Long term storage help...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
Question Long term storage help...

My rents 2006 E320 CDI may be left in a garage for 6-10 months. How should the battery/car be maintained? .... Thoughts?

The dealer said to disconnect the battery, but didnt know what one to disconnect. The one in the trunk or under the hood.

Last edited by KosherBenz; 06-11-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
I use a battery trickle charger for my motorcycle since I don't use it much. Just get a bit bigger one, like the ones that are used a lot for motorhomes, etc. That way, you do not have to disconnect the battery at all, just leave the charger plugged in and it will keep the battery charged. Attach it to the battery in the trunk. They are like $20 on ebay.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
The service advisor specifically said not to use a trickle charger.... any insight?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
It would not make sense to disconnect only the SBC battery, the main battery after all gets drained when the car is parked, the SBC battery is already disconnected with a relay and only discharges from internal leak.

If batteries are disconnected, charging would not be need and at most could be useful every few months.

If the batteries are left connected, a good trickle charger should be used (my opinion against the SA opinion). This should be a high quality charger that does not overcharge the battery. Also it should be one that does not need to be initialised after an electricity break, some do (if breaks are likely/possible). Easy to test, connect the charger, unplug the mains cable for some time and connect again (even one that has charge mode selections, should maintain settings with power from the battery, which is OK for periods that electricity breaks can take).
Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Like suggested get a trickle charger but make sure its the kind that can plug into the cigarette lighter. That way you just plug in the trickle charger into the AC outlet and plug the other other end into the cigarette lighter to keep the battery levels maintained. Also I would not leave the car with a considerable amount of fuel in the tank. Fuel does start to "decompose" (I'm sure there is a better/more technical word for that) and also less fuel puts less weight on your rear suspension (I'm not sure if this last bit if advise is relevant or just makes me feel better psychologically ). Give your SA a call and see what he recommends.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:42 PM

E320 CDI
how about the diesel fuel in the tank? He should add some diesel stabilizer. Fill up the whole tank too.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
fwiw, I've stored many cars before. My Porsche just recently sat for about 9 months.

Here's what I do:

1) Inflate the tires to around 50 psi to keep them from getting flat spots (or buy a set of tire cradles: warning, they aren't cheap.)

2) Put fuel in the tank and add some Stabil (or other brand); drive it for a few miles to mix up the additive with the fuel.

3) Cover it if you feel it will get crud on it; otherwise it's not really necessary in a dry and clean garage.

4) Run a battery tender on the battery; either take the battery out and run a tender or leave it in the car. Be aware that codes might set when battery is off. But be sure to keep it charged up either way; batteries really shouldn't be allowed to go dead. fwiw, I leave it in the car and run the cables directly to the battery. Many cigarette lighters don't operate when the ignition is off. Also be sure to use a power strip so that no surge might run through the line. Hopefully somebody can check on the house/garage to make sure things are okay. I highly recommend Ctek tenders as they are high quality and idiot proof.

5) Put a plastic tarp under the car if the garage floor weeps any moisture.

6) Put mothballs under the car if you think the garage might have rodents (or you can buy Coyote Pee pellets which keep away rodents.)

Main issues with storage are rodents nesting and eating insulation off electrical wires, fuel in the tank getting sticky and gummy, tires flat spotting, and batteries going dead.

If you do the above, the car will be fine, trust me.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
All good suggestions, I will pass this info on to her! Thanks all!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Hey Evan, long time no post...what's it been, about 8 months?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
give or take...