E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
05 MB E320 CDI
Winter Storage

Hey all I'm putting my 2005 E320 CDI away for the winter so that's about 4-5months.

So far I've cleaned it inside and out. Cleaned my garage and layed tarp down. And I have a breathable car cover to go over it then I'll pull the tarp up over the car cover just enough to keep any rodents from getting under the car.

I've been doing a lot of searching on storing a car so I think I got most of it down.

One thing I'm not sure about is if I should pull the batteries out of the car. My plan was to pull them out and bring them inside and hook them up on a float charger in parallel. I'm concerned if I'll be faced with any problems when rehooking the batteries up like reconfiguring electronics and what not. I've been looking through the service manual and it shows a few minor things need to be resetted when reconnecting the battery.

So basically I'm asking is it safe to have both batteries removed from the vehicle for 5months? Will I have any problems when hooking them back up?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
I don't have an answer to your battery question, but I often hear about flat spots on tires from the AMG forums. Some recommend storing the car on jack stands so your tires don't develop flat spots.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Actually you don't need to raise the car if you're worried about flat spotting. You can either use tire cradles (expensive) or simply fill the tires to 50 psi. I've stored Porsches (and with low profile tires) for years doing either of those and never developed flat spotting. In addition, modern tires are more immune to flat spotting then tires from decades ago. Just put a note on the windshield to remind yourself that there's excessive tire pressure so you don't drive off later with 50 psi (or somebody else).
http://www.tirecradle.com/

I'd toss some moth ***** under the car to help deter rodents. Also tape up the exhaust tips. Rodents can destroy a car (esp the wiring) in no time.

I always prefer to leave the battery in the car. I use the Swedish CTEK brand trickle chargers and have never had any issues with the battery. The CTEKs are pretty fool proof. It's what MB and Porsche sells, but you don't need to pay the extra for a Mercedes/Porsche branded CTEK.
http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/consumer/mus-3300.aspx

Be sure to add some Stabil to the tank and drive it around for a bit to mix. Fuel can gum up over time.

Leave the parking brake off, too.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Been there, done that

I stored my 2006 E320 CDI last winter (MI). I did not use trikle chargers and neither should you. You should use battery maintainers. These are low current ( 1amp) devices that actually go to zero current when the battery is fully charged. I use two. They cost about $30-$40 each.

What I did was make the change on the fuse/relay block so that the cigar lighter is always active.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...er-always.html

This allowed me to plug one battery maintainer into the cigar lighter to take care of the battery in the trunk, the main battery.

The other small reserve battery is under the hood on the right near the firewall. I disconnected the ground on that one and hooked up the second battery maintainer to it.

I see no point in removing either battery. I am not sure if the reserve battery is in circuit with the ignition off after you make the change in the fuse/relay box. It could be checked, but I did not do it. If it is, you could, with slight risk, maintain both batteries through the cigar lighter socket.

I pumped up the tires to 40 psi, but I run that all the time, anyway.

Funny thing is this spring the car fired up IMMEDIATELY, as if it had just sat an hour.

Good luck and have no fear. Been storing cars through winter for decades with no problems.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by steeven001
Hey all I'm putting my 2005 E320 CDI away for the winter so that's about 4-5months.

So far I've cleaned it inside and out. Cleaned my garage and layed tarp down. And I have a breathable car cover to go over it then I'll pull the tarp up over the car cover just enough to keep any rodents from getting under the car.

I've been doing a lot of searching on storing a car so I think I got most of it down.

One thing I'm not sure about is if I should pull the batteries out of the car. My plan was to pull them out and bring them inside and hook them up on a float charger in parallel. I'm concerned if I'll be faced with any problems when rehooking the batteries up like reconfiguring electronics and what not. I've been looking through the service manual and it shows a few minor things need to be resetted when reconnecting the battery.

