E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Father Purchased A 2009 E550 W/AMG PKG

Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E550
Father Purchased A 2009 E550 W/AMG PKG

Hi all,

He recently bought it with roughly 45,000 on the ODO. Car is in pristine condition, but the tires and brakes need to be changed. With regard to OEM parts such as the brakes, is there a website that gives you the item numbers for MB parts? I personally drive a BMW and we have realoem.com; is there an equivalent to that for the MB folks? The rotors look to be stock and they are drilled.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by freethrowdnk
Hi all,

He recently bought it with roughly 45,000 on the ODO. Car is in pristine condition, but the tires and brakes need to be changed. With regard to OEM parts such as the brakes, is there a website that gives you the item numbers for MB parts? I personally drive a BMW and we have realoem.com; is there an equivalent to that for the MB folks? The rotors look to be stock and they are drilled.

Thanks.
I use parts.com very often, they always take care me
Old 09-11-2011, 01:31 AM

2009 E550
Originally Posted by delviacv2
I use parts.com very often, they always take care me
Thank you. I found similar websites, but am unsure about the specifics of the car. For example, it asks if it is an "E550 (211.072)" or an "E550 4M (211.090)." What do the numbers in the parentheses indicate and what does the 4M mean? How can I find out which one our car falls under? Thanks much.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Thank you. I found similar websites, but am unsure about the specifics of the car. For example, it asks if it is an "E550 (211.072)" or an "E550 4M (211.090)." What do the numbers in the parentheses indicate and what does the 4M mean? How can I find out which one our car falls under? Thanks much.
I'm not sure of the correct model there, I have never had that issue with them.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:45 AM

2009 E550
Originally Posted by delviacv2
I'm not sure of the correct model there, I have never had that issue with them.
The website/company that asks this is not the same one you posted. In any case, I am still curious to find out about these numbers and certain other distinguishing factors between a base model 550 and one with the AMG package, as I am a complete novice when it comes to MBs.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 AM

2009 E550
I found out the '4M' stand for 4matic, so that doesn't apply to our car.

With respect to brake rotors for the front:

http://www.racepages.com/products/?s...versal:1%29%29

Would those be a good replacement for OE? Are Zimmermans regarded highly in terms of quality and fit?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:40 AM

MB
First of all, congrats!

4M=4Matic is the MB's designation for AWD or 4-wheel-drive system. It seems that you already found the answer already.

And for the numbers within the parentheses, I believe these are the internal codes for each of the chassis used by MBs to designate the different models...
Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 AM

2009 E550
Originally Posted by Maddic
First of all, congrats!

4M=4Matic is the MB's designation for AWD or 4-wheel-drive system. It seems that you already found the answer already.

And for the numbers within the parentheses, I believe these are the internal codes for each of the chassis used by MBs to designate the different models...
Thank you.

Can you shed some light with my most recent post pertaining to those Zimmermann rotors I found? The front rotors and pads need to be changed, and since the current ones are cross-drilled, we definitely want to change them for a pair that are as well and also, have decided on going with Akebono pads since that is what I have on my BMW and have no complaints about them thus far.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:08 AM

MB
Thank you.

Can you shed some light with my most recent post pertaining to those Zimmermann rotors I found? The front rotors and pads need to be changed, and since the current ones are cross-drilled, we definitely want to change them for a pair that are as well and also, have decided on going with Akebono pads since that is what I have on my BMW and have no complaints about them thus far.
I havent change my rotors yet as I have no knowledge about them. Do you happen to know that brands of the OE rotors? Is that happen to Zimmermann or Balo? I have no clues as I havent change them personally...
Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 AM

2009 E550
Originally Posted by Maddic
I havent change my rotors yet as I have no knowledge about them. Do you happen to know that brands of the OE rotors? Is that happen to Zimmermann or Balo? I have no clues as I havent change them personally...
Fair enough.

While I am fairly certain that Zimmermann is not OE, I am also confident that they manufacture reputable rotors for various cars including MBs based on a search of these forums (previous users' comments) and that they are advertised as "OE comparable" rotors. Perhaps other members who have had experience with them can attest to this.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 AM

2017 GLC43 'AMG'
I'm almost positive that "Zimmermann" was the brand-name of the aftermarket cross-drilled brake rotors (all four corners) that I bought on-line (~$60 each) and then had installed on my old 1999 C230 Kompressor sedan. I used OEM-type organic brake pads for the best combination of pedal feel and no-squeak quiet, and I accepted the dust and street (not track) performance.

The braking force ultimately depended on the tires and road surface. Under the right conditions (I particularly recall nice grippy Falken tires and a very short off-ramp), the brakes would be so aggressive that you could feel it trying to pull your face off. One could remove huge amounts of speed in a very short distance. Other tires would fail to grip and imposed limits on the braking force.

I didn't keep the '04 C240 4Matic long enough (3 years) to have to anything to the brakes. In fact, didn't do much repairs at all. Good car in the respect. It had solid rotors.

The '08 E350 4Matic is new to me in June. It came with original brakes, including (Sport Pkg) cross-drilled front rotors and solid rears. If and when the time comes, I'll repeat the process I followed before: buy cross-drilled rotors (all 4) and pads on-line, and have them installed. Makes for a very cost-effective brake job.

I prefer having cross-drilled rotors also in the rear wheels simply because it adds visual balance and a subtle hint of aggressiveness to the appearance.

If you're buying on-line, there are many places that offer free shipping.

Also, be careful to determine Sport Pkg or not.