Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF fluid (Life Fill) MBTech Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Unhappy ATF fluid (Life Fill) MBTech Help!!

MBTech, Can Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF be used in place of the life fill fluid. I've used this ATF on virtually all my other vehicles and had great use withit, and wanted to know if it meets the standards of the MB part number for the Life fluid. I already E-mailed Mobil1 and also MB USA. I can only imagine what their response is going to be. Almost hopped in my sister's 00 E320 to ask Tele-aid!, but thought you would be a better start. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2001, 01:29 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
Angry MBUSA Response

Go figure, no synthetic or syntetic as MBUSA says approved in lieu of the Life fluid for the ATF. This is going to take some time to absorb.

"Dear Mr. Busch

The approved ATF for your vehicles are listed below:

Castrol Dextron III/Mercon ATF
Castrol Transmax M-22257
Chevron ATF Dextron III
Citgo Multipurpose ATF
Exxon Superflo ATF Dextron III
Havoline ATF Mercon/Dextron III
Texaco ATF Mercon/Dextron III
Pennzoil ATF D-22413
Quaker State Dextron III/Mercon
Sunoco ATF Dextron III/Mercon
Unocal Multi-Purpose ATF D22413
Valvoline ATF Type D

*Mobil 1 syntetic ATF is not approved for use in your vehicle*

If you have further questions, please contact our Customer Assistance
Department at 1-800-367-6372

Surya Boonphadung
Elite Customer Assistance Coordinator
Mercedes-Benz USA LLC.
1-800-367-6372 ext. 4661"

Well what do you guys think?????
Old 12-07-2001, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazing that Mobil is not approved and yet when you open up the hood of an AMG it says Mercedes Benz and AMG recommends Mobil??
Old 12-17-2001, 09:30 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
Thumbs down

Here is the response from Mobil on using MOBIL 1 ATF fluid.

Subject:
Mobil
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:27:53 -0600
mobilproducts@ourdataworks.com
To:

Thank you for your inquiry:

Unfortunately, Mercedez Benz insists on using only Mercedez approved
fluids. We do not have the Mercedez approval on our fluid. You will
need
to obtain the fluid from the Mercedez dealership.

Technical Support Engineer (LWK)

--
The above information is provided in good faith based upon the
information presented by the customer. ExxonMobil is not responsible for

any loss or damage resulting from inaccuracies or errors in any of the
information provided or any acts or omissions taken in response to our
advise.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
spelling

To badd Mobile Oil cain't spel wurth a dang.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 500
I flushed my transmission with BG full synthetic atf.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 PM

09' E320
OP should start with what model/year car it is....fluid requirements differ greatly.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by guofan
I flushed my transmission with BG full synthetic atf.
Please share your VIN so no one will buy your car.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM

W209 500
Originally Posted by lkchris
Please share your VIN so no one will buy your car.
a lot of people flush their system. It's a dealer advertised maintenance. I hear a mix variety of things for ATF. Since my mileage isn't 100k or more, it is okay to flush it. Told by the MB master tech.
If you read about it on some of the topics on atf, you may wanna buy my car after all.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
I personally would not put anything BG in any of my vehicles(I don't believe in aftermarket additives). Also as far as trans fluid is concerned, what ever the factory recommends I use.

In my Dodge Ram I use ATF +4 direct from Mopar. My opinion(note I said opinion) is transmissions should only use factory fluids. The cost difference between fluids is cheap insurance to me.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
My MB dealer flushed my transmission this week. I just purchased my 2006 CDI with 49,000 miles on it. This is what they did:

140-991-00-55 Lock Pin ($2.09)
BG3124 Synthetic Fluid ($116.95)
BGK6600 Auto Trans Flush (I assume that this is the machine used). ($22.95)

I also got the brake fluid and power steering flushed. Here is the power steering information:

BGK6700G (I assume that this is the machine). ($93.95)
Old 01-30-2010, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
BG fluid is not approved.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 c240 4matic wagon
I only use factory fluids im my cars

I got an acura from my uncle years ago he went to a lube shop and they put non factory atf in the tranny it shifted like crap

