E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

City Fuel Consumption Revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
City Fuel Consumption Revisited

I have been back and forth with both my dealer and this board regarding this dilemma.

According to most members who replied to an earlier posting, city gas mileage seems to run a consistent 19mpg. As many of you know, 16mpg is the number posted on the window sticker.

I am getting a consistent 11mpg. Live in LA. No "fierce" driving or blarring AC use.

At first, I relied on the dash fuel consumption computer. When I talked to the dealer about it, the response was the computer "is not accurate...our experience is that mileage runs double to what the computer reads." I also referrenced this board and was told LA city driving is more demanding than other cities.

Naturally, I manually calculated fuel consumption and came up with a number that was ".2" mpg off from the computer. Obviously no problem there.

So if there is anyone out there who does a lot of localized city driving, I would love some feedback. Still hard to imagine that the mileage would be so far off from the manufacturer's posted number. My experience has always been that these numbers tend to be lower than actual, not the other way around.

Thanks,

LC
Old 04-18-2003, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: City Fuel Consumption Revisited

Originally posted by Leslie
I have been back and forth with both my dealer and this board regarding this dilemma.

According to most members who replied to an earlier posting, city gas mileage seems to run a consistent 19mpg. As many of you know, 16mpg is the number posted on the window sticker.

I am getting a consistent 11mpg. Live in LA. No "fierce" driving or blarring AC use.

At first, I relied on the dash fuel consumption computer. When I talked to the dealer about it, the response was the computer "is not accurate...our experience is that mileage runs double to what the computer reads." I also referrenced this board and was told LA city driving is more demanding than other cities.

Naturally, I manually calculated fuel consumption and came up with a number that was ".2" mpg off from the computer. Obviously no problem there.

So if there is anyone out there who does a lot of localized city driving, I would love some feedback. Still hard to imagine that the mileage would be so far off from the manufacturer's posted number. My experience has always been that these numbers tend to be lower than actual, not the other way around.

Thanks,

LC
hey, well averging 11 mpg is pretty bad, we usually average 22, or 23. but when we drive our car, we always let it start, then drive off after a couple of minutes. when you start up the car, the rpm's are around 2, but let that drop, then your ready to go. thats the only thing i can think of. also, since it is stop and go driving, that will reduce it, but i am not sure, there might be a hose that is leaking, or your air filter might be bad, i would ask the dealer to really check it out, because this is costing you double the money for gas. our tank costs us $45, and it wasnt even filled up all the way
Old 04-18-2003, 02:14 PM

2013 S550
Nearly all of my driving is around town, short trips of a few miles. One way to work is ~ 7 miles. I have a tendancy to drive what may be termed agressively, although I'm much better than in my younger days. I'll hop on the loop or a freeway if I'm in a real hurry, but not that often (and again typically never more than 5 - 10 miles). I run the A/C always, abeit pretty low (so far, but that'll change in the next couple of weeks). I average ~ 14.5 miles per gallon.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:37 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
I am averaging right at 15 mpg with a steady mix of 75/25 city hwy. I have to admit "goosing " it a fair bit and a/c is almost always on. I am not worried. A road trip driven at 65-70 mph earned 23 mph. Car we replaced got 16mpg on road 12mpg in town.

Got another vehicle that gets 8mpg on a good day, so this one seems lite anyway. I guess it's all in your persective. My secretary has a Toyota Hybrid of some sort and claims 45mpg.....
Old 04-18-2003, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I'm a realtor, and most of my driving is pretty brutal on gas mileage. I drive a block and a half to my office and I stop. I restart the car and go a half a mile and stop. I restart the car and go two blocks and stop. I restart the car and go a block. Etc., etc.--with zillions of stop signals along the way. You get the picture. My average speed is about 14 miles per hour on a typical run. My dash mileage calculator shows that I'm pretty consistently getting about 14 mpg to 14.5 mpg, and I'm thrilled to get that much with the kind of driving I do. I can't imagine getting any less than I'm getting.

I consistently get over 28 mpg when I do non-rush-hour freeway driving. Again according to the dash mileage calculator.

Last edited by rickyfanmdr; 04-18-2003 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:12 AM

'03 E320
I have been averaging 23-24 mpg in the 3.2L, This is with 60% freeway, 40% city driving. Worst case with 100% city is about 16, best case has been interstate road trip which resulted in 28 mpg.
My city driving is not as intermitent as others have reported.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
OK guys here is mine....strictly city driving

Just topped-off with 16.196 liters with the tripmeter showing 89 Km. That works out to 5.495 Km/liter or 18.198 Ltrs/100 Kms. whichever way you want to read it. Not exactly economy car standards, but who really cares. :o

Still taking it easy....breaking it in.

Last edited by benggolf; 04-19-2003 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:27 AM
Almost a Member!

Appreciate all

I am grateful for everyone's comments.

LC
Old 04-21-2003, 01:58 AM

e500
i drive 390 miles in a week. then my tank becomes empty and refill it every sunday.