Weird Engine oil check OBD !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz E-320 CDI
Weird Engine oil check OBD !

Hey,
This morning, I drove to work, about a 25km drive from my house. When i got there, I shut the car off for a minute and checked the oil level, and it said it needed 1.0Litre of oil to reach the max point, I said "ok" , then I went to the bank and the checked out again, it said Engine oil level "OK". Is it normal to get readouts like this ? I own a 2006 MB E320 CDI and my last oil change was done about 7500km ago. What should I do ? I don't want to run low on oil, nor do I want to put overall fill oil.
Also, what's the best oil for this car ? I called the dealer, he said get "low ash" and it has to be "5w30" I always thought, this car took 0w40 or 5w40.
If he says "5w30" , i'll be getting that then, but would a normal full Synthetic mobil 1 5w30 or 0w40 be a good buy from my local Wal-Mart ?
thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by 99E320_Bilal
Hey,
This morning, I drove to work, about a 25km drive from my house. When i got there, I shut the car off for a minute and checked the oil level, and it said it needed 1.0Litre of oil to reach the max point, I said "ok" , then I went to the bank and the checked out again, it said Engine oil level "OK". Is it normal to get readouts like this ? I own a 2006 MB E320 CDI and my last oil change was done about 7500km ago. What should I do ? I don't want to run low on oil, nor do I want to put overall fill oil.
Also, what's the best oil for this car ? I called the dealer, he said get "low ash" and it has to be "5w30" I always thought, this car took 0w40 or 5w40.
If he says "5w30" , i'll be getting that then, but would a normal full Synthetic mobil 1 5w30 or 0w40 be a good buy from my local Wal-Mart ?
thanks

How long did you wait before checking the oil?? Typically it is recommended that you wait a minimum of 5 minutes before checking your oil after shutting the car off. This allows time for the oil that is sitting in the cylinder head(s) to drain back into the oil pan for an accurate reading of how much oil you actually have within the engine.

As for the oil, you need to use the type that is recommended in your owners manual, and is typically displayed on your oil cap. Seeing as you have a CDI you need to make sure that the oil you purchase is specified for a Diesel.

Check out your manual through this link and you'll find that you need to use the following:

Only use approved engine oils and oil
filters required for vehicles with
Maintenance System (U.S. vehicles) or
FSS PLUS (Canada vehicles). For a
listing of approved engine oils and oil
filters, refer to the Factory Approved
Service Products pamphlet in your vehicle
literature portfolio, or contact an
authorized Mercedes-Benz Center.
Using engine oils and oil filters of specification
other than those expressly required
for the Maintenance System
(U.S. vehicles) or FSS PLUS (Canada
vehicles), or changing of oil and oil filter
at change intervals longer than those
called for by the Maintenance System
vehicles) will result in engine damage
not covered by the Mercedes-Benz
Limited Warranty.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsOwnersManuals/

How helpful is that right...??!!....Wouldn't it be nice if they just told you what you were supposed to put in it..??? Hopefully you have your 'Factory Approved Service Products pamphlet' to tell you what to use.

However it's my understanding that you must make sure that you use Diesel compatible Oils in a diesel car.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by WRC7732
How long did you wait before checking the oil?? Typically it is recommended that you wait a minimum of 5 minutes before checking your oil after shutting the car off. This allows time for the oil that is sitting in the cylinder head(s) to drain back into the oil pan for an accurate reading of how much oil you actually have within the engine.

As for the oil, you need to use the type that is recommended in your owners manual, and is typically displayed on your oil cap. Seeing as you have a CDI you need to make sure that the oil you purchase is specified for a Diesel.

Check out your manual through this link and you'll find that you need to use the following:

Only use approved engine oils and oil
filters required for vehicles with
Maintenance System (U.S. vehicles) or
FSS PLUS (Canada vehicles). For a
listing of approved engine oils and oil
filters, refer to the Factory Approved
Service Products pamphlet in your vehicle
literature portfolio, or contact an
authorized Mercedes-Benz Center.
Using engine oils and oil filters of specification
other than those expressly required
for the Maintenance System
vehicles), or changing of oil and oil filter
at change intervals longer than those
called for by the Maintenance System
vehicles) will result in engine damage
not covered by the Mercedes-Benz
Limited Warranty.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsOwnersManuals/

How helpful is that right...??!!....Wouldn't it be nice if they just told you what you were supposed to put in it..??? Hopefully you have your 'Factory Approved Service Products pamphlet' to tell you what to use.