I changed it out to honda stuff (2 changes) and it shifted like new and has for 100,000km now

same with my dodge dakota atf+3 for that and 506,000km it shifted perfectly when i sold it

use the MB stuff better safe then sorry!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM

ml320 & c240
I've had very good results using Amsoil products.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Mobile does have an MB approved ATF they just do not sell it in the US and they just don't care enough to distribute it here. If you call mobile they will not give you the time of day on ways to obtain it. It's funny that they blame MBUSA

http://www.mobil.com/Italy-English/L...il_atf_134.pdf

Last edited by JonMBZ; 02-02-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Mobile does have an MB approved ATF they just do not sell it in the US and they just don't care enough to distribute it here. If you call mobile they will not give you the time of day on ways to obtain it. It's funny that they blame MBUSA

http://www.mobil.com/Italy-English/L...il_atf_134.pdf
The reason being, is ATF 134, is distributed through MB only in the US...this is the exact stuff used at the dealers.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Makes sense, but Mobile 134 is listed separate on the MB sheet from MB ATF. It's also weird that mobile says that MB does not want to use their oil only approved oil, but their oil is what MB uses? I guess these are low-level employees and don't know . You can tell by their writing and their phone etiquette.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
The reason being, is ATF 134, is distributed through MB only in the US...this is the exact stuff used at the dealers.
I can't help but wonder where the Mercedes oil wells and refinery are located that produces MB lubricants.

Given they don't have that support mechanism I would have to make the leap that some 'other' oil company produces the lubricant and puts MB label on it.

UMMMm I wonder...
Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 PM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by vettdvr
I can't help but wonder where the Mercedes oil wells and refinery are located that produces MB lubricants.

Given they don't have that support mechanism I would have to make the leap that some 'other' oil company produces the lubricant and puts MB label on it.

UMMMm I wonder...
It is produced by Mobil..Mobil is an MB partner. It of course will be listed separately on their service spec for operating fluids sheets, but it is the same stuff.

Any time they change fluid specs, which was done when we went to 134, it usually will first come in it's original packaging(Mobil)...that is until benz can print their labels up and slap them on.

There always seems to be a problem with European manufactures and specified oils or lubricants. Ducati recommends Shell Advance 4, but is impossible to get in the US.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
It is produced by Mobil..Mobil is an MB partner. It of course will be listed separately on their service spec for operating fluids sheets, but it is the same stuff.

Any time they change fluid specs, which was done when we went to 134, it usually will first come in it's original packaging(Mobil)...that is until benz can print their labels up and slap them on.

There always seems to be a problem with European manufactures and specified oils or lubricants. Ducati recommends Shell Advance 4, but is impossible to get in the US.
Sounds very much like Chevron Partner with Yamaha outboards.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM

2005 E320
My local MB dealer serviced my transmission by performing a flush and then filling with BG synthetic ATF and a bottle of BG conditioner. No filter change. I'm not too happy about having non-approved fluids in the my transmission.

What is the best method for removing all BG ATF from my transmission and replacing with MB approved ATF?

I've read all of the DIY docs on this forum. I know that I can simply drop the pan, install a new filter, reinstall the pan, then flush thoroughly with an MB approved ATF.

However, if using the above-mentioned procedure, will the new filter become "contaminated" with the old BG fluid that is being flushed out of the system?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by jkv11503
My local MB dealer serviced my transmission by performing a flush and then filling with BG synthetic ATF and a bottle of BG conditioner. No filter change. I'm not too happy about having non-approved fluids in the my transmission.

What is the best method for removing all BG ATF from my transmission and replacing with MB approved ATF?

I've read all of the DIY docs on this forum. I know that I can simply drop the pan, install a new filter, reinstall the pan, then flush thoroughly with an MB approved ATF.

However, if using the above-mentioned procedure, will the new filter become "contaminated" with the old BG fluid that is being flushed out of the system?
1) Check specs to confirm if the new installed fluid meets the MB spec. Call the company if necessary and get it in writing.

