy . . .
Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sunnySD
I know someone who says he doesn't carry auto insurance through an insurance company. I thought it was required by law. He told me if one gets a bond with a couple hundred $$ in a savings account, it's not required. He's his own auto insurance provider and makes interest on that money. The advantages of the wealthy . . .
Liability is required by law. And yeah, you can post bond for the amount of the liability limit as required by law. You simply have to figure out if you want to pay the amount (say $300,000) to cover any possible accident liability (property and personal) and how many years would it take to pay an insurance company that amount in premiums. And then whether or not you'll ever have an accident.

If I was uber rich I'd probably just pay liability premiums but not collision. I could easily replace or fix my car. Collision and comprehensive insurance premiums are what's high on expensive cars.

The only downside is that if you're rich and you're at fault, people will sue you anyway. Go ahead, have an accident, but make sure it's definitely not your fault.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 PM

WDBUF65J04A415791
Warranty vs Insurance

Wait!!! I thought the topic was about Warranty not insurance. There is a big difference. You are required to have at least liability insurance on all vehicles on the open road. Warranty are now required on all vehicles sold unless given written notice that there is no warranty and then you still have 30 days warranty at sellers cost. (So I'm told) Service warranty is for when your car breaks down and doesn't cover normal wear and tear and neglected items. Insurance is when you have a finder bender or some physical damage is done to your vehicle.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM

WDBUF65J04A415791
I got my E320 Used with 83500 miles on it and was still offered a 5year 150,000 mile warranty for $5500. I also priced an engine for my car. No labor $9500 rebuilt and $4500 for a used motor this included shipping. Transmission was similar in cost. To me this is the most costly repair that could happen to my car. Now I can't say I’m a rich person but if I put away the $300 a month(I’d have to make payment for that warranty) that this warranty company wanted for the life of the warranty and serviced my vehicle like I should and what they would require to keep the warranty anyway. Then I win in the end. If the car broke and I don't have enough to repair it then I have a nice healthy down payment on my next MBz. When the warranty period is over and my luck is good I get to KEEP all this green stuff. My next Mbz going to be and AMG
Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wait!!! I thought the topic was about Warranty not insurance. There is a big difference. You are required to have at least liability insurance on all vehicles on the open road. Warranty are now required on all vehicles sold unless given written notice that there is no warranty and then you still have 30 days warranty at sellers cost. (So I'm told) Service warranty is for when your car breaks down and doesn't cover normal wear and tear and neglected items. Insurance is when you have a finder bender or some physical damage is done to your vehicle.
Oh. And all this time I thought a warranty was to fix fender benders and insurance was to fix the car when it breaks down.

Threads evolve. That's the nature of them.

I got my E320 Used with 83500 miles on it and was still offered a 5year 150,000 mile warranty for $5500. I also priced an engine for my car. No labor $9500 rebuilt and $4500 for a used motor this included shipping. Transmission was similar in cost. To me this is the most costly repair that could happen to my car. Now I can't say I’m a rich person but if I put away the $300 a month(I’d have to make payment for that warranty) that this warranty company wanted for the life of the warranty and serviced my vehicle like I should and what they would require to keep the warranty anyway. Then I win in the end. If the car broke and I don't have enough to repair it then I have a nice healthy down payment on my next MBz. When the warranty period is over and my luck is good I get to KEEP all this green stuff. My next Mbz going to be and AMG
Except you still have to pay a lot more because you are buying a new car. That "healthy down payment" has to come from somewhere, as does the rest of the cost of a new car. There's no free lunch. And if you don't have enough to repair it, then you probably don't have enough to buy a new car. Or maybe shouldn't be buying one. The endless circle of being in debt.....

Anyway, choosing to buy a warranty or not is an individual choice. Some folks do it because they prefer not to gamble or simply just for peace of mind. Peace of mind costs money. Again, there's no free lunch.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 AM

E500 & ML500
I agree, that a warranty is for peace of mind. Knowing that I have a warranty helps me sleep at night