E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'03 E500 - Car dies every 6-8 weeks or so

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
'03 E500 - Car dies every 6-8 weeks or so

I bought this from a fellow member jimmydagreek back in '08. Starting in '09, I experienced repeated issues. Every so often, the car failed to start. It could never quite turn over. I'd get a malfunction message (electrical consumers turned off, etc.) An MB tech came out to jump start it many times during the year. After that, it would run fine for a month or two, then die again, seemingly randomly. It might have been the headlights once or twice, but that's unlikely...I'm careful with that. Certainly, that couldn't explain 10 times in a year.

There were also some other electrical oddities that appeared randomly, usually while driving.

All the lights on the instrument panel would flash on momentarily, and then go off. Once or twice, this was accompanied by a momentary cessation of the A/C.

The actuators in the seats have always been wonky, groping and grabbing even when they shouldn't. One time, the passenger seat started bulging so badly that I heard a pop somewhere, as if the leather or some fabric had been busted.

The remote door lock/unlock has never really worked for me (occasionally only)...I always had to touch the handle or press the button to unlock/lock. Now, even this doesn't always work unless it's the driver's door.

I've brought it into a local shop down here (MBZ motors in Winnetka, Ca) to try a couple of things. The first time, he replaced some part (timing circuit? forgetting the name...), and just a couple of weeks ago, he swapped the voltage regulator. Since then, the car hasn't died, but it usually takes longer for that to happen anyway. However, last night, I did notice the instrument panel flashing, and the rear cabin ceiling lights came on for a minute (and the doors locked at this time) while on the highway.

Any ideas? Both batteries were replaced shortly before I bought the car. What could be draining them?

I think I might have to bring this thing into a dealership for a closer look. Will they typically run some diagnostics for free if you complain of a problem? I've never even talked to a dealership since owning the car. I have barely over a month left on the extended warranty.

Any input is much appreciated, thank you.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out my thread here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...r-console.html

it might have something in common with your problems. I didn't notice any malfunctioning electronics though, just the blinking console lights before all hell broke loose.

I did notice the entire instrument cluster flash, but it only happened occasionally and I thought it was just the system changing from day/night mode (even though it sometimes flashed in the middle of the afternoon).
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM

n/a
thanks for the response. damn. lol @ these ****ing electronic POS cars. i'd want to murder someone, and still might.

ah well, i had fair warning before buying it. at least it looks nice.

so, you had the crank sensor, an upper control panel module (whatever that is), and the voltage regulator replaced? my issues seem only partially related to yours. luckily, i've never had a serious issue while driving.

what year and model is yours?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by jackangel2
thanks for the response. damn. lol @ these ****ing electronic POS cars. i'd want to murder someone, and still might.

so, you had the crank sensor, an upper control panel module (whatever that is), and the voltage regulator replaced? my issues seem only partially related to yours. luckily, i've never had a serious issue while driving.

You are right they do look nice sitting in the yard with grass growing around them. Sometimes they are referred to as yard cars. Could never figure why the 2 seater MB was parked in high grass for years. Guess now I know.. no electrics. UMMM Katrina took it away after sitting for 10 or so years.

I agree. There is no need for the complexity. If airplanes were built like these cars electrical / computer systems we would all be looking up!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is an 03 E500. I think the electronic repairs were not related to my crank sensor problem. They just saw that those modules were malfunctioned and decided to blame the problems on that since the repair costs more. Unless all the low voltage codes they said they saw were what eventually caused the crank sensor to fail

A couple of months ago I was probably where you are now... all of these bizarre electrical issues - blinking console panels, electronic consumer shut off, flashing dashboard/COMMAND backlight - I was just living with them (and trickle charging my battery every night) for probably 2-3 months before the engine shut off and I had to take it in for service.

I replaced both batteries (luckily my friend is a mechanic at BMW and he got me two batteries off a 7-series for free). The smaller battery I got @ Wal-Mart. I was looking into replacing the BCU as some of the threads suggested, but good thing I was dragging my feet as it turned out not to be any of those things.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
Your car is still under warranty, then take it to the dealer before the warranty expires. If it's under warranty, why wasting time & money going to the indy MB shop. You get all these services & repairs done for free at the dealer.

Last edited by SZMB; 02-16-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM

n/a
Originally Posted by SZMB
Your car is still under warranty, then take it to the dealer before the warranty expires. If it's under warranty, why wasting time & money going to the indy MB shop. You get all these services & repairs done for free at the dealer.
that's a fair question. i actually haven't paid a dime for the work that the indy shop has done.

i haven't dealt with a dealership since buying the car, but now that you bring it up...is there no issue with the fact that it's an aftermarket/3rd party warranty?

can i really bring it in, for a diagnostic, at the least, without paying a penny? the only issue is whether or not the problems, whatever they are, will be covered by the warranty.

if so...yeah, i'm a moron (probably what you said in your post before editing it).
Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
I thought you have the extended warranty covered by MB and not a third party warranty. In that case, I suggest you to call your warranty company to find out if the services can be done by dealer under warranty.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM

n/a
I just called MB Valencia. I was told that if the results of a diag show that covered parts need to be replaced, then the diag fee will be covered. Otherwise, it's $135/hr. I asked her if she'd make an exception, see what she can do, etc...she said she'll call me back.

I'll check my schedule of coverage at home to see if they cover straight diagnostic work, separate of any repair work done.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
I just called MB Valencia. I was told that if the results of a diag show that covered parts need to be replaced, then the diag fee will be covered. Otherwise, it's $135/hr. I asked her if she'd make an exception, see what she can do, etc...she said she'll call me back.

I'll check my schedule of coverage at home to see if they cover straight diagnostic work, separate of any repair work done.
that policy sounds standard. Now's a good time to start building a relationship with your SA. In the future he/she will be more likely to let minor things like diag fees slide