2) If it can't be confirmed OR is confirmed not meeting spec the only thing you can do is a power flush to remove the old fluid. It is possible to do at home by removing pump suction line and return line then pumping new fluid through until previous fluid is removed. I would prefer to have a professional do it and do the correct flush.

3) If it meets the spec don't change it. Since your MB dealer did this and will have to warranty the work you might call MB service rep and confirm they did the correct procedure / fluid. Perhaps they just errored and will install the correct fluid.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 PM

2005 E320
1) Check specs to confirm if the new installed fluid meets the MB spec. Call the company if necessary and get it in writing.
I spoke with the local BG sales rep this morning. He wasn't able to provide any written docs, but he claimed that BG's ATF specs far exceed what is required by Mercedes. He didn't see the humor when I mentioned that he's getting paid to say that. He was so deep into his "BG is the best ATF ever made" spiel that I couldn't resist a little jab.

2) If it can't be confirmed OR is confirmed not meeting spec the only thing you can do is a power flush to remove the old fluid. It is possible to do at home by removing pump suction line and return line then pumping new fluid through until previous fluid is removed. I would prefer to have a professional do it and do the correct flush.
I don't have a problem flushing it myself if it comes to that. My only concern with flushing it myself is contaminating the new filter. Is it possible to flush out the old fluid without comprising the new filter? Would it be safe to flush the system without a filter installed?

3) If it meets the spec don't change it. Since your MB dealer did this and will have to warranty the work you might call MB service rep and confirm they did the correct procedure / fluid. Perhaps they just errored and will install the correct fluid.
I sent an email to MBUSA this evening requesting their official response to the work that was performed by my local MB service center and the fluids that they used. I guess I'll eventually have to discuss this issue with the service manager where they performed the work.

Take a look at the attached Star Bulletin that I just located. I'm thinking that it could prove useful when I talk to the service manager since it specifically states to "Only use the transmission oils...in sheet 236.14." MB can't make it much clearer than that. I've looked all over the place and BG ATF is not listed on any of the MB sheets that I've seen.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB ATF bulletin.pdf (39.4 KB, 392 views)

Last edited by jkv11503; 01-19-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by jkv11503
I spoke with the local BG sales rep this morning. He wasn't able to provide any written docs, but he claimed that BG's ATF specs far exceed what is required by Mercedes. He didn't see the humor when I mentioned that he's getting paid to say that. He was so deep into his "BG is the best ATF ever made" spiel that I couldn't resist a little jab.

I don't have a problem flushing it myself if it comes to that. My only concern with flushing it myself is contaminating the new filter. Is it possible to flush out the old fluid without comprising the new filter? Would it be safe to flush the system without a filter installed?

I sent an email to MBUSA this evening requesting their official response to the work that was performed by my local MB service center and the fluids that they used. I guess I'll eventually have to discuss this issue with the service manager where they performed the work.

Take a look at the attached Star Bulletin that I just located. I'm thinking that it could prove useful when I talk to the service manager since it specifically states to "Only use the transmission oils...in sheet 236.14." MB can't make it much clearer than that. I've looked all over the place and BG ATF is not listed on any of the MB sheets that I've seen.
Flush with the old filter, pull the pan change the filter then top off. You should be ok.

If it doesn't have the spec on the product and it is word of mouth, won't hold up in court. It must be on mfg spec sheet OR label stating meets spec.

If not it doesn't. Just say, show it on the spec sheet or label in writing.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I know that this is a old post, but to date (knock on all kinds of wood!), my transmission is ok after the BG flush and fill done in 2009 with 49k miles on my cdi by ASC in Arlington, VA.

If the BG transmission fluid is NOT approved by Mercedes, why would ASC use a non-approved fluids?

I have since moved to Williamsburg VA and spoke to the service writer at Tysinger Mercedes in Hampton, VA. I asked him how they performed the transmission service. He said that per Mercedes guidelines, they drop the pan, change the filter and install new fluid (approximately 4 or 5 quarts). They do not flush or drain the entire system and does not offer that service.

My cdi currently has 90k miles on it. I am at least happy that the filter will be changed, but my concern is the mixing of the BG and Mercedes fluids. I plan on getting this done in August as I have an inspection due.
Mike T.