Pano Roof Stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Pano Roof Stuck

so on my way back on the freeway tonight, i had my sunroof open. go to close it to make a phone call and starts making this funny noise and now it won't close all the way. it's stops with about 2 inches open, but let's me close the cover i don't think there is anything stuck in the rails (but could be wrong) and the motor still works since when i open it it's fine, but when i start closing it, it makes some weird clicking noise and won't close all the way.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

forgot to write: my main concern right now is at least just to get it fully closed if possible. anyone know a way?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Look at the wind deflector arms, maybe they cracked and are jamming rood from closing...Fairly cheap replacement cost if thats all it is.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by gaazmon
forgot to write: my main concern right now is at least just to get it fully closed if possible. anyone know a way?
Can you use the cranking tool supplied to close it? (Not that I know what piece of plastic the crank hole is located behind in my car either.)
Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well this morning, after letting it sit overnight, i opened it a little and was able to close it all the way (or so it seems visually) and it makes this clanking noise if you hold the close button also, it won't let me close the cover now. so idk, i'm just going to take it to my indy shop when i get the chance.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Well this morning, after letting it sit overnight, i opened it a little and was able to close it all the way (or so it seems visually) and it makes this clanking noise if you hold the close button also, it won't let me close the cover now. so idk, i'm just going to take it to my indy shop when i get the chance.
Does it tilt up okay? Does it make the noise if you tilt it up? Maybe it's the motor? Never heard about motors going bad, but
Old 08-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Pano Roof Stuck

Hey gaazmon,

I experienced this issue several months ago. My issue was the black levers/arms attached just beneath the pana roof tracks had snap away and/or had broken restricting full operation of the roof. These track arm levers each have a plastic black cover over each lever and appears to become dry and snap upwards. I unscrewed the (2) screws holding the track arms in place and repaired by securing small plastic ties around each lever arm and resecured them by screwing them back onto the track rail. If this is your issue I hope this information is helpful or you can PM me for other details.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 220S
Does it tilt up okay? Does it make the noise if you tilt it up? Maybe it's the motor? Never heard about motors going bad, but
no, it won't tilt up and it makes the noise when you try and tilt up

Originally Posted by platinumblue
Hey gaazmon,

I experienced this issue several months ago. My issue was the black levers/arms attached just beneath the pana roof tracks had snap away and/or had broken restricting full operation of the roof. These track arm levers each have a plastic black cover over each lever and appears to become dry and snap upwards. I unscrewed the (2) screws holding the track arms in place and repaired by securing small plastic ties around each lever arm and resecured them by screwing them back onto the track rail. If this is your issue I hope this information is helpful or you can PM me for other details.
i'll look into this as well. thanks everyone.