E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Side mirror turn signal need help replacing

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
E500 Side mirror turn signal need help replacing

I have ordered the part and searched with no luck for instructions on removal of the right pass side mirror to replace the led's due to lense jumping out and grabbing mail box. I will have the part in a few days and thought someone might have changed this part. No luck in searches.

Any help would be appreciated. vettdvr
Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
anyone?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E500
I just Googled "e500 side mirror turn signal," and this came up halfway down the first page. Seems like this should cover it, or am I missing something?

http://www.moressi.it/MERCEDES%20E%2...0indicator.htm
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Thanks to DanG2 for the link! This should be made a sticky in the DIY section!

vettdvr, I know u're into planes so if you go to the main website:

http://www.moressi.it/

you can see that not only can this guy fix W211's, but he actually got to fly a MIG-29!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by DanG2
I just Googled "e500 side mirror turn signal," and this came up halfway down the first page. Seems like this should cover it, or am I missing something?

http://www.moressi.it/MERCEDES%20E%2...0indicator.htm
GREAT.. I googled also and only found 210 info. Thanks. Not just to keep the wife away from mailboxes.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That link is for the newer style mirror 2007+.

I've replaced my turn indicator, so here goes:

Bend the entire spring loaded mirror towards the rear of the car and using a thin flat headed screwdriver, insert the screwdriver between the metal release tab that will now be visible on the backside.

I found it easiest to "lean" into the mirror to hold it back. Once the release tab is "depressed" pull the mirror housing out and gently place the mirror back to it's original position (remember it's spring loaded so do it slowly). Now you can remove the old indicator which is held on by torx screws ( if I remember correctly ).

I think the new part will also have an additional bulb attached to a wire that works as a "puddle light" for the newer models. I just snipped that wire off and covered the end with electrical tape.

Install the new indicator with the original torx bolts and then just push the mirror housing all the way on until it clicks and locks into place.

Done.

Gary
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Part arrives Thurs afternoon dentist Fri so I will do the repair asap,, the annual safety inspection is due this month.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by E500 AMG Sport
That link is for the newer style mirror 2007+.

I've replaced my turn indicator, so here goes:

Bend the entire spring loaded mirror towards the rear of the car and using a thin flat headed screwdriver, insert the screwdriver between the metal release tab that will now be visible on the backside.

I found it easiest to "lean" into the mirror to hold it back. Once the release tab is "depressed" pull the mirror housing out and gently place the mirror back to it's original position (remember it's spring loaded so do it slowly). Now you can remove the old indicator which is held on by torx screws ( if I remember correctly ).

I think the new part will also have an additional bulb attached to a wire that works as a "puddle light" for the newer models. I just snipped that wire off and covered the end with electrical tape.

Install the new indicator with the original torx bolts and then just push the mirror housing all the way on until it clicks and locks into place.

Done.

Gary
Ok I never saw the release tab. However with the mirror out INSIDE I saw the tab and pulled it out which released the outer housing. Pretty easy ONCE I saw the tab but a real PIA to find when I could not see it from inside the hinge. Mine was ONLY accessable from inside the housing with mirror out, and don't ask why because I don't know.

Once the painted housing was off replacement of the damaged turn signal was straight forward and 5 min work.

Note however I removed the spring to get to the tab which may not be necessary. It was relatively easy to reinstall with the outer housing off.

The most difficult was installation of the mirror into the completed assembly. Won't go into all the words used but finally got it in place and locked "I think"

Now doing it again would be much easier. Remove mirror, motor, release tab then outer housing and R&R damaged parts. Installation is pretty easy until I got to the mirror. But at least it is completed and back to ops normal.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Bump this. Busted passenger side lens yesterday. Tackling this job myself
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by novae500
Bump this. Busted passenger side lens yesterday. Tackling this job myself
The mirror should not be too hard to change. Move mirrow to full down and look behind the tip an dyou will see a spring retainer. Use a small screwdriver and push the spring clip out of the retainer and the mirror should release. A few pics I took attached.
Attached Thumbnails E500 Side mirror turn signal need help replacing-dscn4157.jpg   E500 Side mirror turn signal need help replacing-dscn4158.jpg   E500 Side mirror turn signal need help replacing-dscn4159.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Thanks for the tips. Ordered from parts.com and waiting. Hopefully i can knock it out in less than 30min. I have to do the same on my other w211.