E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Command Solution - two MBUSA letters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 11:16 AM
drb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Command Solution - two MBUSA letters

My 25APR03 letter from MBUSA says:

The retrofit is not feasible. MBUSA is offering, in full resolution of any concerns regarding their inability to provide a retrofit navigation system, the following:
$3250 New Vehicle Sales Voucher

Valid through December 31, 2003 on the purchase of any new C/E/M/S/SLK Class vehicle. AMG moels are excluded with the exception of C32, ML55 and SLK32. Dealer has details of the offer.

This letter differs from the earlier one offering $2k reimbursement or vehicle exchange.

Signed by the same MBUSA Reps. My letter repeats the all information up to enumeration of the options.....

Legacy received a letter dated 25APR03

"MYO3 E-Class Navigation / COMAND

April 25, 2003

Dear E-Class Owner,
We are contacting you regarding your 2003 E-Class and the availability of the COMAND navigation system. As you may know, certain 2003 E-Class cars were factory pre-wired for the COMAND system and we originally planned to offer this
system for later retrofit. We have since recently determined that a retrofit solution is currently not feasible.

We understand that you have been waiting for release of the COMAND system and we appreciate your patience.

Since you have pre-paid for this system as part of the purchase/lease of your vehicle and we would like to offer to you,
in full resolution of any concerns regarding our inability to provide a retrofit navigation system, one of the following compensation options:
Option 1 $2,000 cash reimbursement, or
Option 2 Exchange your current 2003 E Class vehicle for a new 2003 E-Class with COMAND (same paint, upholstery and optional equipment level as your current vehicle)

We are making this offer to owners of 2003 E-Class models who have paid $1,625 in advance for the COMAND system.
Option 2 will require ordering of a specific 2003 vehicle, which may involve a several month waiting period. There are some limitations and your 2003 vehicle provided in exchange must be operational and in at least average condition for
its age and mileage, reasonable wear and tear excepted. Your authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer will provide you with full details on this offer.

Sincerely,
Bernhard Glaser
General Manager
Product Management / Passenger Cars

Karen Makris
Department Manager
Product Management E- & S-Class"
Old 04-28-2003, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
Has anyone in California, specifically the Bay Area, heard anything or received any letter from MB? I purchased from Stead, and my salesman claims he hasn't heard anything from MB yet.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:11 PM

E500
Let me guess...

Did you purchase your vehicle? Your solution would not solve a lessee's situation.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:15 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: Let me guess...

Originally posted by e500
Did you purchase your vehicle? Your solution would not solve a lessee's situation.
If your question is directed to my post then,
1. yes I purchased.
2. These letters are from MBUSA, not me, hence MBUSA's solution.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:58 PM

Two Differing COMAND Resolution Letters

drb:

Perhaps the letter my salesman faxed me on Friday was one directed specifically to those who have leased a vehicle and the one you received is directed to those who have purchased a vehicle.
This would explain the two differing letters and the approach taken in each is better applicable to the lease situation and purchase situation respectively.

I purchased my E500. A sales voucher for $3,250 (2 x $1,625 paid for NAVI) seems less than generous, if no other financial consideration is offered to address cost of sales tax, car depreciation, Lojack, Extended warranty, etc.

One could use the Sales Voucher to buy a new 2003 or 2004 model, but then would be faced with either selling the current 2003 model or trading it in on the new 2003 or 2004. The out-of-pocket additional cost in order to obtain a new car with COMAND/DVD Navi begins to add up.

How do you see this resolution?

Legacy
Old 04-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Almost a Member!

drb... I'm confused. You are saying you got two letters. One letter has two options on it and the other letter has one option on it. Does this mean you have a total of 3 options? You can choose any one of the three options? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:18 PM
drb

Re: Two Differing COMAND Resolution Letters

Originally posted by Legacy
drb:

Perhaps the letter my salesman faxed me on Friday was one directed specifically to those who have leased a vehicle and the one you received is directed to those who have purchased a vehicle.
This would explain the two differing letters and the approach taken in each is better applicable to the lease situation and purchase situation respectively.

