E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Burning oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 e550
Burning oil

I just purchased a 2007 E550 w/ 52,000 miles and was wondering if it was normal for these cars to burn oil. I've put about 3000 miles on the car and it needs a quart of oil...is this normal?

I also have a 2005 BMW 330i w/ 75,000 miles and a 2002 BMW M3 w/ 92,000 miles which also burns about a quart of oil around every 8,000 miles. Do european vehicles just burn oil? I first thought it was a BMW issue!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Do you have a dipstick to insure that
A: The car was at or near full of oil when you purchased it ?

B: It really is 1 qt low?

The reason I ask is that the sensor that displays oil level on the FSS can be erratic.

I don't think oil consumption is a normal problem on this board.

If I were you I would wait until I had an oil change, making sure that the full capacity was added and then monitor it from there.

Unless you have a dipstick, all oil consumption information is questionable.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:11 PM

2007 e550
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn

The reason I ask is that the sensor that displays oil level on the FSS can be erratic.

If I were you I would wait until I had an oil change, making sure that the full capacity was added and then monitor it from there.

I drove it for a week when I just bought it and noticed the "check engine oil on next fuel fill"...or something like that on the cluster. I had to put an entire quart of oil in to reach the full line on the dip stick.
I didn't think it would be a problem because I assumed it wasn't topped off from the dealership when I purchased it.
3000 miles later, the warning light is on again but I haven't checked the level yet.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
You have an advantage over me. I have an older model and it has no dipstick. I purchased an aftermarket one but it cannot be left in the block with the motor running.
Certainly it could be a consumption problem but I would look for a leak first. The V-8 is pretty robust and I doubt that it was abused to the point of excessive wear. Check around the filter and the oil plug. After that it could be a sending unit or (hopefully not) a rear main seal. One quart / 3000 miles is more of an image problem than an actual one. I am sure that you would rather not top off three quarts of expensive oil between changes.
If you have a garage or carport, put a piece of cardboard down and park over it for a couple of weeks. If it is a leak, it will show up. I have added a quart between changes once and I am pretty sure it was burned so I can empathize with you. Still on an American car, you would not get any face time with an SA regarding a complaint like that.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
my expirerence has been no, i have never added any oil between oil changes.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn

I would recommend you change the oil asap to MB approved oil. I use 0w40 Mobile 1 European formula. Also use fleece filters. Make sure the crankcase is filled properly on the change. Then do an evaluation for oil consumption.

You have too many questions unanswered.

1) What oil was used
2) Was it full
3) Do you have any leaks

If the wrong oil is used it is possible to have higher than normal consumption.

My 2003 E500 with 95,000 miles using the M1 0w40/fleece runs 13,000 miles between service and never needs oil.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I have talked to my shop foreman about this very same subject, on my E63. It was consuming oil, and I thought that same thing, maybe it wasn't topped off in the beginning. He said that Mercedes when breaking them in can consume up to two quarts within 5000 miles, and he's a Master AMG mechanic. But a car with 52K shouldn't consume that amount, I'm not going to say that you have a problem. But consider piston oil rings, oil pan gasket leaks. I recommend getting an oil change, and then fill the oil to the correct level. Then you will know for sure if you have a problem or not. Check the block for oil leaks, check the ground where you park for spots of oil, remove the engine belly pan to see if any oil is collecting in the pan. Just my .02 cents, good luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Yuille36
I have talked to my shop foreman about this very same subject, on my E63. It was consuming oil, and I thought that same thing, maybe it wasn't topped off in the beginning. He said that Mercedes when breaking them in can consume up to two quarts within 5000 miles, and he's a Master AMG mechanic. But a car with 52K shouldn't consume that amount, I'm not going to say that you have a problem. But consider piston oil rings, oil pan gasket leaks. I recommend getting an oil change, and then fill the oil to the correct level. Then you will know for sure if you have a problem or not. Check the block for oil leaks, check the ground where you park for spots of oil, remove the engine belly pan to see if any oil is collecting in the pan. Just my .02 cents, good luck.
If you check my post above you will see he basically said exactly what I covered. So now you have a twofer agreement and you can make a more informed decision.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 PM

2007 e550
Sorry guys...false alarm. I finally had a chance to check my oil level and it was full. I'm not sure why the warning on the cluster told me to check my oil level but it is full. Thanks for all your input.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by PHDZINE
I'm not sure why the warning on the cluster told me to check my oil level but it is full.
If your engine # is below 673486 (enter VIN here http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng) the oil level switch may be malfunctioning - mention DTB S-B-18.00/37f if you want a copy PM email address.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by PHDZINE
Sorry guys...false alarm. I finally had a chance to check my oil level and it was full. I'm not sure why the warning on the cluster told me to check my oil level but it is full. Thanks for all your input.
No problem ,, that's called a learning experience and we all do it.

I learned as an engineer years ago. Get all the data possible,, then verify what is suppose to happen and what is not.

From what I understand (haven't done it) changing the oil level sensor means pulling the oil pan.