E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Do I flush transmission of BG fluid or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Question Do I flush transmission of BG fluid or not?

I took my 2005 E320 in for a routine transmission service approx 1 1/2 year and 11,000 miles ago. I didn't realize it at the time but the transmission service consisted of a flush and fill with BG synthetic ATF and BG additive. There was no filter change. Car had 50,000 miles on it at the time.

I was disappointed that the filer wasn't changed as part of the service and have been meaning to do drop the pan and replace the filter myself, but I kept putting it off.

Fast forward to the present...I recently purchased a new filter with gasket and was researching what type of fluid I'll need to add when I top-off the system. This is when I realized that BG fluid and BG additive was used by my dealer instead of an approved MB fluid. How can this be?!?

I spoke with MBUSA tech support this afternoon and got confirmation from them that BG ATF is NOT an approved fluid and MBUSA does NOT recommend its use in a Mercedes transmission. I also notice that BG is not listed on sheets 236.10, 236.12 or 236.14.

Now I'm debating what to do. Do I drop the pan, replace the filter and top-off with BG synthetic ATF and hope for the best? Or, do I go back to the dealer who performed the work and request that they flush all of the non-approved BG product out of my transmission and refill with MB ATF (free of charge)?

By the way, I haven't noticed any problems with the transmission in the past 11,000 miles since the BG fluids were added.

What would you guys do? I know, shame on me for taking so long to notice that BG ATF was used. In my defense, I had never heard of BG ATF until now and always figured the "BG 31 2530" part number on the service receipt was my dealer's shop code for MB ATF. It's no wonder my SA wouldn't return my call when I asked him to find out what the equivalent MB part number is for the fluid that was used. There isn't one!

What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

Last edited by jkv11503; 01-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Drain

change filter and follow diy for the 722.6 trans on the W210 forum diy section
www.benzworld.org
you will need the special dipstick
and you can use mb spec nag1 valvoline maxlife fluid
yes it meets all specs and is far less mooola.
autohausaz.com has the filter and gasket
someone around here has the stik and pan magnet.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by ohlord
change filter and follow diy for the 722.6 trans on the W210 forum diy section
www.benzworld.org
you will need the special dipstick
and you can use mb spec nag1 valvoline maxlife fluid
yes it meets all specs and is far less mooola.
autohausaz.com has the filter and gasket
someone around here has the stik and pan magnet.
Thanks. I already have the dipstick, filter and DIY instructions. I've been doing my homework.

What I'm looking for now is advice as to which way I should go with regards to the fluid. Do I simply replace the filter and continue to use the BG fluid, or do I approach the service manager and ask him to flush it at no cost using the argument that BG ATF shouldn't have been used in the first place since it's not on the list of MB approve products?

Are you saying that you would replace the filter, flush, and refill with MB spec Valvoline? I suppose that could be a third option.

Last edited by jkv11503; 01-19-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Interesting thread! I also had my transmission flushed one year ago by the dealer, and the fluid part number was BG3124. I do not believe that Mercedes would use the BG fluid if it was not approved by Mercedes, but then again, they are suppose to drop the pan and change the filter instead of just performing the flush! Here is a link to a iscussion last year:
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...tech-help.html
Mike T.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 AM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I do not believe that Mercedes would use the BG fluid if it was not approved by Mercedes...
Mike T.
I asked that same question to MBUSA: 'Why would a Mercedes dealer be allowed to use a non-approved product in the transmission?' The MBUSA rep told me that the dealership that serviced my car is an independent Mercedes dealer, and as such, they are not required to follow Mercedes' recommendations.

Last edited by jkv11503; 01-19-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
Originally Posted by jkv11503
I asked that same question to MBUSA: 'Why would a Mercedes dealer be allowed to use a non-approved product in the transmission?' The MBUSA rep told me that the dealership that serviced my car is an independent Mercedes dealer, and as such, they are not required to follow Mercedes' recommendations.

If that the case, then you should ask him if MB is going is going to honor any warranty or future issues after warranty period.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:40 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by charliele729
If that the case, then you should ask him if MB is going is going to honor any warranty or future issues after warranty period.

I wish I could. Unfortunately, the car was out of warranty when the flush was performed which means that there isn't much of a chance of me getting MB coverage should something go wrong. BG, however, offers their own warranty when you use their transmission fluid and their transmission conditioner together. Based upon my car's mileage, they'll pay a whopping $1000 for transmission repairs. I guess you could say that it's more coverage than I had before using their fluid. But is it worth the risk? Not to me. http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgprotectionplan.htm

I've sent MB USA an email asking for their official response to the use of non-approved transmission fluid by a Mercedes service center and whether performing a transmission flush without a pan drop/filter change is an acceptable procedure. We'll see what they have to say about the matter.