E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I just felt so stupid for paying $90 for my oil change buy a drill liquid pump kit!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
I just felt so stupid for paying $90 for my oil change buy a drill liquid pump kit!

For as many years as I've owned my benz, I've always brought it in for an oil change and it typically cost me $80 to $100 depending on where i go.

I bought a new to me boat and the owner gave me a drill pump oil change kit for it so I thought what the heck, I'll try it on the benz. Snapped it onto my drill, stick one end of the tube into the dip stick hole and pump away. Total oil change time was less than 30 minutes including filters. The best part was I didn't even have to crawl under the car. A Mercedes mechanic told me that the stealer do this as well as it's even better than letting it drip because you get into the deepest part of the oil pan meaning more dirty oil comes out.

Total cost for me was $45 for the oil and $12 for the filter.
The following users liked this post:
Pinoi Ryder (05-26-2016)
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
How did you get the oil for $45 ? is it mobil 1 synthetic ?

Andy
Old 10-24-2010, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
For as many years as I've owned my benz, I've always brought it in for an oil change and it typically cost me $80 to $100 depending on where i go.

I bought a new to me boat and the owner gave me a drill pump oil change kit for it so I thought what the heck, I'll try it on the benz. Snapped it onto my drill, stick one end of the tube into the dip stick hole and pump away. Total oil change time was less than 30 minutes including filters. The best part was I didn't even have to crawl under the car. A Mercedes mechanic told me that the stealer do this as well as it's even better than letting it drip because you get into the deepest part of the oil pan meaning more dirty oil comes out.

Total cost for me was $45 for the oil and $12 for the filter.
The dealers don't use topsiders, they drain from the pan. Also AMG requires oil be drained from the pan with their motors.

For a DIY, it's okay.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
Actually, $90 is not bad, and $80 sounds a good deal for oil change.

The average price for Mobil-1 is $8 per qt. So at average of 9 quarts for a car that comes to $72. With $15 for filter all come to $87. Add tax to this, now you have it anywhere around $92 - $95. And this is not counting for your time, getting dirty, & the convenience of s/o else doing it.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
Autozone had a sale, 5 qt mobil 1 for 29.99 with free filters. bought 2 set and the 2nd one with my wife's car oil filter so it didn't turn out too bad.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Dealers do use top-siders

Originally Posted by 220S
The dealers don't use topsiders, they drain from the pan. Also AMG requires oil be drained from the pan with their motors.

For a DIY, it's okay.
I'm with you on preferring the good old drain plug, but the reality is that MB dealers do suck the oil out the top-side drain tube (where a dip stick should be). There are various reasons for this including that it is cheaper for the dealer to do (does not tie up a rack). Also, the Green movement is very powerful in Germany and they were at one time pushing to ban oil pan drain plugs on the theory that some lunk heads were just letting their oil drain drain out onto soil instead of catching it and recycling it. That did not pass, but it was another reason for politically correct companies like MB to switch to top-sider oil changes.

If MB located the drain plug properly, that is the way to go if you if you can actually get at it at home (which is not true with my E320 CDI 2006), otherwise you are stuck with the MB-recommended top-drain.

- nopcbs
Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 PM

C240
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
Autozone had a sale, 5 qt mobil 1 for 29.99 with free filters. bought 2 set and the 2nd one with my wife's car oil filter so it didn't turn out too bad.
Are you sure that oil is synthetic and "european car formula" 0w40 ... ?
I have never seen such a good deal - b/c that filter alone is $19.99 at places like autozone. hmmm!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
regular m1

0w40 syn also meets 229.5 spec
And dealers do use evac
They don't on the amg 2 piece pan.
HU7185X filter is also boxed in napa's box for less than autohausaz
Warm oil slightly oil out in 5 minutes reset the fss
you can inspect the whole car in the time you save jacking it up removing shield stripping the plug................doing it the hard way
diy on www.peachparts.com resource section diy articles bottom of page oil change #2
drill pumps work faster than topsider
mitivac with hand pump works well and holds alot.
to each his own though
Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nopcbs
I'm with you on preferring the good old drain plug, but the reality is that MB dealers do suck the oil out the top-side drain tube (where a dip stick should be). There are various reasons for this including that it is cheaper for the dealer to do (does not tie up a rack). Also, the Green movement is very powerful in Germany and they were at one time pushing to ban oil pan drain plugs on the theory that some lunk heads were just letting their oil drain drain out onto soil instead of catching it and recycling it. That did not pass, but it was another reason for politically correct companies like MB to switch to top-sider oil changes.

If MB located the drain plug properly, that is the way to go if you if you can actually get at it at home (which is not true with my E320 CDI 2006), otherwise you are stuck with the MB-recommended top-drain.