I purchased my E500. A sales voucher for $3,250 (2 x $1,625 paid for NAVI) seems less than generous, if no other financial consideration is offered to address cost of sales tax, car depreciation, Lojack, Extended warranty, etc.

One could use the Sales Voucher to buy a new 2003 or 2004 model, but then would be faced with either selling the current 2003 model or trading it in on the new 2003 or 2004. The out-of-pocket additional cost in order to obtain a new car with COMAND/DVD Navi begins to add up.

How do you see this resolution?

Legacy
Legacy, I too purchased my car. You are probably correct that your letter is for lease and the other is for purchases. I cannot imagine why they are so different. The saleman I spoke with this morning is conferencing to determine how tax, financing and registration fees will be handled. I would not want to buy another 03 since it has already depreciated, and I would probably pay tax, financing and registration for the same model (if not I would go for the 03 since there would be no out of pocket expense). I'd need a very good deal, at invoice, minus the voucher to go for the 04. I'm assuming my deposit is returned otherwise the voucher is half my money. The letter does not explain.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:25 PM
drb

Originally posted by bboerit
drb... I'm confused. You are saying you got two letters. One letter has two options on it and the other letter has one option on it. Does this mean you have a total of 3 options? You can choose any one of the three options? Thanks.
My post is quite clear, I received a letter and Legacy received a letter. I posted both to show all the difference. It is not stated in the letter, but one could be for purchase and the other for lease. Since I purchased, I'm assuming my letter reflects same. Legacy's letter was intercepted through his salesman (I think), and is not tied to the fact he purchased his car.

I would not conclude there are 3 options. I would conclude that if you purchased an 03 you have a voucher to do it again for another 03 or wait for an 04. It is not specified if the deposit is returned, but I suspect that it will be returned by the dealer, and MBUSA will send out the voucher. I will probably buy an 04 with the least possible cost to me unless new details emerge.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:27 PM

COMAND Resolution Letter Lease vs. Purchase

"The saleman I spoke with this morning is conferencing to determine how tax, financing and registration fees will be handled. I would not want to buy another 03 since it has already depreciated, and I would probably pay tax, financing and registration for the same model (if not I would go for the 03 since there would be no out of pocket expense). I'd need a very good deal, at invoice, minus the voucher to go for the 04. I'm assuming my deposit is returned otherwise the voucher is half my money. The letter does not explain."

From previous post by drb

I am also trying to get information on these issues. My assessment is the same as yours regarding 03 vs 04.

Legacy

Last edited by Legacy; 04-28-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:57 PM

Angry OK this option TOTALLY sucks!!!

I cannot believe this. I thought the other two options were lame. This is not a resolution. It does not resolve my issue with Nav without putting me significantly in the hole. I am now inclined to talk class action now. Jeez...I am so pissed.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:09 PM

As an aside, the language in the letter that Legacy received seems to be pointing towards owners and not lessees per se. Normally MB is very clear in mentioning lessee and owners and distinguishing between them.

I don't want to get too technical here, but first of all, it makes much more sense to offer the same alternatives to everyone and secondly, if this is not the case, then the way it is being handled is senseless. I don't get it--God I wish I had stayed away from the E purchase in November.

/end of whining
Old 04-28-2003, 03:39 PM
drb

Re: OK this option TOTALLY sucks!!!

Originally posted by monakh
I cannot believe this. I thought the other two options were lame. This is not a resolution. It does not resolve my issue with Nav without putting me significantly in the hole. I am now inclined to talk class action now. Jeez...I am so pissed.
When the car is driven off the lot the depreciation is built in.
The existing car cannot be retrofitted.
The solution is to replace the car.
The financial delta is tax and registration for most cases.
Other costs are:
1. extended warrenty cost which might transfer.
2. lojak which might transfer with a dealer push.