However it's my understanding that you must make sure that you use Diesel compatible Oils in a diesel car.

Yes, very helpful. Now its saying "Observe Waiting Time" , so i will check it again after about 45min. I called the dealership, and they said this car needs a special type of oil, that has to be "low ash", so I'm just going to get some at the dealership tomorrow. BTW what oil do use in your car? since we both have the same cars, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Factory Approved Service Manual lists the following:

Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40
Pennzoil European Formula 5W-30
Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30
ELF Excellium 229.5 5W-30

All listed as 229.5 under MB Sheet.

Myself, I stick with Mobil 1 - Can't find Diesel compatible oils in regular autoparts stores. Have to get it from the dealer or a European specialty shop. Lots of $$$$ always fun. Fortunately we don't have to change it too often in these cars. Although, I'm personally not convinced about changing every 10-12k miles. That makes me very nervous. I'm moe of a 5-7.5k kind of guy. I suppose it comes from years of owning older cars and changing every 3k with conventional oil.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
There was a web site that listed the MB Sheet and approved oils that was online, however it has been offline for some time. I have it archived here for reference

http://www.nexttechnology.us/mb/oil.html - it should give you all the information you need. You should be able to use the 229.5 oil in your CDI, and you would probably need to get it at the dealer. They do have strict oil requirements and require synthetic.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
I thought that the diesels needed 229.51 oils:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...nt_action=show

Don't own a diesel, so I'm not an expert.

Regards,
paul...
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by paulv
I thought that the diesels needed 229.51 oils:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...nt_action=show

Don't own a diesel, so I'm not an expert.

Regards,
paul...
Bluetecs or engines with SCR need 229.51. A CDI should be able to use 229.5.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
X72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Accord
As far as the eratic messages, I find that as the oil ages in my car (E320 gasoline engine) I can get the eratic messages. Instead of getting the oil level sensor changed, I bought a dipstick for the car so I can check the oil level with a dipstick and not have to rely on the sensor solely. You need to know the correct level though for your engine to use the dipstick tool.

http://www.baumtools.com/pdf/mb_dipsticks_dash_fan.pdf
Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by WRC7732
Factory Approved Service Manual lists the following:

Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40
Pennzoil European Formula 5W-30
Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30
ELF Excellium 229.5 5W-30

All listed as 229.5 under MB Sheet.

Myself, I stick with Mobil 1 - Can't find Diesel compatible oils in regular autoparts stores. Have to get it from the dealer or a European specialty shop. Lots of $$$$ always fun. Fortunately we don't have to change it too often in these cars. Although, I'm personally not convinced about changing every 10-12k miles. That makes me very nervous. I'm moe of a 5-7.5k kind of guy. I suppose it comes from years of owning older cars and changing every 3k with conventional oil.

so you woudn't recommed me waiting the 15,000km. I to feel a little nervous about waiting 15,000km for an oil change. How about changing it every 7500km ?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by 99E320_Bilal
so you woudn't recommed me waiting the 15,000km. I to feel a little nervous about waiting 15,000km for an oil change. How about changing it every 7500km ?
Well I work in miles my self, but essentially yes. I just don't feel comfortable with the thought of 12k-15k miles between oil changes. I think 7500 on this type of oil is probably conservative, and when playing with engines that cost as much as these ones do, I'd say being conservative is the best way to go.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
There was a web site that listed the MB Sheet and approved oils that was online, however it has been offline for some time.
Not really.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9511
Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Bluetecs or engines with SCR need 229.51. A CDI should be able to use 229.5.
DPF makes the requirement 229.51, not SCR.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
The lower digit in oil ratings refer to winter viscosity (0w-40) - If you're in a cold temp area, I'd recommend going with 0w-40 rather than 5w-30 ... Also, use MB fleece filter, I found that was far better than other oil filters ($17 at dealership here in US) - Also, you want your car to last 300k kms ? Change oil at 5k kms until after the 3rd change when your oil will stay of 'honey like' color (my car did), then you can increase the interval as long as it doesn;t discolorize IMO - My wife tells me I'm crazy, but trust me, my engine whistles now Alhamdolillah!