- nopcbs
fwiw, my dealer always drains from the pan. As I mentioned it's fine for a DIY. But not with an AMG. Draining the oil from the pan is the method posted officially by AMG. They do not recommend the top suck method.

You need to drain the engine oil coolers as well. There's a drain plug on the passenger side of the front oil cooler which is on a line on the right hand side of the oil cooler. And the filter needs to be emptied; There's a valve at the bottom of the filter cavity which lets the oil drain to the pan.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E320 CDI, '04 Sprinter 316 CDI
fwiw, my dealer always drains from the pan. As I mentioned it's fine for a DIY. But not with an AMG. Draining the oil from the pan is the method posted officially by AMG. They do not recommend the top suck method.

You need to drain the engine oil coolers as well. There's a drain plug on the passenger side of the front oil cooler which is on a line on the right hand side of the oil cooler. And the filter needs to be emptied; There's a valve at the bottom of the filter cavity which lets the oil drain to the pan.
Is this for Gas or Diesel engine, the oil cooler drain plug and filter?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
fwiw, my dealer always drains from the pan. As I mentioned it's fine for a DIY. But not with an AMG. Draining the oil from the pan is the method posted officially by AMG. They do not recommend the top suck method....
Why are AMG cars drained by the dealer, and non-AMG are not.....?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gnma
Why are AMG cars drained by the dealer, and non-AMG are not.....?
The topsider gets most oil, but apparently leaves a quart and a half in the oil cooler. I know AMG (and my dealer) recommends draining from the pan. Maybe for this reason.

If you're doing short OCIs then it's not an issue to use a topside suck, imho. What's a quart or two going to do and especially if you use any add oil in-between. But if you're doing long OCIs (like MB's 10k), draining it all is probably smart.

Anyway, my dealer drains from the pan on AMGs and also non-AMGs. Since most people do an oil change as part of a service, the car is on the rack anyway (inspection, etc..) I'm sure it varies from dealer to dealer, and if you're doing only an oil change and nothing else, then they may use a topsider. And for a DIY with shorter OCIs then why not I guess, since lifting the car can be a PITA.

fwiw, my dealer is one of MB's AMG Performance Centers.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 PM

2007 W211 E350
Originally Posted by Basa
Actually, $90 is not bad, and $80 sounds a good deal for oil change.

The average price for Mobil-1 is $8 per qt. So at average of 9 quarts for a car that comes to $72. With $15 for filter all come to $87. Add tax to this, now you have it anywhere around $92 - $95. And this is not counting for your time, getting dirty, & the convenience of s/o else doing it.
you're right on the money. I changed my oil the other day and it was just that. Mobile-1 European formula, and the fleece oil filter are a lot more expensive than people think. I'd rather just have the dealership do it for $20 more what i would pay just for the oil and filter (maybe)... it's easier and looks better on your maintenance records i guess.

However, i am going to try the oil extraction method next time to see if it's worth all the hype.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:20 PM

E500 & ML500
Just curious, how much are the dealers charging you guys for an oil change?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 PM

C240
check w/ the dealers around

Even the dealers are all different, I am in Atlanta. Here I have asked 3-4 dealers all different rates, from $130, $110, $100, $99 or $95.

So w/ a little shopping around, you can save the time of shopping around (in person, checking auto-parts stores) for the right oil, etc. And, another $10-1x save the hassle as well. With these cars it's not just a simple unscrewing of the drain plug ... you'ld have to first remove the oil pan cover, AND the transmission pan cover (b/c they overlap), and then when you do your oil filter - often you'ld have to have the MB special tool to grab the filter housing with.

So, paying another $10 or so to avoid all these seems a better deal for me.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 AM

E500 & ML500
Originally Posted by ohlord
0w40 syn also meets 229.5 spec
And dealers do use evac
They don't on the amg 2 piece pan.
HU7185X filter is also boxed in napa's box for less than autohausaz
Warm oil slightly oil out in 5 minutes reset the fss
you can inspect the whole car in the time you save jacking it up removing shield stripping the plug................doing it the hard way
diy on www.peachparts.com resource section diy articles bottom of page oil change #2
drill pumps work faster than topsider
mitivac with hand pump works well and holds alot.
to each his own though
Since I have an oil change coming up, I decided to purchase a topsider. Due to the numerous reviews, I got the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus (8.8L capacity). I do most of the maintenace myself, so now I won't have to crawl underneath the car. Plus I can use it on my other vehicles.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i ordered as well a Mityvac 7201, $83and mann filters $13 online. Picked up some 0W40 Mobil 1 @$6.37/qt at wally world. So will be doing the oil change next weekend. Figure about $63 and my time to do the oil change. Will pay off since i do my family's cars as well. Probably every other oil change i will drain from the bottom.