If the dealer picks up costs in excess of the voucher in order to keep the customer then there is no out of pocket cost for the transition to a new car.
Did I miss anything? (Please be kind, I am not in this business, and have been thrust into a decision and I'm struggling to determine what to do.)
Old 04-28-2003, 04:01 PM
drb

My salesman called back. Bottom line, he will put me in a new 03 E320, exact copy of the existing, with no out of pocket cost to me. I will drive my car to the dealership, drop off my keys, drive out in the new car with DVD-NAV. Order has been placed. Wood wheel will be tossed in by the dealership for free. Delivery in about 10 weeks.

The salesman noted this offer will not involve the 04 model year.

Last edited by drb; 04-28-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
I bought my car in Authobahn and my sales said he also didnt hear anything bout the nav. so i guess for 2003 car theres no nav...
Old 04-28-2003, 04:27 PM

COMAND Resolution

My salesman called back. Bottom line, he will put me in a new 03 E320, exact copy of the existing, with no out of pocket cost to me. I will drive my car to the dealership, drop off my keys, drive out in the new car with nav. Order has been placed. Wood wheel will be tossed in by the dealership for free.

The saleman noted this offer will not involve the 04 model year.

Great job, drb!. Congratulations on your achievement. I hope that I will be able to achieve a similar result. This is the result that should be achieved in this case, in my opinion.

Legacy
Old 04-28-2003, 05:56 PM

1992 Ford Taurus with 13" rims
Originally posted by drb
My salesman called back. Bottom line, he will put me in a new 03 E320, exact copy of the existing, with no out of pocket cost to me. I will drive my car to the dealership, drop off my keys, drive out in the new car with DVD-NAV. Order has been placed. Wood wheel will be tossed in by the dealership for free.

Is a wood steering wheel really worth the hassle of going without NAV for who knows how long? Also, like I said before, we're not coming out ahead, or even equal to where we were. MB's deal simply buys them more time; it does nothing for us.

I think that people giving in to MB demands so soon are shorting them selves. I have an appointment with my lawyer Saturday to discuss the legality of any lawsuits against MB. I am looking for a refund of my money minus a reasonable payment for miles on the car (maybe 15 cents a mile).

They sold me something I didn't want. Give me my money back, I’ll decide what year, and model car I want.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:04 PM

06 SL 500
I agree with you. Not only did I not receive the car I paid for I have many other issues with the car. The combination of all of these has convinced me I don't want another MB. This is after owning 21 over the years.

I agree that a refund minus some usage expense would be fair.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:50 PM
drb

Originally posted by wesam
Is a wood steering wheel really worth the hassle of going without NAV for who knows how long? Also, like I said before, we're not coming out ahead, or even equal to where we were. MB's deal simply buys them more time; it does nothing for us.

I think that people giving in to MB demands so soon are shorting them selves. I have an appointment with my lawyer Saturday to discuss the legality of any lawsuits against MB. I am looking for a refund of my money minus a reasonable payment for miles on the car (maybe 15 cents a mile).

They sold me something I didn't want. Give me my money back, I’ll decide what year, and model car I want.
I am not tracking you somehow. There is no out of pocket cost to me for this exact item for item exchange of my existing car. My existing miles are reset, wood wheel, and $500 compensation are part of the exchange. The delivery schedule slipped where nav was expected in Spring, now guaranteed early summer. This sounds as though I am ahead. I expect some of the bugs in the car to have been fixed by now. I turn over the car every 2 years anyhow, so I will pick my year. I do not like the C/S/Ms, do not want to own the wonderful SL due to the congestion where I live, so my model is prechosen.

If I did get a refund, I would turn around and get an 04 E. I can still do that after this exchange, but I will probably turnover in 05 per my schedule.

I negotiated a deal to deflect all out of pocket expenses which is greater than MBUSA offered in writing (just the voucher). So yes, the wheel helps, and I do not feel I gave in to MB's demands, I believe I raised the bar a bit in my favor. Your experience may vary.