So basically I'm asking is it safe to have both batteries removed from the vehicle for 5months? Will I have any problems when hooking them back up?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Yeah, the CTEK I use is not a trickle charger, it's a battery maintainer. I simply used the (incorrect) term of trickle charger. The link I posted to CTEK is a real maintainer. I have been storing Porsches for years with no issues, either. Some folks do tend to get too worried. My uncle had several old classics and just parked them in the garage for 5-8 years at a time with no preparation. They were fine in the end. One was a BMW Bavaria and it fired up with a jump start after 7 years just sitting. Oil change, fuel tank flush, tune up, new battery, and new tries and it was fine.

Originally Posted by nopcbs
I stored my 2006 E320 CDI last winter (MI). I did not use trikle chargers and neither should you. You should use battery maintainers. These are low current ( 1amp) devices that actually go to zero current when the battery is fully charged. I use two. They cost about $30-$40 each.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 PM

05 MB E320 CDI
I pumped the tires up to 44psi and I'm not putting the car on jackstands modern day tires don't really flat spot.

I'll look into getting another battery maintainer for the Aux battery at the front.

I kinda just wanted to pull the batteries out so I can save some money instead of buying another battery maintainer. And also our winters go down to -30 degrees celcius sometimes so thought it would be bettery to have the batteries indoor.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 PM
dwh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
Does anyone know if I dont make the change at the fuse box, do both batteries charge when I change the trunk battery in my 05 E320 CDI?
thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 PM

05 MB E320 CDI
I took my car out of storage on April 23, 2011. All I did was drop the tire pressure and changed the engine oil for piece of mind. It started right up and I've put almost 500kms on it since then with no problems.

I end up using only one battery maintainer and that was the CTEK one. You do not need 2. If you hook up the positive side of the charger to the main battery positive and the ground (negative) side to the body ground of the battery control unit (N82 unti right next to main battery) the battery control unit will see that you are trying to charge the batteries and it will charge both batteries only when needed.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 AM

2006 E320 CDI
What is your basis for this statement?

Did you measure the voltage at the (disconnected) leads of the aux. battery?

I tend to doubt that what you say is true as I did check the voltage at the disconnected leads of the aux. battery, after I made the jumper block change to make the cigar lighter active at all times and plugged a mainainer into the cgar lighter socket. There was no voltage at the aux. battery leads.

I use two maintainers and I know that works great (two winters experience).

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by steeven001
I took my car out of storage on April 23, 2011. All I did was drop the tire pressure and changed the engine oil for piece of mind. It started right up and I've put almost 500kms on it since then with no problems.

I end up using only one battery maintainer and that was the CTEK one. You do not need 2. If you hook up the positive side of the charger to the main battery positive and the ground (negative) side to the body ground of the battery control unit (N82 unti right next to main battery) the battery control unit will see that you are trying to charge the batteries and it will charge both batteries only when needed.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
Just curious as to where you all live that you put your CDI away for the winter? I love mine in winter the best. Love when I can go out with a turn of the key and she starts at -1 degrees F. Love the purr of the CDI engine in the snow. I can understand if you live in the rust belt, IE Michigan, Upstate NY. Here are some links to some of videos of my CDI in the winter

http://youtu.be/RKtANYplsoE

http://youtu.be/Qpn520CqsgU
Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM

05 MB E320 CDI
Originally Posted by nopcbs
Did you measure the voltage at the (disconnected) leads of the aux. battery?

I tend to doubt that what you say is true as I did check the voltage at the disconnected leads of the aux. battery, after I made the jumper block change to make the cigar lighter active at all times and plugged a mainainer into the cgar lighter socket. There was no voltage at the aux. battery leads.

I use two maintainers and I know that works great (two winters experience).

- nopcbs
Key words: only when needed

I don't know how it works through the cigar lighter but from what I've read in the repair manual that's how it works when hooked up to the battery control unit. I measured voltage at the aux battery and got nothing either because the battery was still fully charged. Once you put a load on the battery and take some of the charge away then it began to charge.

Read up on the N82 Battery Control Unit.