E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Intro/Few Questions - new 08 E550 owner..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
Intro/Few Questions - new 08 E550 owner..

First just wanted to say hello and share my new purchase.. I just picked up a CPO 2008 Black on Black RWD E550 the night before thanksgiving(good night to bargain since people wanna go home for the long weekend). :-)

After doing walk arounds and driving the car here are a few questions(I've already been searching the forums for hours to find some answers just want to confirm).

1. The only thing I need to do is add the bluetooth module (seems like ebay $199 is going rate)? I found the part number from a popular thread already. Can I self program the Bluetooth to pair with the car?

2. I saw SteveML or the import guy said you can easily retrofit the butterfly armrest into the non-butterfly armrest. I couldn't find a price or any details though. Has anyone done this? Any pictures of the process? - As an alternative has anyone found a perfect little black leather pillow that covers that area up, or maybe I can have one made to spec?

3. I have voice command, is it ONLY for the radio? I only found on youtube a demo video of someone using it and they just used radio commands like "radio 955".. I've yet to get this thing to respond to anything, not even sure what it does, talks back? I will see if they can check if its active and give me a demo when I get some other things fixed.

4. The V1 display on the 2009's look awesome, does changes in the ECU/programming/electronics make this inoperable for use in the 08's, can the V1 display kits(where it shows you your radar alerts in the center dash display) only work on 09's or also work on an 08?

5. The 08 command cannot play DVD's or anything? Are there any modules or electronic upgrades worth checking out? (besides the 09 radio's $5k upgrade I saw on ebay).

6. Just want to confirm there is no way to permanently turn off the NAV voice assistance? no perm mute? you have to mute it each time when she speaks?

7. Are there defrosters in the side mirrors? I didn't see the heater logo on the glass I was just curious if they have heated side mirrors like my last cast, and how do they work? in conjunction with the front defroster? etc

8. Are the cars pre-wired for the illuminated door sills? or where do you need to tap power from?

9. I know people always say German cars have little nuances that you pick up along the way.. one of the things I do not like and have known about is the heated seats which care way to much about my ***. How do you guys go about using the seats in the E550 since they turn off? I'd of course like them to stay on longer.. no way to modify those settings? How long do they normally stay on for?

10. Is there the possibility to add a camera in reverse without to much damage?

You can respond with STFA, I couldn't care less if you feel there is enough information in the forums already, just put the number of the question next to it.

Other than that, enjoy Black Friday and Cyber Monday..

Last edited by MB4tronic; 11-26-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Excellent questions. I'm especially intersted in answers for #3, #6, and #7, and options for trofiting some type of parking assistance feature.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
1. http://wireless4mb.com/page8/page8.html E – 05/08 BT – Pairing Instructions
3. Telephone, radio, CD changer, MP3 player
6. Correct, only options are to mute each time or you can choose no fade-out for audio source
7. Exterior rear view mirrors are heated
8. No https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...installed.html
9. Level 3 will switch to 2 after 5 minutes; 2 switches to 1 in 10 minutes; 1 switches off after about 20 minutes

If you do not have a copies of OM, VCS and COMAND manuals PM email address include VIN if you want a MB datacard (initial delivery date, factory installed equipment, etc.)
Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I have an 08 E550 .. its an amazing car .. LOVE IT.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:47 PM

2008 E550
Originally Posted by Vik888
I have an 08 E550 .. its an amazing car .. LOVE IT.
Very happy so far.. but they missed a few things in the CPO..

1. Window Lock button stuck/sticky.
2. Moonroof doesn't close on auto, keeps bouncing back open in the last inch or two.
3. Keyless-Go isn't working, doesnt detect keys.
4. Voice control doesn't do anything.
5. Drivers side visor mirror is missing the cover.

I'm in Irvine/Laguna too.. do you go Laguna or Foothills for service? I live near Laguna but work near the Foothills one at the other end of Bake.

I need a good local tint shop too that carries LLumar medium.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by MB4tronic

2. Moonroof doesn't close on auto, keeps bouncing back open in the last inch or two.

I'm in Irvine/Laguna too.. do you go Laguna or Foothills for service? I live near Laguna but work near the Foothills one at the other end of Bake.

2. Sunroof needs to be cleaned & Lubed. Its bouncing back due to a percieved "obstruction".
Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
Very nice choice, I considered one before bailing out to Audi.

5. I believe the US COMAND plays DVD with MP3. For video DVDs you will need a Euro COMAND (I had one, worth the $600-$700 price).

10. Without too much damage to the car, yes. Without too much damage to the wallet, no. http://www.tvandnav2go.com/mercedes_...ifications.php

Cheers.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:44 PM

2008 E550
Originally Posted by tashakes
Very nice choice, I considered one before bailing out to Audi.

5. I believe the US COMAND plays DVD with MP3. For video DVDs you will need a Euro COMAND (I had one, worth the $600-$700 price).

10. Without too much damage to the car, yes. Without too much damage to the wallet, no. http://www.tvandnav2go.com/mercedes_...ifications.php

Cheers.
Thanks, I'm coming from 08 VW R32(most recent).. R32 was a fun car.. no issues. Also had a A4 2001.5 all modded up.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I go to FJ Newport (where I bought my car). Very happy with the level of service I get there. I take care of my SA and he takes care of me. He doesn't try to upsell crap to me.

If your car is CPO, its under warranty and all those items should be fixed.

I had Huper Optik tint installed. Beats the heck out of everything else. There is a guy named Sal that installs it in OC.

I had my V1 stealth install, sills and lowering done by Harbor Motorsports.

Car is on a maintenance program for wash/detailing. Gets weekly TLC.

LOVE IT.

Originally Posted by MB4tronic