If a refund makes you happy then more power to you.

ps I'm using a Magellan 750M for nav. Takes out some of the sting while I wait for integrated nav.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
Re: COMAND Resolution

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legacy
[B]__________________________________________________
drb posted:
My salesman called back. Bottom line, he will put me in a new 03 E320, exact copy of the existing, with no out of pocket cost to me. I will drive my car to the dealership, drop off my keys, drive out in the new car with nav. Order has been placed. Wood wheel will be tossed in by the dealership for free.

I am meeting my saleman tomorrow about the NAV issue, but hope that he gives me the same deal. I want to get E500 instead of E320. I had 5000 miles on it, will that be too much? what were your car milages when you exchanged your?

E320 brilliant silver/ash leather, E2, E3, 4-zones, Parktronics, rear shaded, 7 yr/100K, autobhann front and back, Teflon.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:37 PM

clk430, e500
Can anyone sean the letter and post it in here like the letter from Australia one
the letter from australia said can be retro-fit the command system then why not the E-class in the usa?
Old 04-28-2003, 07:40 PM
drb

Re: Re: COMAND Resolution

I am meeting my saleman tomorrow about the NAV issue, but hope that he gives me the same deal. I want to get E500 instead of E320. I had 5000 miles on it, will that be too much? what were your car milages when you exchanged your?

. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have 2500 miles now. By July I should have 3500. I only drive this car on the weekends on trips. I told my dealer up front what I wanted and asked for the wheel after the fact when he suggested I give him a good (I was not flattering last November) report this time (tip I learned from this forum). I've purchased from this dealer for the last 10 years, so that might make a difference.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
Re: Re: Re: COMAND Resolution

. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have 2500 miles now. By July I should have 3500. I only drive this car on the weekends on trips. I told my dealer up front what I wanted and asked for the wheel after the fact when he suggested I give him a good (I was not flattering last November) report this time (tip I learned from this forum). I've purchased from this dealer for the last 10 years, so that might make a difference. [/B][/QUOTE]

You are right, they treat each customer differently escpecially me because I am only 26, and first time MB buyer. So I don't think my saleman would treat me like they did to you.

Anyway, thank you very much.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:21 AM

2007 CLS550
The $3250 rebate voucher applies only to those who have NOT pre-paid for navigation. From what I understand, the rebate requires you to trade in your vehicle and is essentially there to cover a portion of the upside down amount. So if you have pre-paid for nav, there really are only two options. By the way, when you negiotated your replacement car, was there any resistance from the dealership (wood wheel, no out of pocket)?
Old 04-29-2003, 06:51 AM
Almost a Member!

drb, what dealership

I seem to remember from the virginia dealer thread that you used American Sercice Center? I got my car via HBL and they said they'd put me in a new car as well, but did ask me if I leased or bought the car first. I ended up doing this finance/lease hybrid which I guess qualifies for the lease terms since they told me my two options were a new car in exchange (same options) or $2000.

However, I have not discussed with them any offers to sweeten the deal yet, so I'd like some data points from local folks that I can use when negotiating with them. Rayscar, I think you also used HBL? What did they tell you?

Thanks,

-Eric
Old 04-29-2003, 07:35 AM
drb

Originally posted by rhahn
The $3250 rebate voucher applies only to those who have NOT pre-paid for navigation. From what I understand, the rebate requires you to trade in your vehicle and is essentially there to cover a portion of the upside down amount. So if you have pre-paid for nav, there really are only two options. By the way, when you negiotated your replacement car, was there any resistance from the dealership (wood wheel, no out of pocket)?
No resistance. When I sent in the post sale customer sales survey last year, I gave them low marks in several areas. The salesman wants me to give him good marks this time, and noted the dealership wants the nav fiasco to behind them soonest. They seem motivated to satisfy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Command Solution - two MBUSA letters