Local dealer has prices of $99, $89 for oil changes and local shop that work on mercedes as it for $80
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 AM

'06 E320 CDI, '04 Sprinter 316 CDI
Originally Posted by Basa
Even the dealers are all different, I am in Atlanta. Here I have asked 3-4 dealers all different rates, from $130, $110, $100, $99 or $95.

So w/ a little shopping around, you can save the time of shopping around (in person, checking auto-parts stores) for the right oil, etc. And, another $10-1x save the hassle as well. With these cars it's not just a simple unscrewing of the drain plug ... you'ld have to first remove the oil pan cover, AND the transmission pan cover (b/c they overlap), and then when you do your oil filter - often you'ld have to have the MB special tool to grab the filter housing with.

So, paying another $10 or so to avoid all these seems a better deal for me.

I am also in the ATL, who is your favorite local dealer to use?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

benzo larenzo
i have a clk550 and change my oil every 5k-6k miles is it safe for me to remove the oil this way instead of drain plug?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 PM

2003 E320
Personally, I drain the oil from the pan on everything I own. If you think that the topsider will pull sludge out of the pan, go for it. I do not understand why ALL plugs (tranny and oil sump) are not magnetic. Such a simple feature and so helpful to capture worn ferrous metal. The filter does not have to deal with this stuff because it stays out of circulation. When you remove the plug, wipe of the fines and replace. What could that cost? $.25?

I think JC Whitney was on to something

I also believe my Nippon car has a powerful magnet in the tranny pan, Can't remember if the M-B did or did not.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

benzo larenzo
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
Personally, I drain the oil from the pan on everything I own. If you think that the topsider will pull sludge out of the pan, go for it. I do not understand why ALL plugs (tranny and oil sump) are not magnetic. Such a simple feature and so helpful to capture worn ferrous metal. The filter does not have to deal with this stuff because it stays out of circulation. When you remove the plug, wipe of the fines and replace. What could that cost? $.25?

I also believe my Nippon car has a powerful magnet in the tranny pan, Can't remember if the M-B did or did not.
i have a very powerfull magnet attached to bottom my pan so it just traps the particles from going back to the circulation... you can buy those in a store.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 AM

C240
Clinton,

Originally Posted by Clinton Horn

Actually, the transmission pan does have a magnet - pretty wide and nicely designed too (about 3 inches, and has grids on it).
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM

2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
Just confirming what was already posted here.

MB of WC just did my oil change on both of my cars. Both cars received Mobil 1 5W40 at approximately $120 each. The E550 was done via top sider and the C32 was done via drain plug.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Just an update. Mityvac arrived and did the oil change on the E500 Wed nite. $60 Mobil 1 ow40, mann filter $12. It filled the mityvac up to the line with the one top block empty. So i'm guessing 8qts got drained via topside. Very clean way to change the oil. But when emptying the Mityvac to recycle the oil, the smaller hose came out of the larger hose and some oil onto my garage floor. Future will just use the one larger hose for recycling.

Also changed the air filters on the car at 42k miles. Both filters had alot of sand/gritty stuff, not too many bugs/leaves. So i guess the first owner never changed the filter or when it got CPO'd.

Slowly and surely getting to know the car more and do own maintenance whenever possible.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Works, but slow

I bought an E320 CDI (2006) last year and I ALWAYS do my oild changes with every car I own. Wanted to do it via drain plug with the Merc, too, but MB engineers made it very hard to get at the drain plug. You practically need to lift the whole car up. I said some very bad words about them when I discovered this lunacy on their part.

Anyway, ended up using my 8.8 L MityVac (bought for an I/O drive boat) and, yeah, it worked, but it did not get all the oil out (left at least a quart) and it was quite slow. Ended up going out and buying a diaphram pump unit ($115) which is supposed to work faster. Will try it next year.

Really dumb that MB makes it this hard to do a proper oil change, but they do what they want. And it is certainly not the only really dumb feature on the car.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by novae500
Just an update. Mityvac arrived and did the oil change on the E500 Wed nite. $60 Mobil 1 ow40, mann filter $12. It filled the mityvac up to the line with the one top block empty. So i'm guessing 8qts got drained via topside. Very clean way to change the oil. But when emptying the Mityvac to recycle the oil, the smaller hose came out of the larger hose and some oil onto my garage floor. Future will just use the one larger hose for recycling.

Also changed the air filters on the car at 42k miles. Both filters had alot of sand/gritty stuff, not too many bugs/leaves. So i guess the first owner never changed the filter or when it got CPO'd.

Slowly and surely getting to know the car more and do own maintenance whenever possible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just felt so stupid for paying $90 for my oil change buy a drill liquid pump kit!