E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fixed engine ticking/dieseling sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 E55
Fixed engine ticking/dieseling sound

Thanks to many of you on the board I took my E500 into the dealer today to fix what appears to be this common problem of engine ticking/dieseling noise. I highly encourage anyone who hasn't done this to bring yours in as well. Its a world of difference. What's interesting in my case is that I told the service rep that I was sure the fix was the motor mounts as many here on the board have described. However, in reading the service report it appears as if they did not want to believe it at first. They replaced the v-belt, then drove the car and the noise was still there. Then it describes how the exhaust system was "realigned and tightened", drove it again and still the noise. Finally the motor mounts were replaced, and "the noise was gone". Could have saved themselves 2.1 hours of labor (per their invoice) on the belts and exhaust if they would have listened to all of you! And I even gave them the service bulletin number reference for the motor mounts.

Also, I am going to Powerchips in Santa Monica on Wednesday for their ECU upgrade, windows tinted Thursday and will be stopping by D2Technik on Wednesday as well to further check out their lowering capability on the E500...
Old 04-21-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Call me cynical if you want, but I have seen this befuddlement in a surprisingly high number of warranty repair situations. I think that since it is clearly a warrant item, the dealer milks MB (in this case) for a few extra hours and can conveniently claim they were trying to avoid the "big" repair..... I havd an experiance where a Chev dealer spent a lot of time on our Suburban only to finally decide the problem was a bad battery connect....Give me a break... I told them that when I dropped the car off.

Just my .02 worth
Old 04-21-2003, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
EPowers, your car looks really sharp!

The dealer has ordered the replacement engine mounts for mine. Still waiting of the mounts to arrive. Glad to hear that your engine noise problem has been successfully rectified with the new mounts.

BTW, what is the production month on your car?
Old 04-22-2003, 02:32 AM

e500
ok i have the same problem as you, not only that the other problem with the brakes, looks like its time for the dealer, and also, my tweeters on the driver side is falling off, and the back ceiling where the parktronic thing is, is falling off too, i think it needs some more glue
Old 04-22-2003, 05:47 AM

Production Date

I'm actually very interested in the production date b/c I've been to two dealerships in the LA region and both said that the noise were normal. One saying that it was the shutoff valves and when i mentioned the motor mount, the Tech said that since mine were new bought in March they should have fixed that problem already. Guess i need to go yell at them again....

EPower: NICE car!!~~ was wondering what exhaust you have and if you don't mind me asking where and how much you got them for... thanx..
Old 04-22-2003, 10:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 E55
Re: Production Date

Originally posted by phillyen
I'm actually very interested in the production date b/c I've been to two dealerships in the LA region and both said that the noise were normal. One saying that it was the shutoff valves and when i mentioned the motor mount, the Tech said that since mine were new bought in March they should have fixed that problem already. Guess i need to go yell at them again....

EPower: NICE car!!~~ was wondering what exhaust you have and if you don't mind me asking where and how much you got them for... thanx..
I'll check on the production date...my wife has the car out (scary!). I bought the car on March 27 at MB Laguna Nigel in Orange County, and I think they had it on the lot 12 days when I bought it, so it was a newer production date car. If you can get down to Laguna Nigel and ask for Tom in Service I am sure he will replace the mounts. I also know that Fletcher Jones in Newport has fixed the problem.
As for the exhaust, they were fully custom made by a guy I know in Orange County at Santa Margarita Muffler (Dominic). He used Magnaflow exhausts and tips. He did an outstanding job, and it was cheap...less than $600 for parts and labor. Can't promise the same price for anyone else because he does alot of work for me, but considering any other solution is at least $1,400 for the parts alone, it is a great deal. He really is an expert at what he does, and does alot of work for Magnaflow just up the street from him.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:14 PM

W211
Re: Production Date

Originally posted by phillyen

Which dealer(s) did you go to? I tried to have the motor mounts fixed at South Bay MB in Torrance and I guess their techs are incompetent or something because the noise was still there after they "worked" on it. I had to wait almost 3 weeks for the mounts to be shipped from Germany I brought the car to MB of Long Beach the week after and they had the mounts in stock and fixed the car in just a few hours. Good stuff. My car had a 12/02 production date.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:08 AM

Well i bought the car from Southbay so i took it there first... I know the sales manager pretty close so we went to talk to a tech. but he said it was just a noisy shutoff valve and told me that since my car was newly bought it shouldn't have the motor mount problem. I didn't believe so i took it to the Santa Monica dealer... going there tommorrow with the service bulletin ... if it doesn't work.. i guess i'll probably go down to Long Beach.. *sigh* this is annoying...
Old 04-25-2003, 12:05 AM

2010 E550
I think if you put your VIN # into Cargo Tracking it will still tell you when your car came over on the boat. Ought to get you close to a production date.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:04 AM

Got my car back... well they got rid of that acceleration noise.. but there is still this ticking sound from the back... but i guess thats the shutoff valve... oh well... at least its not as annoying......

btw how u check the production date.. is there like a website that allows u to enter the VIN ??
Old 04-25-2003, 09:36 AM

2010 E550
There is a site that tells you when the car came to the US on the boat and that is usually within 3 weeks of the production date. This is the site http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/Tool...king/index.jsp

If you click on "Auto" and then put in your VIN # in the space and click search it should tell you when your car was shipped. If you click on the "voyage" after that it should tell you all the ports the ship stopped in and when.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
EPower, What AMG wheels are on your car? Also, curious to know if you like the wheels better than the 17s. Thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 09:00 PM

R129 SL500
I'm having some ticking problems, aong with other problems that might be motor mount related. Could you please read my thread?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...57#post1329757

Thanks